Sampling popular tracks...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I was instructed to come up with some popular tracks to sample from the late 70's thru the 80s...

Kinda eh to me...Sounds like I have to do the whole diddy thing and recreate hits...Not really my thing...

I've sampled all kinds of shit in my day..and yet I don't even know where to start on looking......

Ya ever been asked by to do so? Or had an emcee ask you to do it? Thoughts? Prayers?

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ya ever been asked by to do so? Or had an emcee ask you to do it? Thoughts? Prayers?

Never had anybody ask me personally, but I was talking to a producer friend of mine today on the phone about this same issue. On one hand, that's where hip hop began... simple mixes of usually well-known songs... On the other hand, diddy is soooo lame for that.....

In my friend's theory... make those beats and give em away for free... I'm sure you'd never release some garbage, but something about it feels wrong, right? It's not even a clearance issue or anything like that, it just feels kinda cheap...

Oh well though, money talks... if they're asking for it, give it to em.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
why would somebody ask you to make hit cover beats for them when they wont be able to release the tracks legally anyway? anyway, i'd be digging blaxploitation movies in the evenings and what quality said...

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
All the time.

Especially when it seems "unflippable". i mean of course i can flip it, but its not going to have the soul of the original record anymore. Its going to be a completely different animal to the point no one is gonna know its...lets say the "Goodtimes" theme song or Power Rangers.

i hate when people ask me that sometimes especially when i KNOW its not going to sound right.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
i think you can still make a popular song a dope track. i can name a few off the top of my head that i didnt think would work but did.....brain fart. ok peace

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Quick question would you attch your name to it if it didnt meet your standards. I mean just take the money and run sorta thing. Would you be too ashamed???

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Or some electro shit like Trommeltanz... Din Daa Daa... or Electric Boogaloo. Some crazy ishh

members online