Sampling Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMSoundzLTD

I've done my research, and searched the forms. Ive read both FL and Reason topics(yes, all fucking 35 pages) rofl, but i posted this question elsewhere onanother topic, if its been answered before, on maybe somthing i missed, please.

Post the topic link, and remove this post.. sorry in adavance..

:confused:

my question is..

what type of 'genre' or music is good for sampling, i mean like to actually chop and arrange.. im tryin to get into sampling hardcore, right now im doing IE Diggin' with BearShare & Rhapsody(typo?).

But how exactly do you get a 'know-how' on arranging a melody by sampling. I mean ive read, and read and then some. But nothings answered my question.

I mean hell i ever went to WarBeats and watched both of those sampling vids, but i cant seem to find the right 'type' of genre that'll actually sound right. Please,if anyone can help out feel free i'd be most greatful.

HELLP!! :confused:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well first of all, shame on you for going to another site!

It basically comes down to what sound you're trying to make. For example, I make smooth mellow stuff, so I'm really comfortable sampling Classical and maybe some Jazz. But I don't take a big sample and loop it, I'll chop the hell out of my samples and basically get just the smallest sounds possible. For example, I'll sample a Classical piano but chop it up a bunch of times so it's pretty much just separate notes, then I'll create my own melody.

What kind of sampling are you trying to do?

J

JMSoundzLTD

Bascially East Coast/Westcoast sound.

i.e: Alchemist(typo), HeatMakerz, & JB

cnotedatruth

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
a if u look in one of this area on the a guy just posted a site that has all the orqginal sample use by people in the industry I think it a great site cuase u can follow how an industry person chops as to learn the technique then venture off into ur own stuff in bout to search for u and repost the site.

here it is it was in the digging section http://www.ultragraphik.com/blog/ go to this and save it cuase u can learn alot by follow someone then start creating your ownchops plus u can download the sample. the search area type in name like pete rock, preime, and any producer style u like they have it hope this help it help me alot.

holla

cnote

J

JMSoundzLTD

cnotedatruth said:
a if u look in one of this area on the a guy just posted a site that has all the orqginal sample use by people in the industry I think it a great site cuase u can follow how an industry person chops as to learn the technique then venture off into ur own stuff in bout to search for u and repost the site.

i saw the WU-Samples links, and peeped it, but plz post more if u have them , thxn in advanced

*edit*

Truestatiks said:
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6066
there´s also a list somewhere...peace&equality

^ what u were gunno post?

J

JMSoundzLTD

ya it will, im jus not that good at making a melody out of my chops. :(

J

JMSoundzLTD

^ ain that the truth, 2:45pm - 10pm classes, and production {PHEW} whata chore rofl. but i'll steadly but on this production like tommy lee was on pamela in tha exposed video, rofl.

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Look honestly those producers u mentioned earlier all sample all types of music. You can start your foundation wit classic soul but eventually u gotta look a all genres to get it really pooping.

A 4 arranging meng u can chopp the hell out of something or loop a portion your choice almost 90% of the classics in Hip Hops are loops not evrything has to bee super chopped use wats best in your ear for each sample cuz jus cuz u looping that doesnt mean your not a producer. Listen close to Just Blaze and Acl the be looping the shit outta 4-8 bar samples . Got me Hope i helped a bit

J

JMSoundzLTD

damn bro, ya that helped alot, i thought everything had to be chopped and arranged.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've sampled some of everything from old 2600 games to classical music, movie scores to obscure minimalist compositions.

You can sample anything and make it sound good if you know what you're doing. One of my last beats involved sampling an older PSX RPG and looping the music over some Sade w/a Mobb Deep beat under it all.

What you sample really isn't as important as what you do with the sample once you have it.

ill o.g.
A lot of people have answered your first question pretty well...basically, sample anything you want.

As for your second question...honestly, don't spend time trying to figure out how to work your samples based off of what other people do...come up with your own style and your own method of making music. If you can't chop samples then experiment until you can. If you can't hear what makes a good loop, experiment until you can. If you're so unable to do these things that experimentation doesn't help, then don't do them. Compose your own melodies. Do something completely new with your samples.

Bottom line...this should be your music. Why spend time figuring out how to copy somebody's style when you could be working with your own?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^OH Word..
I pick a sample when a sound on a song catches my ear and makes my head turn..
To truly be good with the sample thing, you should as stated above, pick a sound and manipulate that sound to make somthing original out of it as opposed to rippin a song off imo.
Thers tons of stuff you can get that way and you dont have to clear that shit.
All in all tho its whatever you like , like my man said, cuz man from WU was rappin over a song, didnt even flip it just rapped over the song..lol

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What are you making your beats on? Presumably it's software if your searching the FL and Reason threads.

If you are having trouble creating melodies from your chopped samples and you are currently using software - try getting a good midi controller. I used to find the the piano roll in FL quite hardwork when trying to create a melody by pointing and clicking with a mouse. As soon as I got the Korg Padkontrol the melodies came flying out.

Cheers
Daymo

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online