recording vocals : keeping the buzz down

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
when i record vocals through my condenser mic, which goes through another compressor/preamp before it hits my pc, i get a buzz, sometimes white nooise, sometimes a hum....it's very low, you can never hear it in the final mix...but I want it perfect. No noise, just vocals. Ive used gates and fiolters and crap, but im looking for a hardware solution. A friend recommended a DI Box, because they hav e a ground switch ...what do you guys think is my best option of elimintaing this noise?

peace
-hopps

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Is everything on the same circuit in your house? I.E. - If you go out to the circuit breaker and flip only one switch at a time, then test your plugs, which plugs correspond to which switches. My understanding is that all your audio equipment should be on one circuit, otherwise you might get a ground loop. I'm no expert but that is what I have been told...

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
Yea, I really think that is the problem ... Im not on my own separate grounded line, like most "real" studios are ...that's why Im curious if anyone has invested in a D.I. box with a ground switch, I wanna know if it works...

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
There should probably be enough plugs in your room that you could hopefully keep everything on one circuit. I just moved everything from my bedroom to the living room. There are a lot more outlets out here and all but one are on the same circuit. Also, make sure there aren't any lights with dimmer switches or fans with variable speed settings, those could be causing problems too.