Reference tracks

crx.beatz

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 13
Hi guys. I would like to ask you about your opinion on reference tracks.

1, Where do you search for best sound quality of reference tracks?
2, Does it make sense to use Flac and convert and then use for referencing? (is somewhere shop for flac or wav files?) because I produce in Reason and does not have support for flac files so i need to convert.
3, Is it better to use instrumental only for referencing for beats production or is better to aim for sound of full track?
4, Any tips / tricks?

Thanks

Personally I've never used reference tracks, although I should. Would make mixes more consistent when you have a target to aim for.
I think your best quality references will come as wav file rips straight from a CD or as a HQ digital wav available online. I think FLAC would be a great digital candidate due to its lossless nature and convert that to usable wav.
If mixing a song then probably best to use a song as a reference, when mixing a beat its probably best to use an instrumental as a reference. A vocal can dramatically change the harmonic balance of a recording.

I just found this link. https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/best-music-download-sites-hi-res-audio

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Personally I've never used reference tracks, although I should
Same
Cause I'm too lazy. It's too fiddly

However when I have tried it sometimes it feels odd. Have made like several dBs of adjustments and still couldn't figure out if the balance matched.

The other issue I have is trying to find a reference that matches your beat. I think it can be tricky when from one song you've gone with a quieter rolled off snare and the next one you have a big bright one - you would need a different reference.

I kinda just go with what sounds right based off past listening and how it feels in the track.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Hi guys. I would like to ask you about your opinion on reference tracks.

1, Where do you search for best sound quality of reference tracks?
2, Does it make sense to use Flac and convert and then use for referencing? (is somewhere shop for flac or wav files?) because I produce in Reason and does not have support for flac files so i need to convert.
3, Is it better to use instrumental only for referencing for beats production or is better to aim for sound of full track?
4, Any tips / tricks?

Thanks

Wave should be fine. You could probably get away with high quality mp3.

If you plan to have a vocal on your beat, then it may be best to reference a track that has a vocal.
If you plan to release it as an instrumental record, then probably an instrumental. Though you could probably still get away with referencing from a vocalled track.

As mentioned in my previous response I don't really reference like that so take with pinch of salt and find your way.