sample king?

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
is there anything anybody thinks that shouldn't be sampled. like a certain artist or certain genre of music..... i sample everything from swing music to cartoon theme songs is this a good thing or bad......that kid

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
If you're talking about taste(which samples we prefer...)...
that's a question of... well... taste. But really, sample whatever you wanna, it's your beats. If they sound tight, well, good job. And actually, it's always nice to find a sample somewhere no one (or few people) use to check out.

If you're talking legal stuff, well, when you use a sample and want to use your beat commercially (making money off of it), you'll have to deal with copyright laws. The orginal artist who made the track that you sample from wants to have a cut of the money you're making. Of course, sampling from a no name is less expensive than sampling from Michael Jackson.

Do a search on the topic, you'll see that this has been talked about a lot here...

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
i keep away from soul/r n'b artists like MJ, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin,etc. ya know. the obvious. Its too easy. And i try not to sample a song that has been sampled over 2 times by other artists.

Everything else is fair game.

Corpz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dont sample other hip hop joints (i mean the main loop if u wanna steal a kick and snare go ahead).... thats just fuckin stupid...no more james brown (his samples cost way too much to be cleared and everybody and their mother has done it for the past 20 years).....nothing too new....and songs that have been sampled more than twice like beatz101 said.

P

peter parker

some of the best sampling is from records either never heard, or never were popular to begin w/. it's more of a better shock value to say you sampled from the spice girls instead of Billie Holiday.

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I chopped up a sample frorm a Sesame street song. Burt (you know Ernie's homie) had a joint called "Doin the pigeon/the pigeon dance". Tight muted trumpet and bass line.

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
there are no rules when it comes to samples- i get it, thanks-that kid

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
SAMPLE ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING!!!

madlib once said, there is a usable sample on EVERY BIT OF MUSIC EVER MADE....

but as a rule, dont sample anything that isnt 10-15 years old, i believe that is the genral ettiquette...

even old hip hop, i would say, its not who sampled it first, its who flipped it the best! IMO

members online