sampling tips

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
sampling help

im pretty new at sampling and i got this record the other day i really want to sample, can someone plz give me some tips

E

Equality 7-2521

record the part you want to sample, chop it up in a wave editor and rearange it in your sequencer.

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
record the part you want to sample, chop it up in a wave editor and rearange it in your sequencer.

how do i chop it up? and i dont have an mpc can i use fruity loops or cakewalk or something?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You need a wav editing program like Cool Edit or Adobe Audition... Take the wav into the program and cut it up how u want... I usually chop them into 1 bar or 1/2 bar samples, depending on the sample... If it's just one of them "anyone can notice it" samples like something Kanye would use then just get it to loop right and send it into fruity loops and play with it.. Otherwise, take it in there and chop it up how u please, just make sure you don't get any clicks...

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
yea get a Wav Editor thats for Sure I prefer Soundforge my Self but you can use CEP/Abobe Audtion or WaveLab

Find the part you like and since your new to it I would recommend Looping just play the part you like and try count a even 4 bars out or 2 bars or 8 bars watever suits you

once you got your loop throw it into F.L and add some drums and a Bassline maybe ... thats a start anyways hope that helps goodluck .

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
May I ask why are you producing ? or what is your motivation ?

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
DaSon said:
May I ask why are you producing ? or what is your motivation ?

because i love hip hop music, im addicted to it, and my motivation is prolly the hopes of a better life for my son and if i never did shit then when hes 7 or 8 he can have all my equipment

does that answer your question?

Alphabet

ill o.g.
Nothing like taking hot music from the past and breathing new life into it, sampling is the essence of hip hop

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Teknology said:
because i love hip hop music, im addicted to it, and my motivation is prolly the hopes of a better life for my son and if i never did shit then when hes 7 or 8 he can have all my equipment

does that answer your question?

thats wassup. the birth of my kid was my motivation too. or maybe it was more like a escape method for dealing with the bullshit my baby mama dishing out. huh.

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ShortFuze said:
thats wassup. the birth of my kid was my motivation too. or maybe it was more like a escape method for dealing with the bullshit my baby mama dishing out. huh.

i feel ya, my babys mama is motivation for me too, she thinks ill never amount too shit so i wanna prove her wrong whats that saying " success is the best revenge"

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Teknology said:
i feel ya, my babys mama is motivation for me too, she thinks ill never amount too shit so i wanna prove her wrong whats that saying " success is the best revenge"

I been doing it cuz I like doing it for about 10 years. I have nothing to prove to my wife or kids they see my success when I make that mortgage payment and fill that big ass refrigerator full of food. The music is my thing. I zone out for hours making beats. I made some money here and there. I do it cuz I love it and money is definately not a motivation for me to do it. I never felt like I had to "make it" to justify making beats. I got a friend who plays the xbox 24/7, I feel like thats the most uncreative and unproductive use of time. Nobody is waiting for him to make it big on that x box.

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
No offense but yall need to have a plan. I hear all yall talking bout I want a better life and all this, but I hate to burst yall bubbles but not even 90 % of the peeps in hear will ever make it. Im not hatin on anybody I wish yall the best but cmon now be real with yourself. First of all u gotta have a passion for this shit its a way of life! Yall talking bout I want a better life and all this if that s your motivation get out this bitch right now!

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i know what u sayin about 90% of the people on here wont make it, i know this and money is the only reason i make beats, i do it because i love doing it and there are many ways to determine "making it " too me " making it " is not having to have a 9 to 5 just living off making music, plus i dont even really want to " make it" i dont give 2 shits about fame. just give me a 20 room mansion, and a couple of nice whips and im straight , im bullshittin, fareal i just want a nice crib and to not have to have a real job again and i've made it

Rob Kelly

ill o.g.
yeah, just give up right now if wanting to make money is your goal!

fuck that...

fuckin 50 cent named his album get rich or die trying. If fame is what you want out of your music, you can get fame out of your music. Sometimes the best way to make it is to cater to your audience. That may not be the most artistic way to create music, but it works for some people. So i say if you want to get rich off of making beats, just keep at it and hustle you way to the top. And study the mainstream, cause that's where its at.

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
humm... very good tips on this thread, but i'm still waitin' on nomics and his knoledge cus those beats are fiyah.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
OK,,,,I think to be a good sampler, u need to have a very objective and open ear. Dont limit yourself to what u think needs to work for a specific track, instead sample anything that u find interesting and find a home for it later....As far as making a sample fit a beat, thats all about practice and something that comes with time i think....U just need to keep trying things till they fit and feel natural.

If anything, once u identify what sound u want to put into a beat, the next step is to know what meter your working in....If its 4/4, which is most common, then count out loud to your sample in a 4 count, like 1, 2, 3, 4....and then over again in a uniform fashion, if the sample doesnt seem to even remotely fit the count keep tryin other potential sounds.
This of course is pertaining to finding a sample that would work well as a 1-4 bar loop....If your just searching for sounds that are going to be used sort of in the same sense as a synth, then anything goes basically....Just try to pick sound parts that are not entirely cluttered with percussive elements, that usually makes everthing easier......

Good luck!

STEEZ

I

I.Q.

When I sample I usually start off by timestretching the whole thing to a tempo I feel sounds right. Then I go back and chop interesting sounds I feel I can make into a beat. I hardly ever sample anything longer than 5 seconds unless it's a real ill chorus or something I can make work. After I get all my chops setup I go ahead and lay my snares in their respective places (5/13 or 2/4) and program a basic hi-hat sequence at 1/16ths. This helps lay a base for my beat that I can build around. I then assign each individual chop to a seperate key on my sampler (you can do this with FL too with a MIDI controller) and start messing with some sequences. Once I found a sequence that I think is hot, I lay it down and then add some kicks to the beat. After I have the kicks layed in I add a bassline and I'm finished.

Anyways I'm not sure how helpful telling you all that was but your ear will grow with time and you will then create your own methods and techniques when making a beat.

Just study the records you choose to sample and find out how you can make it better than it already is.

What are your favorite producers BTW? I just want to see where you draw inspiration.

members online