Showcase - April 11-17, 2022

• beat this! voting starts in...
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikwen

ILLIEN
Cooked up another banger

Has that retro video game vibe! Overall really nice and very high energy. At some point, I wished the retro sounds would stop for a few bars. I feel less can be more there. The hi-hat rolls are really nice. You've also worked hard to ensure enough variation over the length of the beat to keep it interesting. Good job!

@Amnesia Arab Money. This is dope, I can see this having a place in a movie. Im thinking futuristic arcade scene where the hero needs to go and get some contraband from the Islamic Fundamentalist that runs the place. Your typical stereotyping you see in movies. But with a badass soundtrack.

@Kane the MOD This beat feels like its lacking a layer, a little something to fill that empty space between the chops of the sample, Im thinking a pad or string section, or even just a texture but low in the mix. Just to bridge those small gaps. Id also consider adding a deeper kick or an original 808 to occasionally drop to add sub weight to your kick and the beat as a whole.

@ck beat I like this, I love all the little things you do to keep it interesting, works really well.

Last edited:
Finished this one up this morning! Let me know what y'all think... Joint different.

Really captures the vibe of 90's RnB, would make a nice little outro or skit interlude track.
I think the drums, especially the snare hits a little hard for the vibe of the track, Im all about a hard hitting snare, but it doesnt suit this track IMO. I would just lower them a little to sit nicer with the feel of the beat, or even trim a little off the low end of the snare just to thin it slightly. The part with the rimshot sounds really nice and suits the vibe of the beat

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133

EsquireMusic111 I'm feeling the vibe on this track. The snare you used on the breakdown section was way too loud and sharp for my ears. Overall, good mix & good vibes.​

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
@Amnesia Arab Money. This is dope, I can see this having a place in a movie. Im thinking futuristic arcade scene where the hero needs to go and get some contraband from the Islamic Fundamentalist that runs the place. Your typical stereotyping you see in movies. But with a badass soundtrack.

@Kane the MOD This beat feels like its lacking a layer, a little something to fill that empty space between the chops of the sample, Im thinking a pad or string section, or even just a texture but low in the mix. Just to bridge those small gaps. Id also consider adding a deeper kick or an original 808 to occasionally drop to add sub weight to your kick and the beat as a whole.

@ck beat I like this, I love all the little things you do to keep it interesting, works really well.
Thank you. Very constructive helpful feedback. Much appreciated.

One more track for my peeps.

On this one the kick seems too far back in the mix, the low pad sounds really nice but its really lacking in the kick area of the freq spectrum. Sounds very strong in the mids area. I dunno has a hollow feel to me, doesnt sound full. Fixing the kick might fix that, or bringing down some of the levels on the instruments. The flute sounds sick, love it. The beat seems to favour the same frequency range a vocalist would occupy, that could be an issue if adding vocals.

And another one!

Somehow missed this one before.
This one is much stronger in the kick region lol. I think the hi hat is a bit loud and dominating, the vocal in there sounds really nice. You like really reverby snares, I do too. You have a music soundtrack feel to your sound, more suited for instrumentals than for rappers, a lot like me. I enjoyed listening to this as Im typing away.

VVS

Banned

2GooD Productions thank you for the feedback! i don't produce beats tailored for artists, I just follow my inner instincts and what sounds good to me. We are all subconsciously inspired by different genres, producers and sounds which makes sense in retrospect as to why my music has that "soundtrack" feel.

VVS

Banned

Dj Iceman your track is pretty raw and gritty. halloween in new york or something along those lines lol. i would have added an 808 kick drum to enhance the dry kick and used a bit of compression and limiting to increase the loudness. overall nice beat!​

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
i love the beat, but the volume overpowers the vocals, which is a shame cause you got a DOPE voice!!
Thanks man. Funny thing is I turned the vocals down quite a bit when i went back over the track the other day. I guess I should have kept them where they were.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
I personally like this beat. its nice and SIMPLE, but there's a few things i need to clan up in the mix...

The drum choice for this is on point. Super gritty. The video fits it perfectly. Sounds like a psychological thriller murder mystery type beat. The one gripe I have is that I think it needs something to change it up, I feel like my ear is waiting for a drum changeup and maybe a different loop thats in a similar vein. Maybe some oneshot vocal stabs too. I dunno. Still dope af though.

