Rjd2: Elastic Fantastic

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
“To me, pop music can be anything from Nick Drake to the Gap Band to Led Zeppelin,” says a fully amped RJD2, holding forth on the range of inspiration behind his latest — and easily most ambitious — solo effort. “Some pop music is danceable, and some of it isn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be great to listen to. I'm just trying to make good pop music in the same vein. I'm basically chasing the same ghost now as I was five years ago; the only difference is I'm using a lot more tools, and the means by which I'm shooting for that goal have changed much more radically on this record than on anything else.”

True to its title, The Third Hand (XL Recordings, 2007) is not only RJ's third full-length album, but it signifies the emergence of a hitherto unexplored aspect of the 30-year-old producer's song-crafting skills — namely, his ability to sing for his supper and lay down some hefty bass, guitar and synth lines. Unlike Deadringer (Definitive Jux, 2002) and Since We Last Spoke (Definitive Jux, 2004), both of which showcased RJ's intimate familiarity with the Akai MPC2000XL and his nascent stroke on a small array of synths and keyboards, The Third Hand finds him eschewing hip-hop sampling almost entirely in favor of a pure performance-based method in the studio. The results, which flip between psychedelic garage pop (“You Never Had It So Good”), acoustic folk (“Someday”), creepy sci-fi stutter-funk (“Beyond the Beyond”) and straight-up new wave (“Sweet Piece”), herald not just a change in musical direction but also in label affiliation — from New York's Def Jux to London's XL Recordings. All told, fans of RJD2's former breakbeat-shaded persona are in for a wild ride.

“All the drums are still done on the MPC,” RJ (born Ramble Jon Krohn) reassures, although from the sound of his meticulously programmed drum tracks, it's sometimes hard to tell whether an actual drummer isn't in the room. “Basically, the rest of the record is live,” he says. “I've always had a thing for big, hard drums, and that's gone in with whatever my semi-psychedelic leanings on guitar or keyboards have been. But essentially what I'm trying to do now is make the kind of records that I would have sampled, or wanted to sample, back in 2002.”

Left to his own devices (which now include Digidesign Pro Tools and a Digi 002 interface for recording), RJ has gradually transformed his basement studio in Philadelphia into a do-it-yourself haven for further explorations in analog sound. His newfound engineering approach leans heavily toward the classic Stax era for drums and, for instruments, the ideas of EMI Studio legend Geoff Emerick (author of the book Here, There and Everywhere, about recording The Beatles during the latter half of the '60s). They're lofty references, to be sure, but they're also crucial if the idea is to make a vintage-sounding record.

“Of course, you're never gonna find that magic key,” RJ says, citing what he sees as the near futility of attempting to duplicate such iconic sounds exactly. “I mean, what can you say about it? It could be The Beatles, it could be John Bonham's drum sound — whatever it is, you're never gonna find that one magic thing that finally gives it to you. But the last three or four years of my life have just been utterly dominated by absorbing every little iota of information I can get about microphones, preamps, compressors — the whole engineering game. So I'm interested in the challenge.”

GIANT STEPS

Although RJD2 has made quantum leaps in both his songwriting and engineering routines since he first began work on The Third Hand in 2005, he prefaces his launch into the fine points of his studio setup by noting that high-end equipment is not necessarily the main act when it comes to making good music.

“When I couldn't afford studio gear,” he recalls, “I used to think I needed whatever I was reading about. Then I started hanging out with some kids in a group called MHz [MC Copywrite's crew from Columbus, Ohio], who made songs by bouncing down to a double-cassette deck using a cheap DJ mixer with a five-second sampler in it and a Radio Shack mic. And I realized it's way more important to just do what you can on whatever you've got than to get sucked into thinking that good gear is needed to do the job.”

That said, when fortune smiles upon you and grants you access to some quality equipment, there's plenty to be gained from diligent experimentation with such things as mic placement, tube amplification, signal cranking and vocal layering, as RJ soon discovered. “One of the biggest things I've learned,” he says, “is that as you go down the signal path, certain things become less important.

“So let's say you want a guitar that sounds like Joe Perry [from Aerosmith],” he continues. “The guitar and the amp are the biggest contributors to achieving that; the second biggest is the microphone, and the third biggest is the mic preamp [and so on]. And it's not to say that your choice of tape machine won't have anything to do with it just because it's the last stop in the signal path — I mean, once you've tracked 20 or 30 takes of a particular instrument, the deficiencies of a crappy tape machine or a lousy conversion rate will start to add up. What I am saying is that if you've got a problem, start at the top of the food chain. That's probably the number-one thing I've learned.”

