Rick Rubin: The Invisibility of Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

@Iron Keys

hmm... that kinda makes sense. taking what you, my brother and memento said and a shitton of overthinking, the best way I could put it was that;

• Values are Personal
  • Values are Relative
  • Values evolve with experience
  • Values define you

I think that's as far as I can figure it. for now.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Values define you
With this one. Kinda yes.
But i think the wording of that can sound quite aggressive or intimidating. Sounds like something you'll hear on a job course and you have to "select" good values.

I think rephrased/framed as...
Your values reflect who you are.
May be better.

For example, a few of mine;
- fairness
- creativity
- love

You can see how fairness manifests with me on this forum by some of the discussions I get involved in.

You can figure out what your values are by reflecting on the things you care about and what matter to you.

You probably don't need to think about it too much as you're most likely acting according to them anyway, but it can be good to be aware of them.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
In my opinion if you enjoy listening to certain things then keep on doing it. If you find value in them, you spend good time listening to them, thinking about them or making them, then it means that they resonate with you and this is what's important.

@Memento Beats I feel you re: elitism as it is the basis for how/when/why people used to (and I don't know if it still happens in today's era) say things like if you listen(ed) to Jazz and Classical you were seen as intelligent, whereas if you listen(ed) to "pop" music e.g. Rock, Rap, etc. you were seen as ignorant.

I don't know if it's 'cause I'm older (though since my late adolescence I've always been an advocate of Hip Hop skewing towards older artists as in older in age and what artistic perspectives they can bring to the music/culture, though being older in age numerically doesn't automatically correlate w/wisdom as there are adults who live a "2nd childhood" in their music and personal lives when you consider the "image "of a rapper which fixates on prolonged adolescence), but nowadays I find myself listening to older soul music, and it resonates w/me somehow even though I've never experienced the main topic: romantic love. The more I dig deep into soul music, I, just as I've done and somewhat still do with Hip Hop, may end up writing what I feel, my values, etc. The challenge will be singing it.

In my personal life I never defended (and don't) defend my liking of Hip Hop, but I know it resonate(d) w/me so strongly that I'm now attempting "producing" while still penning occasional lyrics. I wanted to know more than what was in the mainstream and the reasons why it was controversial beyond lyrics, and it's people like Tricia Rose, Gwendolyn Pough, William Banfield, Portia Maultsby whose written works about Hip Hop and Black music overall that led me to finding the answers. I grew up in a household that was not Hip Hop friendly.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Armani re: values don't be afraid to wear them on your sleeve e.g. don't change them for anyone, if they can't take you as you are, fuck them

@Iron Keys I value:
honesty
love (e.g. self-love as it is important, followed by familial love which is dependent on the environment one grew/grows up in)
equality
integrity
self control
creativity
health (physical, mental, etc.)
money as a tool and a medium of exchange and nothing more (but I was taught never do anything illegal for it)

I believe in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

I try to be, and am, a woman of principle(s) and sometimes society makes it hard.

Last edited:
@Armani re: values don't be afraid to wear them on your sleeve e.g. don't change them for anyone, if they can't take you as you are, fuck them

@Iron Keys I value:
honesty
love (e.g. self-love as it is important, followed by familial love which is dependent on the environment one grew/grows up in)
equality
integrity
self control
creativity
health (physical, mental, etc.)
money as a tool and a medium of exchange and nothing more (but I was taught never do anything illegal for it)

I believe in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

I try to be, and am, a woman of principle(s) and sometimes society makes it hard.
fortunately, as iron said, values are reflections rather than choices. your choices can lead you to your values and vice versa, but you can't really select your values as consciously. (I believe you still can, but your thought process wouldn't be like "Ayo Imma change this value rq", it's more like "This experience was life changing". it's a value, not a valve.) so in a way, you might not be able to directly improve your values, yet you can improve other aspects of life and then let your values grow freely. therefore if I surround myself with wholesome mfs like y'all, I won't need to worry too much about my values changing for the worse.

Self-honestly seems to be the greatest key.
Maslow rocks.
and just gettin your ass to work everyday is somethin I respect n value, so I hope you keep being the woman of principles you are and get results worthy of it too.

Also I love how the signature down there accompanies all my philosophical bullshit.

I like Rick. Especially for what he's done with the Beasties.
It's weird though.. For as much love as he gets he's been getting a lot of hate lately too. I watched a video a little while back from some random dude on YouTube, completely bashing him and calling him overrated.
That video sent me down a rabbit hole and then I found out Corey Taylor from Slipknot has been bashing Rick for a while now as well.
What's up with that?

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What's @Space_Alexander up is @Iron Keys re: people don't like to think about anything. They like to feel that raw art is emotion, but one of my fave quotes is "Raw emotion is not art. Art is not emotion." Richard Miller, On The Art of Singing