Showcase - February 8-14, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dropped a new beat "Lost Ones". Let me know what you think about this

Great mix. Nice intro. Very smooth. I would say add in a vocal snippet a couple of times to make it pop even more.

This sounds great. A perfect Meek beat.

Nice melody. I can definitely hear some vocals over this. My preference would be to add a movie quote in the middle of the beat somewhere, it just has that type of vibe.

Flip G

Nzyte
So this week I tried some NY compression methods to get the drums to pop more and played with some verbs to try to create some space... let me know what works and what didn't

Thanks for all the input... I'm getting a little better at this

@The Thrillz - very cinematic... the mix is awesome with a lot of dimension to it with all the different spaces... track has the potential to be a break out for an artist with something to say... kodak would kill this right now... great job!

@Marc Duncan - fun futuristic track... gives me Future vibes...good use of the guitar sample and vocals... this kind of makes me think of swae lee too... good job on the percussion tracks also

Just finished this..

@The Thrillz This is a really nice beat, love the whole feel of it. got nothing constructive. Great sound selection. Pure banger.

@Marc Duncan I thought this was going to be a commercial beat at first but then the bass dropped. .Nice changes and variation keeps things interesting.

@XIS This is a dope track, I think the bass could be a bit thicker and more upfront and some of those synths can sit back a little, they drown out the vocal a little. Another very original track, dope work.

lofiweekly

Put together a quick beatmaking video over the weekend using the PO-33 KO & CRAFTsynth 2.0 (which I'm actually giving away!)

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
@The Thrillz i friggin love how the second chord in that piano progression hangs for a sec... very nice and subtle vocals in there too... its really good dont have much more to add always struggle to find stuff to say about ur stuff...its really outstanding keep doing this shit bruh

@Marc Duncan i like the vocal intro and that guitar... feel that 808 sounds abit off...like its maybe too busy musically ? dunno might just be me i like the hatwork and the percsussion its really nice... composition and mix is also on point

@XIS this is a banger my man i love how diifferent and unexpected it is... keep going in this direction if you can its really refreshing.... drums sound way better now.. might need to eq that bright synth a bit with a cut so it dosnt block the vocal but i like the comp of it...stellar work dude

@2GooD Productions im a sucker for a good string section....this has that laid back trap sound i feel you do really well.. i like how all the instrumental parts are distinct and that you add new instruments to keep it fresh... that bitcrush on the synth that comes in is really nice... good work dude

@OMAR. i friggin love that glass bottle sound on the main melody... it has like a cheeky feel to it... just sounds like mischeif is about to go down... nice mix and jazzy shit like this is always cool...could maybe do with a bridge or breakdown to spice up the composition

heres my two for the week

Heres something a little different. Oldskool reggae.
A song I finally finished today after about 8 years.

@Crispifier The promised land. Loving the sound selection. This is really dope. Cant fault it at all. Lots of subtle complexity. Dope as fuck.
Gourmet shit. The scratches in the intro sound real nice. You get the balance between a lot going on and simplicity bang on. Great work. My favorite is promised land.

@OMAR. Great sample, I like what you have done with it. I think you could do a little more with it though, like a hook that changes things up a bit, it doesnt really change up much. Dope beat though.

Last edited:

rek-

Battle Points: 1
@The Thrillz thats a sick beat, enjoying the nostalgic vibes, really good mix, that super deep 808 is killer!

@Marc Duncan Love the chill summer vibes in this one! your low end its a bit messy the kick its getting canceled by the 808 some frecuencys are overlaping there.

@XIS killer song, killer beat, amazing overall! are you using parallel compression in the drum bus?

@2GooD Productions I enjoy the 808 glides in the beat, feels a bit weak in the mix for me.

@OMAR. Amazing sampling, that marimba is dope af.

@Crispifier thats some gourmet shit right there , really diggin the snare in the offbeat makes my feal kinda loose in the track.

Im posting one beat + one song this week.

Samba Cumlaude
3 AM

Flip G

Nzyte
@2GooD Productions - (Creep) sounds like a bone thugs song kind of 90's feeling... defiantly a double time rapper flow on this like a twista... i would add just a tad of reverb to some of the instruments tho... good job
(Tonight) throw a de-esser on the vocals... maybe automate on certain parts

@Crispifier - thanks for your ears... I have learned so much stuff in passing I'm glad to know some of it works (louder drums with NY compression)... I actually didn't like the drums that much at first : )
(Gourmet shit) sounds like a west coast banger... I don't know why but I would like to hear Xzibit on this or Dj Quick or Kendrick... this has a nice bounce to it and the outro is dope too
(The Promised Land) good job on creating space in this mix... the effect chops are a nice touch... feels like a movie... I'd put ja rule on it, lol

@rek- Yup, last week I got some tips that my drums were a little soft so I remembered that I can beef them up with a slow attack compressor on a parallel aux... one for the important sounds like kick and snare... seems like it worked : ) shout out the forum

(Samba Cumlaude) this is dope... makes wanna freestyle and light some sage! I would defiantly bump this!
(3am) This is ill too...very soothing and organic in feel... I like the line noise fade in at the end too... keep doing your thing

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
@The Thrillz I like this, dramatic sound and a great mix. Can definitely picture losing to this on a beat battle over here lol.