After countless hours of trial and error, RJ arrived at a recording scheme for each instrument that held predominantly steady throughout the tracking phase. Synths and keyboards were routed through a Fender Twin guitar amplifier to a '70s Realistic mic. A Yamaha baby-grand piano, which sits directly above the studio in RJ's dining room, gets miked remotely via an XLR wall jack he installed himself. Meanwhile, guitars were played through a Vox AC15 or AC30 amp to a Royer R-121 ribbon mic, and bass was recorded either direct (through vintage RCA BA21 tube-mic pres or directly into Pro Tools) or through an Ampeg B-15R Portaflex amp to an AKG D12E mic. For all his vocals, he used a Microtech Gefell UM71 and, toward the end of recording, a UM75, which he hopes to use more of on future albums.

“If you haven't noticed, reverb and harmonies are already a crutch that I have no intention of letting go,” RJ quips, referring to the stacked and processed vocals of the single “Beyond the Beyond” and to some of the effects moves he made with mix engineer Jim Bottari for the entire album. “To me, it's really like the best Dr. Dre productions, where you get this weird hybridization of hip-hop and psychedelic pop music. It was like, ‘Let me just take this to the nth degree and make the vocals as psychedelic as possible.’”

I WANT MY MPC

Equally mind-bending, of course, is the deftness of RJ's control over the capabilities and parameters of the MPC2000XL — a level of inventiveness that earns him regular comparisons to such veterans of beat-chopping finesse as DJ Shadow. And like Shadow, he hopes to reach a point where he can engineer a live drum sound that's as good as what he can capture on the MPC — and in fact, whenever time allows, he works on miking schemes with a drum kit that takes up one end of his studio. For now, though, the MPC is the answer.

“I've really got it down to the point where, all modesty aside, I can make it do whatever I want it to do,” he says. “Eventually, I'd like to break myself free of the sequenced or looped nature of what I do — I'd like to have that breathability that classic-rock bands have, but I can't do that with drums that sound so soggy and wishy-washy that it's like I'm slapping a wet noodle on the wall. It's just not working yet.”

Interestingly, RJ often ends up emulating this selfsame “breathable” quality by programming subtle variations into his beat sequences (heard to stellar effect on “You Never Had It So Good,” which truly sounds as though a live drummer is chasing RJ's catchy, Lennon-esque chord changes and vocal stylings). The illusion works because of the overall holistic approach to sampling and sequencing drums that RJ has perfected over the years.

“The key is to get one nice solid strike of the kick, the snare, the hi-hat and then each tom,” he explains, “with each piece of the kit separated enough so that there's enough decay on them. The best thing is to find a record with a drum solo where you can hear every single piece of the kit — there's a B-side to a Billy Thorpe record called Children of the Sun that's the best example of this. If you can get four hits of the exact same snare, three or four hits of the exact same hi-hat, and then every other element of the drum kit with a nice clean decay, then you're all set. Every piece is miked and engineered from the same kit, so when you replay them, they sound just like a break because they all came from the same record.”

The MPC's “16 levels” option — which spreads a drum sound across the unit's 16 pads and allows precise control over parameters such as attack, decay, velocity and tuning — also figures into the equation. From there, it's a matter of composing a beat and then reworking it with the improvisational changes an actual drummer might choose.

“When you listen to a good drummer,” RJ continues, “they're not gonna play the exact same fill in a song. So usually one of the very first things I'll do is get a groove going, and then I'll program five or six different drum fills. And you can get even deeper. Let's say I've got a 16-bar verse; I can take one of those middle bars and just put a slight variation in it, like take out a kick or put in a snare accent. The more you do these kinds of things, the less chance your ear has to get numb to the loop. Then your brain starts to think, ‘Whoa, man, maybe I'm hearing a real drummer.’”

(Mar 1, 2007 12:00 PM, By Bill Murphy)

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
This the interview in Remix? Good stuff, while I haven't heard his new album, I've heard it's a pretty large change.

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
damn man, ive been a huge rjd2 fan for a while. i always wondered what went into his awesome drum breaks. now i know; thank you

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Haha, that article sounds like a scientist trying to explain his latest research findings and theory. I need to read it again to take full advantage of it, some really interesting things in there.

Cheo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this is a great article

members online