Sampling - Where to draw the line.

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I will sample any and every fuckin thing as long as it sounds dope. However, I will not sample something really well known (like a chart hit from the last 5 years) and I will not sample another hip hop producer (although I may use a vocal line from a hip hop track to cut up.)

Where do you guys draw the line with what you will and won’t sample?

Cheers
Daymo

Papadukes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah, i agree with those rules. I also make an attempt to not use standard samples (i.e not between the sheet -isley brothers). Saying that i will use a tune that another producer has used but i won't use the same parts (not obviously anyways). Also now i'm avoiding the speeding up soul vocal since it gets fuckin rinsed nowdays (i have used it in the past and will probably do again). Thats it i think..

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I definitely follow the same rules as you, no other rap producers, and I try to stay away from well-known stuff.

I also, personally, have little respect for people who sample whole melodies and stuff like that. I mean, there are a lot of cats out there who just take an old song, slap some drums on it, and say they made a beat...I don't really see that as creative work, just theft.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Or even worse, those producers who sample a beat and then sell the same beat to two different artists when all they've change is the hi-hats and a cymbal and call it a new beat. I hate it when there are 2-3 songs out at the same time with the same beat. Damn it thats just plain lazy and triflin'. Jazzy Pha used the Notorius B.I.G. beat on the same damn song as the lead off single for Angie Stone's last album with Snoop on it. Where do I sign up to get paid off of the same beat twice????!!!!!!!!

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
word...at least have the courtesy to call it a different mix...maybe a remix but even then.

i pretty much sample anything that won't get me caught...if i sample james brown or something i'll make sure to mangle that sample until all thats left is the energy and not the recognizability.

there are cats out there that take other current hip hop/rnb songs and slice/chop/stutter the shit up out of them...like dj rupture and them. thing is it works because theres so much work put into it that it has integrity. plus its not like they are trying to hide it. i think its just a different side of it...you usually dont hear mc's over those pieces either...

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi-Lo said:
I definitely follow the same rules as you, no other rap producers, and I try to stay away from well-known stuff.

I also, personally, have little respect for people who sample whole melodies and stuff like that. I mean, there are a lot of cats out there who just take an old song, slap some drums on it, and say they made a beat...I don't really see that as creative work, just theft.

Ok fair enough but then what do you make of RZA on CREAM?
He's generally considered as one of the best producers in the industry and this is a classic Wu-Tang track. Would it have been even half as good without the Charmels sample?

Cheers
Daymo

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
limitations are for losers .. sample anything and everything that you can make hot .... if its hot you can sell it .. regardless of how simply you made it ... you can take that bullshit elitist point of view if you want but bottom line is if you sample something its still not your shit whether u keep a loop and add some drumz or chop it into a 1,000 pieces. It dosent make you better producer cuz you know how to use a beat slicer. Hot product is the name of the game only fools wil tell you different....... beside making beats is only 1 of the many roles of a producer.........KISS .. make hot tracks and you have done your job

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Tracks that are that good that out of respect for artist/producer I wont touch cuz I wont make a better version of it (and i know the definition of samplism).

Familiar samples, not familiar tracks because you can always sample different parts or hits from a track ( like troubleman has a good basis for sampling as it has no drums section except for the drumfill in the intro which is the only thing I sampled from the track but no-one will recognize it.

I dont sample anything from 80's or 90's, just anything before the 80's.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wont sample anything that is played originally with a digital instrument..such as a keyboard or those corny sounding digi drums they used back in the 80's.

Monday night football theme is off limits....I know somebody already used it, but I was shocked that they actually did.

Anything made in the late 80's and later...Off limits

Popular Music....Off limits

Shit thats been sampled once already.....unless it was done wrong the first time.

Oh yeah......yall are gonna hate me for this one but....
JAMES BROWN'S DRUMS

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Nothing is off limits. If you are creative enough, you can make anything sound hot if you do it right. I will sample any and everything. I don't care. If you think that sampling is okay at all, then it shouldn't matter what you sample. Sampling is sampling, period.

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dj360_iNfInItE1 said:
Nothing is off limits. If you are creative enough, you can make anything sound hot if you do it right. I will sample any and everything. I don't care. If you think that sampling is okay at all, then it shouldn't matter what you sample. Sampling is sampling, period.

Interesting point. In that case, would you have any issues with sampling the score from Scarface even though Mobb Deep already used it?

Cheers
Daymo

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
^Why not? I would just flip it differently and chop the heck out of it.^

1st Official

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
I'll sample anything. I just challenge myself anytime I start a beat to chop the sample to a point where its not obvious where I got it. I don't think rules apply to it. Its ur own creative way of making music. Setting limitations is only going to limit the possibility of making some hot shit.

www.myspace.com/1sto

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I never sample anymore but when I did, back in the days, I had these rules.

*I never sampled anything from Hip Hop. The further away the better and mostly from classical music.

*never leave the sample so you can recognize the sample even if you listen to it both after eachother. I always cut the samples up out of all recognition. After each key I cut and rearranged the melodie as I saw fit.

*Never sampled anything I knew anyone else had used. Even if I had worked a sample up and then afterwards heard another track with the same sample, then I Wouldn't continue the track.

Sampling is a fine line between beeing a creative soul and shaking things up to being someone who takes the easy way out I think.
I don't slamm om you guys for sampling. But it has to be done with soul and heart, not just copy 8 bars and paste.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Daymo said:
Ok fair enough but then what do you make of RZA on CREAM?
He's generally considered as one of the best producers in the industry and this is a classic Wu-Tang track. Would it have been even half as good without the Charmels sample?

Cheers
Daymo

I mean a guy like RZA has demonstrated what his talents are...if he happens to find an amazing sample, ok. But I know up and coming producers who just make a habit of putting drums on every jacked sample they can find, and its not art to me.

dResLo24

ill o.g.
The way I see it, Hip Hop has deep roots in sampling. From the DJ playing bits of pieces (the breaks) of other records. This is Hip Hop, sample whatever the fuck and how ever the fuck you want, be original though.

G

GregQuality

I think people make to much of a big deal on sampling.Sometimes you gotta really chopp and re-arange,other times you might find a nice loop,ad some drums an that is it.As long as the track is appeal'n an somthin heads is feelin.Thats really all that matters.ONE!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
lol its funny how people make up there own sampling code of hounour !

thou shall not covet thy neighbours records
thou shall not sample mozart !

lmao fuck it i'll use anything !

sample hoare !

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
lol its funny how people make up there own sampling code of hounour !

thou shall not covet thy neighbours records
thou shall not sample mozart !

lmao fuck it i'll use anything !

sample hoare !

HAHAHA...That is pretty funny that we do that shit!

members online