Another Indian soundtrack inspired beat

You captured that vibe perfectly. The bassline is dope, definitely gets you movin I really like how wide it is. Drums are on point. Really have no complaints of it. It's not something I would go out of my way to listen to out of personal preference, granted that depends on the vocals that would be laid over it. I could see it being a dope track with the right artist. I'm also pretty lyric oriented when it comes to music. Theres a bunch of songs where i hate the beat but the lyrics are too good to ignore. Having said that, I don't hate this one. I don't mean to give that impression.
My attempt at low fi trap/hip-hop

Got kind of an airy vibe to it, i like that. I'd say it would be more suited to an interlude on an album than a full track. I wouldn't say its trap by any stretch of the imagination, however. As for the negatives, I'm not in love with the hi hat, personally. I think it's a bit too busy for the type of beat it is. Its such a chill beat, I think something a little more subdued would do it justice. Not saying that it's a wrong choice, i just think that theres better patterns out there.
I stuck this in the oven last night, and when I woke up it was cooked...

Already like it on the intro alone. Having got to the beat itself, it was not what i was expecting, but it was pleasant to listen to. The guitar is once again dope. I will say though, theres something wrong with the drum loop, I noticed it immediately after the beat drop, I'm not sure if its on the rollover or elsewhere, it happens at 1:12-1:14. I know for a fact that if I was rapping over it it would stop me dead in my tracks and I'd have to play catchup to keep the tempo.

Everything else is awesome though. Probably my favorite that I've heard from you otherwise. All the sound choices are top notch.
One more track for my peeps.

I like it. Real crisp sounding. Another one that's not my personal preference, I do appreciate the sound choice though. It all works really well together. I definitely like that it has a lot of elements in it that keep it interesting to the ear. It's not just a simple few loops. I don't really have anything negative to say about it. Just not my cup of tea.
Finished this one up this morning! Let me know what y'all think... Joint different.

I like it on first impression. It's definitely different. The guitar is nice. Has a really pleasing tone to the ear. If I had anything to say about it, unlike 2good (although I agree with him), I think the major problem is that the changeup in the middle is waaaay too loud compared to the rest of it. It's also got its own satisfying vibe to it, while remaining cohesive with the rest of the beat, if you brought the volume up for the rest of the beat around it I think it would work way better. I don't think its the change up that is loud, but that the rest of the beat is quiet. I had to turn my speakers up to get a good volume for listening to it, and then when the changeup happens it was just on the side of too loud for this time of night and i had to turn it back down.
And another one!

Really nice soundscape. I like the pad, works really nice with the vocal. Your sound choices are on point with this one. I think if I had anything to say is that the hat is a bit too in your face. It distracts from the rest of the overall sound imo. I think bringing it down a bit in the mix would make it substantially better. Havin said that god damn, you still have more to listen to in this showcase, really on one this time around eh
While I enjoy talking shit I also made a beat.

Hah its all good buddy, I wrote that song knowing that its not for everyone. Not the place for an argument anyway so I'll leave it alone, agree to disagree right? Theres a reason I also put out the challenge to diss me when I put it out. I want people who disagree. Nobody benefits from a lack of discussion.

Having said that, I feel like this beat is missing something. I like what's there, but it doesn't feel complete in a way you know? Needs something to bring it all together. I think 2good is on the nose with a string or something of the sort to fill out the soundscape.
My new track. Hope you enjoy to listen to this

Not really my style, but the bass line is dope keeps your attention for sure. The first breakdown is satisfying too. Lots of good changeups while keeping with the vibe. Drums are a bit trippy but it works.

Cooked up another banger

This one aint for me. Id like to comment more, but I can't really criticize it when its so far out of my preference, but in the effort to comment on everyone's uploads I figured I'd add my two cents. I appreciate most of the sound choices, they work together... the video gameish blooping sound puts me off big time though.

Finally, as a response that isn't a beat to review @OGBama, thanks for the feedback. As far as inspirations go, I can't really put a name to that. I'm sure there's subconscious influences that make up my overall sound, but I never have gone into writing lyrics with a specific style in mind. I've kind of always written in my own way. Lyrics come to me and then i work off of them, not the other way around where I want to have a sound and then i write lyrics with that in mind. Honestly a lot of my writing in the past has been done without a beat while I was at work (back when I had a job with even a second of downtime). This one was written to this beat, so it's a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.