Sample? Or not to Sample?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
First of all, sampling something is a form of copying. Thats fine. If people didn't copy each other then everyone would just be lost, no matter what it is you're copying/sampling (clothes, dance moves, etc..). Yes hip-hop is based off of sampling, but these so called hip-hop purists don't seem to realize that in order to sample something, a musician has to have a spark and come up with the music that is being samlped and sampled and sampled. As with everything hip-hop must evolve. And if everyone was just sampling, then eventually shit would just sound the same. Alot of hip-hop/rap already sounds repetitive, mostly due to lack of innovation on part of the producer and labels. So lets fire up our keyboard synths and give peeps something to sample for the future.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Are you familiar with Prefuse73 or Dabrie?
Or Akufen (ok, that is not hiphop but it such a good use of sampling...)

But then again you're right on «these so called hip-hop purists don't seem to realize that in order to sample something, a musician has to have a spark and come up with the music that is being samlped and sampled and sampled». There is alot of kats out there that are not creative with sampling.

T

Thelonius

Right on DNT!

If you ain't creative without sampling, no way you will be creative with it.

O

otniel-one

so if i'm understanding this correctly, this guy here claims
that sampling people will sound the same. what's up with that?
i'm not seeing dj shadow, premier and madlib having anything
in common -- in a looong time. samplers are instruments and
the person using the instrument defines the sound.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
If you listen real close to Dj premier he'll have a hot sample that no one has sampled but listen real close his drum snare and hat are always the same and his drum patterns are the same i'm not knocking him he "WAS" the man but times has changed

D

detox_one

You can do some damage with samples if ya know how, and have the capabilities to tweak them out with effex. Sampling is tight, along with a couple of midi tracks. As long as the beats make yer head bob, and the emcees ignite on the mic, its all good. Like homie said, the sampler is the instrument, and the musician defines the sound....

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah I totally agree that it is up to the producer to use samples creatively. I'm a beat man first, lyrics second. I won't even pay attention to a song if the beat ain't poppin. I just think that when most peeps just use samples, their tracks become monotnous. I love samples, it helps to keep the history of all music alive in this day and age while giving it new flavor a la hip-hop at the same time. I just don't understand the beef that peeps create between sampling production and keyboard midi production. When it comes down to it both sides of the spectrum have to mad creative and innovative in order to good producers.

C

C-4

Some of the best HipHop / Rap beats are sampled. Thats just the way it is. I don`t use samples from other peoples songs. Why? Cause I suck at it. I can play the keyboards. So I make music that way. But if I could, I would combine them both, like some of the cats out there. Like Swizz. Or Just Blaze.

One.

members online