Setup!?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
rite so im just about to build my new studio to start recording hip hop in !
So far my gear list is going to be ...
Custom built PC
ProTools with Mbox
Korg Triton Le
Akai MPC2000XL
Shure SM58 mic
Wot does every1 think to this setup wot should i get/not get or wot else could i get !?

B

BeatOff

If i were you i'd get a keyboard or synth that hardly anybody uses, the triton has been used to death. Other than that sounds good.

K

" Killah! "

Don't get the SM58, or keep it but also get a condenser microphone.

SM58 is a dynamic microphone that's good for on stage performances because it is durable and it generally is reliable.

In the studio, you usually want a condenser, and judging by the amount of money you are putting in your studio, you should really get a side address condenser microphone for recording vocals. This is key because condensers are generally better at handling a larger frequency range, are far more sensitive, and usually contribute to an overall better quality recording.

For the condenser, you would obviously need phantom power and a mixer that supports such an option (most do.)

Oktava MK 219 is a good large diaphragm mic that is affordable. $149.99 USD for 2 of them)

For non-Russian mics, that cost a bit more, look at an AKG C-3000. $299 USD.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'd suggest the pc with a (power)pulsar and A16 by Creamware.
A mackie desk ( VL1604 )
Genelec 1029a
2nd hand MPC2000 ( not even the XL ).
2nd Roland JV module ( like 1080,2080 )
cheap ass analogue synth with midi and usable sound for use as masterboard ( Roland JX3,8,P/Alpha Juno1,2/Korg Dw6 or 8k/Prophecy/ Yamaha QS200/SY 35 to 99/ DX100/ ).
If u gotz cash left try a good sturdy sampler like the Z4,8/S5K,6k or Emu. If not, the pulsar serves as an excellent sampler which can be triggered by MPC.