@Marc Duncan Very crisp highs there, maybe the little triangle ding is too rich in them. No complaints otherwise, this is ready.

@XIS The synth at 1:10 seems to be a bit loud in the mix, not a fan of that part. Same for when it's in the chorus, otherwise it all fits the vocals.

@2GooD Productions That first one has some unexpected drum samples, I like it. Good to hear something outside of the same '80s drum machine shit. Even the C64 style synths came across well.

Getting into Kontakt, working with some keyboard libraries + samples.

@rek- Yup, last week I got some tips that my drums were a little soft so I remembered that I can beef them up with a slow attack compressor on a parallel aux... one for the important sounds like kick and snare... seems like it worked : ) shout out the forum
with parallel compression the compression is full on, you just mix it in until you get the desired result from the mix of uncompressed and compressed signal. Id use the slow attack method when compressing directly and not parallel, say for example with glue compression on a drum bus, or even on a sound i would like to be less dynamic and more even in volume. The key to the attack speed is when you start to lose the transients(really important with vocals and drums), thats when you pull back on the attack a little. It really does come down to the individual sounds and what you wish to achieve with it as to what attack and release times you set. I dont use parallel(new york) compression much, but I always use compression, both side-chained from the kick to the bassline and on individual tracks. I often side-chain the kick and bass and also compress the bass separately to even out the volumes of the notes and to get it to stand out more in the mix. Sometimes I compress the kick, and the drum bus. It all really depends on what Im going for or what is required at the time. But understanding compression will take you mix game to the next level, takes a while to get to grips with, but once you get your head around it, it makes sense and will do wonders and you will wonder what was so mysterious about it in the first place. The best thing for making drums come alive is subtle reverb, its so easy to go overboard with the reverb, Ive often heard it said "When it sounds like you have the right amount of reverb, half it" Less is more when it comes to drums. I also put a high pass filter or cut the low end with an eq on my reverb bus, at around 120 - 200 hz, low end reverb sounds shit, but used sparingly on kicks it adds a whole new level of real to them. I find more "early reflections" set fast and less "tail" works really well for drums, gives it more of a room feel and not a hall feel. Hope some of this helps you out.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
Here's one I dropped recently. Feedback and a sub is welcome :)

@The Thrillz I like the sound. To me, it sounds like something that could be placed in a movie or tv show.

@Marc Duncan Sort of a cosmic/psychedelic vibe I'm getting but it's nice.

@XIS I agree with the earlier comments about the synths being too prominent but other than that, not a bad track

@2GooD Productions I like it for the type of beat that it is. Nice pulsating vibe to it and range of elements presented.

@rek- Add a little more Hip Hop soul and I think Q-Tip from Tribe CQ might spit on this one (Samba Cumlaude).

@Drago Zetić I wished it switched up a bit more but I still like it.

jafar4000

Battle Points: 3
Nothing here yet.

Indiferencia Shrug GIF

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
Heres something a little different. Oldskool reggae.
A song I finally finished today after about 8 years.

@Crispifier The promised land. Loving the sound selection. This is really dope. Cant fault it at all. Lots of subtle complexity. Dope as fuck.
Gourmet shit. The scratches in the intro sound real nice. You get the balance between a lot going on and simplicity bang on. Great work. My favorite is promised land.

@OMAR. Great sample, I like what you have done with it. I think you could do a little more with it though, like a hook that changes things up a bit, it doesnt really change up much. Dope beat though.

Perhaps add some delay to the drums and distort/soft clip the organs a bit more. The first sax note has to be a bit longer to lead into the staccato one right after. This is a nice throwback track regardless.

Stoned Monk

Music & Chill
Battle Points: 16
@Fury Beats The 808 could hit a little bit harder in my opinion and I think smoother transitions between the parts would bring the beat to another level. But I like the piano riff and the way you used the sample. Keep it up!
@Drago Zetić I really liked the laid back drums and the melodic elements at the end. Actually I enjoyed your beat, good work!

My beat for the week. Feedback is welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.