Sample BPM slower than Track BPM

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Change the bpm of the song. Or fuck with the sample's pitch.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Seoul P said:
Like with my most recent rack, "Just Enough", I had the song at 90 BPM, but the sample was actually faster than it so it sounded all streched out. How do you guys deal with this by still keeping the BPM of the song at what it is?

What program are you using and what did you sample from? I might be able to help.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
what I do, is open up Fl wit the chopped sample arranged how I want it to sound with the BPM I chose for the song. Once you find the right pitch for the sample, what I do is(which seems easy for me,,,and its the only way I know how,,) is Mix that sample down and export it from FL Studio at the desired pitch. Then I take the new sample with the picth I want and THEN open it up wit the FL SLicer. Hope that helps. I'll be gettin my new camera charger so I'll be postin up FL tutorials, STress Weezy style.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Yo, Seoul. If you sampled that from vinyl then your best bet is to not timestretch the sample. Find the tempo you want to work with while you are recording the sample via "Tap Tempo" in FL. This can save you a whole lot of trouble later on trying to make it fit. Also try doubling your tempo. Hope this helps.

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont know your buget situation but Nuendo's time stretch prosessor can change bpm without changing pitch.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Seoul,

Time compression can work if it's minimal. It basically inserts tiny bits of space into the sample so that it still has the same frequencies and pitch, just slowed down a little. Sometimes it can work, if it's not far off from the tempo, other times it really sounds choppy because it's drastic. I've used this as an effect once or twice to a vocal, stretching it out 3 or 4 times the length, making it sound like the Matrix, u know... when the Neo touches the mirror.

But if you need to time compress just a hair, to make sure it matches up to exactly the right tempo, here's what I've done:

Use the "tap tempo" and find the tempo that's closest to the sample. Say you come up with 87.1 bpm. It's probably 87 exactly, and you tapped slighly off. Try a drum line to 87 and match it up. If it's off by a little, then it might mean that whoever performed the original didn't have a click track to perform to, and it's off by a little. This is usually the case when sampling symphonic or orchestral shit. You can use time compression a little bit, just to round off to the nearest bpm, and it won't sound bad at all. If it's 87 bpm, and you think it needs to be a little faster or slower, I wouldn't stretch it out more than 5 bpm. Anything more than that might sound fake.

If you don't have the tap function...
I've selected one beat (one 1/4 note) of the sample and found the miliseconds, then divided 60 over this number to get the tempo. (60 / 0.625 = 96 bpm) If it's close to the tempo, it's probably accurate. (You might get 0.623 or something and get 96.3 bpm) This just helps to find the tempo when you need it.

You can also chop up the sample so that you have it broken down in 1/4 or 1/8 notes, and just place them where you want em. This is a good function to either spread across your mpc or use in FL so that you can stutter the actual notes of the sample and really get a sick hip hop feel.

Most of this shit you probably already know. But sometimes it helps when other people spell it out.

Hope this helped,
Hypno

O

open mind

i dont care about bpm it only fucks up time i do this.

arrange the sample or loop or wuteva how i want it speed it up how i want it then IAM the tempo. i do the drumwork LIVE hittin them keys u know and then i dont give a shit about time stretch.u feel me?

Mindstate

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Using Propellerheads Rebirth with Reason can help. It has a unique way of chopping up and playing the sample back at a lower BPM but keeping the same pitch, without too much quality loss (depending on the sample).

members online