Redrum Patterns?

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I'm reading the manual and havn't found any information of how to loop different drum patterns in Reason2.5 Redrum. In FlStudio you could make the various drum patterns and ploted them with rectangles along with everything else. In Reason, when i "copy pattern to track" in redrum (to get drums in sequencer to loop up) I get a loop generated between the "L" an "R" checkmarks. The loop is from only one pattern, and I have to manually adjust the markers for each pattern with difficulty because the timing has to be perfect.

Considering that info, Is there a way in reason to copy the patterns in specific order to the sequencer at one time? If i can do this then i can simpily copy/paste the loop-chunks of my patterns in the sequencer easily and get solid structure to my beats.

thanks in advance

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
in reason, if you want to change drum patters throughout the track, go to "edit mode." at the bottom it'll give you the choice to automate your drums, a1, a2, a3, etc...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
e.porter said:
in reason, if you want to change drum patters throughout the track, go to "edit mode." at the bottom it'll give you the choice to automate your drums, a1, a2, a3, etc...

I see where I can place one checkmark on anyone of a1, a2, a3 but lets say I want to have pattern a1, a1, a1, a2 in four pattern segments at a time. That way I can go into arrange mode and copy/paste to loop the four pattern segments without editing the drums at all in the sequencer (as far as combing patterns are concerned).

Since I can only put one checkmark at a time in the pop-up box that has all of the a1, a2, or a3.. How do I choose the different patterns and the combinations of the patterns to be copied at the same time into the sequencer when I "copy pattern to track" out of redrum?

or is this not possible?
I have been copying 4 patterns at a time and carefully copy/pasting them into 4 pattern groups that I copy and paste as it's own loop.

boabmatic

ill o.g.
as nnxt say's you just need to group the 4 bars in the sequencer mode then copy and paste..... the reason manual is pretty helpful, explains things well....

the same process is used for programing the likes of the matrix unit too.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Yall are going about it all wrong... I'll make a tutorial about it and seen it to Fade... they're alot u can do w/ ReDrum...

ill o.g.
On the Murder machine (RedruM), you have 4 banks (A-B-C-D) within those banks you have 8 different slots to place youre drum patterns. So if you created 4 different patterns for bank A, you would then have to go to "edit mode" on your sequencer. Draw your patterns in on the Redrum track like A1-A2-A3-A4, so now you have 4 different variations of your drum track. And you still have 4 more empty slots on bank A to add more variations. Redrum cant loop itself, it has to be automated. Now to make it a little easier you dont have to draw every pattern into "edit mode" in the sequncer. The redrum on default is set to 16 steps...1.2.3.4, if you look at the redrum where it say edit steps, you can go up to 64 steps. Thats 4 measures. So you wouldnt have to draw in your sequencer A1-A2-A3-A4, just increase your steps to 64, now you can use just one Pattern like A1, to make 4 different variations of your drum track. Then, you still have 7 more empty slots (A2-A8) to make your drum track. Whatever quantize (resolution) you have the redrum on, the sequencer has to be the same. If you are still having issues, lining the drum track on the sequencer, look at the 1st drop box where it say bar, that's the quantize (resolution) for the sequncer, the drop down to the right of that is for realtime recording. You have to match the sequncer's quantize with the redrum's quantize in order for the drum track to loop perfectly. If you were to realtime record, this process is alot easier, because you would record your drum straight to the sequencer, the redrum would just be your sound module.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
OR....when you got the "l" and "r" setup....you can right click REdrum and click "
copy pattern to track" .....

thats the best way to do it.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
[updated]

I found a video that completly explains everything to me. Thanks for everyone's help!

--

Freakwncy: That would be great if you could create a Redrum tutorial that Fade could put up! There are apperently multiple ways of using the machine an i'd like to know them all.

Studiophile: The information you gave about making the drum sequence 64 steps was very helpful, without using the technique yet i think that has solved my initial problem. Thanks. But The other ways of using redrum are still confusinmg me. I can not seem to automate my patterns; the automation portion of the sequencer has always said "no automation".

Nnxt: Yea I haven't read all of the manuals (like 400 pages deep) so i appreciate yall fillin me in on this particular problem.

Dason: That is the way I have been doing it, although i was only getting 16step drum pattern loops. Studiophile and Freakwncy were on the right track with my particular problem.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
i have the "producing music with reason" video. i thought it was another one that i never saw before, good looking out tho.

ill o.g.
If you still see "no automation", you have to select the pencil tool, and draw events in (A1-A2..) on the Murder track(Redrum).

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Just Make your Pattern in the Redrum then move the L and R to 1 and 2 click Copy to Track then move onto Pattern 2 Repeat the Same Step Pattern 3 Etc... and So on Once you Got All your Drum Patterns in the Sequencer Arrange them How you Like

Ex. So say PAT 1 is Bar 1,2,3, and on The Forth Add PAT 2 for bar 4 . So there you got a 4 bar Drum Loop then Maybe Make a New Drum Loop with Pat 3 and Pat 4 (mix and match as you like ) .

Basically Once you got all your Patterns ON the Sequencer there Easy to Copy and Paste Just click on the Pattern you want click CTRL Drag and it will Copy and Paste it where ever you Drag and drop it too .

C

Carpe Diem

i copy the main pattern to track, then do change ups in the actual track, not on the redrum...

members online