Sampling Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMSoundzLTD

Daymo said:
What are you making your beats on? Presumably it's software if your searching the FL and Reason threads.

If you are having trouble creating melodies from your chopped samples and you are currently using software - try getting a good midi controller. I used to find the the piano roll in FL quite hardwork when trying to create a melody by pointing and clicking with a mouse. As soon as I got the Korg Padkontrol the melodies came flying out.

Cheers
Daymo

im using reason(composed beats), and FL to sample on, but i have a virtual midi controller it acts as a midi controller with MidiYoke(www.bome.com)

New Dynasty

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
In response to the initial question (kind of) I have a question of my own. does the majority of music depend on samples to make it a hit? I've made like 30 beats total an only 2 with actual samples. Does that mean I suck?

ill o.g.
New Dynasty said:
Does the majority of music depend on samples to make it a hit?
Lil' Jon, Scott Storch, Cool & Dre, Eminem, D4L, and whoever produces Young Joc's beats would all say "no."

You don't "suck" or "not suck" based on whether or not you use samples. You don't "suck" or "not suck" based on whether or not you compose. It's what you DO with either method that matters.

Go with your own style.

J

JMSoundzLTD

deStructuralize said:
Lil' Jon, Scott Storch, Cool & Dre, Eminem, D4L, and whoever produces Young Joc's beats would all say "no."

You don't "suck" or "not suck" based on whether or not you use samples. You don't "suck" or "not suck" based on whether or not you compose. It's what you DO with either method that matters.

Go with your own style.

good point.

C

Chubb-E

deStructuralize said:
A lot of people have answered your first question pretty well...basically, sample anything you want.

As for your second question...honestly, don't spend time trying to figure out how to work your samples based off of what other people do...come up with your own style and your own method of making music. If you can't chop samples then experiment until you can. If you can't hear what makes a good loop, experiment until you can. If you're so unable to do these things that experimentation doesn't help, then don't do them. Compose your own melodies. Do something completely new with your samples.

Bottom line...this should be your music. Why spend time figuring out how to copy somebody's style when you could be working with your own?

very damn true

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online