Sample Clearance Interview with Industry Insider...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Being honest, and nothing against ALKOTA (because I luv his work), but all I got out of this was common sense info (if you're planning on using someone else's work in a project that you want to market and/or make money off of...). I was really hoping that she would touch on "how that effects people that sample for fun of it, without the intent on selling a beat with someone else's work in it". I already know the answer to that but her confirming it would have made it official to some degree.

Her contact info, was definitely a good look as well. If I ever decide to try to sell a beat with someone else's samples in it. I know who to call.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Basic info one thing she may not realize if your smart enough you can get away with sampling

I have a few tracks that were picked and placed on Gangland using samples from 3 different records

you can't even recognize it when next to the original because of how its been flipped/layered/covered

If I ever went to court over it (if) they wouldn't be able to finger print it because it never stands alone in the track not even in the stem files

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Thats why I am such a big fan of Rolands SP808 EX and the MV8800, you could literally sample a guitar line and convert it to a piano line with a few button clicks, add a few of your own notes and it was waaaay beyond recognition. You can even alter vocals...but anyway, not very many people are gonna sample something (as it is) and call it theirs anyway, *I said MOST not ALL* and those that do sample ish and don't alter it deserve to get busted imo.

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
she definitely didnt hit or get in depth on any of the points I wanted her to. I mean honestly, I was looking for something pretty deep on the IPR laws adapting to these technologies like bandcamp, etc. i wanted something juicy.

my stance is fuck a sample clearance, but her business is run on clearing samples, so she wasn't really going to talk politics in the interview and I respect that. there will be a paradigm shift/revolution and I think we are on the brink/tip of it. people are figuring out new ways of making money without labels and major distribution platforms.

people who truly grind and have a real and timeless product will succeed. i think whats happening with the economy and business will also weed out alot of people pipe dreaming and putting out this whack shit. the end of myspace, etc. is a good thing in the long haul.

its hard to expect people to clear samples when they give music away for free, or make little to no money doing it... she really didnt hit on those points.

im grateful she did the interview and if you need your shit cleared definitely get in touch.

ill get something lined out with a little more substance in the future.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Yup that's understandable she wasn't gonna reveal all her secrets. BTW How did you conduct the interview? Because I know for a fact it can be really tough to do such online.

she definitely didnt hit or get in depth on any of the points I wanted her to. I mean honestly, I was looking for something pretty deep on the IPR laws adapting to these technologies like bandcamp, etc. i wanted something juicy.

my stance is fuck a sample clearance, but her business is run on clearing samples, so she wasn't really going to talk politics in the interview and I respect that. there will be a paradigm shift/revolution and I think we are on the brink/tip of it. people are figuring out new ways of making money without labels and major distribution platforms.

people who truly grind and have a real and timeless product will succeed. i think whats happening with the economy and business will also weed out alot of people pipe dreaming and putting out this whack shit. the end of myspace, etc. is a good thing in the long haul.

its hard to expect people to clear samples when they give music away for free, or make little to no money doing it... she really didnt hit on those points.

im grateful she did the interview and if you need your shit cleared definitely get in touch.

ill get something lined out with a little more substance in the future.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
yeah no doubt, I tried my best to get Glenn Schick to answer 10 questions pertaining to Mastering and even though I know him, I still couldn't get it to happen. Internet interviews are a beach to make happen for sure!

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Indeed interviewing is hard work. Most of the interviews I did for ILL were quite time-consuming (7-12 email exchanges = submissions,reviews,editing,proofreading, etc ...) but the whole process tends to be enjoyable. At least it is for me.

yeah no doubt, I tried my best to get Glenn Schick to answer 10 questions pertaining to Mastering and even though I know him, I still couldn't get it to happen. Internet interviews are a beach to make happen for sure!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Ha! I thought you had it down to a science. I even thought about asking you for some tips a few times...just never followed up...lol. Just be ready cause I'm running to you for HELPPPP if I need it.