reason for lack of good beats in showcases

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
yo i usually always take a listen to the showcase when i get a chance to see whats good although i dont really have time to post ... i gotta say that shit aint what it was anymore ... there hardly any shit i really feel anymore as compared to like a year ago when alot shit ws hot .. why the decline of quality in the showcases??? ... do u think it has more to do with people just not postin anymore (guilty) or just the lack of upandcomers on the site? .. holla bac interested in whts good... i know there plenty dope producers that frequent site there is no denying that im just talking the level of beats in the showcase week after weak:)

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ash Holmz said:
week after weak:)
He said Weak LOl hey I reallly don't have a lot of time to listen and not to sound like an ass, but at one point it was hard to do like 20 reviews so not being lazy but just out of my own time I could only do like at the most 10 or 11 random....I dont think you should be obligated to review each and every song, even though its nice but anyhow I don't post anything much cause I have been so busy...hope to change it, also the level of production to me is in the middle, what I like myself is original showcasing or experimental, not the beat that's been copied in style or whatever...thats just me, or some joints you go now damn thats some different ish right there....but as far as the level I cant make a call cause I aint been listening too closely to what's been in there, I will see if I can put something up, but yeah the heavy hitters on the site been in the background and not really even involved here at all though for some reason, but I know they are doing their own thing though and we gonna hear something ?????

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I havent had time in a long minute to post anything, I got some wack crap Im workin on up in there now, but I know its not hot just a concept.
I like to think its because everybody is BZ working on things as to why there isnt alot on there period hot or not.
I know I got some stuff that will be hot(realitive of course) Im gonna post in the near future but to tell you the truth(cuz I may be one of the wack ones your talking about lol) I havent even listened to anything in there in a month or so.
Also D has a point doing 30 reveiws takes the wind out of you, prolly why I got away from it.
Everything moves in cycles tho it will pick back up...

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Yeah that's true.

Now there's a LOT of new comers in the showcase and they are all hungry like we were before, so they posting a lot to get feedback. The thing is, US old timers lol, we barely post anymore cuz I think we kinda know when our shit is hot and when it's not. When I post most of the time it's because that I'm really really not sure about my beat or it's because I tried to do something "new" to me.

Also, "producing" seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays and people just try to copie what they hear on tv and radio. And right now, the mainstream is probably at it's all-time low.

So basically, it's just cuz most of the posters are new. And when we were posting a lot we were maybe a there level too.....maybe lol

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I've been busy as hell lately at work but I post from time to time in the showcase. Did it last time.

Not at all to get reviews. I don't care about that at all and I know my own strenghts and weaknesses. I post some beats in there to get the newbie feel a bit leveled out with some "Seasoned" shit. I now see myself as seasoned after keeping at it sice 96.
Anyways. I encourage some of you other guys to do it aswell. Get some spirits lifted if that might be the case. ANd I think some of the vets posting stuff will encourage the noobs.

The problem tho. As I see it and have pointed out before is the
"New banger check the link" typa posts from cats that gives now reviews back.
So a little shift in mentality could be usefull here. I try to give reviews when I can even tho I donät post any beats myself. Just to show some of "those peeps" that just post their links and sit idly to get their thumbs out their asses and make some reviews themselves.

So if you guys have any time to spare. Drop a review. And we'll change this mentality and create a positive place.

Sorry for the long post.

One love

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
well whens the beat that comp. then well seperate the waack from the sick

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
andreas said:
I've been busy as hell lately at work but I post from time to time in the showcase. Did it last time.

Not at all to get reviews. I don't care about that at all and I know my own strenghts and weaknesses. I post some beats in there to get the newbie feel a bit leveled out with some "Seasoned" shit. I now see myself as seasoned after keeping at it sice 96.
Anyways. I encourage some of you other guys to do it aswell. Get some spirits lifted if that might be the case. ANd I think some of the vets posting stuff will encourage the noobs.

The problem tho. As I see it and have pointed out before is the
"New banger check the link" typa posts from cats that gives now reviews back.
So a little shift in mentality could be usefull here. I try to give reviews when I can even tho I donät post any beats myself. Just to show some of "those peeps" that just post their links and sit idly to get their thumbs out their asses and make some reviews themselves.

So if you guys have any time to spare. Drop a review. And we'll change this mentality and create a positive place.

Sorry for the long post.

One love

For real, there should be a rule, that you got to give at least 3-4 reviews for each beat you post, so if you post 3 beats you got to review around 10 beats when it's possible. And all reviews should be made that way:

-Say if you like it or not
-Why do you like it or why you think it's weak

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
You know what kind of bugs me out? When someone gives a shitload of list of beats they want you to check out... for example...

Check out my beats!
1 www.myshit.com

2.www.myshit#2.com

3.www.myfuckenwackshit.com

And many more etc.... that bugs me though.

I think some people are just too anxious to get their beats heard.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Qwerty said:
For real, there should be a rule, that you got to give at least 3-4 reviews for each beat you post, so if you post 3 beats you got to review around 10 beats when it's possible. And all reviews should be made that way:

-Say if you like it or not
-Why do you like it or why you think it's weak

Thats a good idea.

Yeah i've been pretty busy myself with life, work and of course music. all of the stuff i make now is going towards projects and whatnot. i definitely hear you guys about having to review everysingle beat. that shit sucks!! takes a whole hour almost, cuz you dont wanna forget people.

there is definitely a lot of talent at illmuzik, but not everyone is putting in their gems to the showcase.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I think it's a good idea. For one I think that it should only be ok to have ONE beat up for review per showcase. I don't wanna review an entire portfolio.

Second I must say that I like the idea that in order to post a beat you must review atleastt 3 or somehting elses beats.
Could be hard to reinforce. Someone must sit and keep the tabs but if it'd work that would be a great thing.

And you get like a mark each time you don't comply and just post links and no reviews

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You're all correct.

I think it's that there's a lot of new guys that just want quick feedback and don't want to give any (or not much at all). Basically that's it.

I've been to some webmaster review forums and they have strict rules where you can't have your website reviewed until you've given constructive reviews of at least 3 other sites. It's hard to enforce but I'll see if there's some kind of auto-script thing does it.

Another option is that you cannot ask for feedback in each showcase without giving feedback first.

For example:
1. I start the thread as usual.
2. The first reply obviously doesn't have to review anyone, he's the first poster!
--> Now is where it begins:
3. Reply #2 has to give constructive feedback to the 1st poster, THEN he can ask for a review of his beats.

This continues on throughout the thread. So like this:
>> 1st post
>> 2nd post -- gives feedback, asks for feedback
>> 3rd post -- gives feedback, asks for feedback
etc etc

If we go with this idea then if someone asks for feedback without giving feedback first then their ignore them and their post will be deleted.

It's up to you guys, let's hear what you think about these ideas.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
What if you just review and dont want feedback?
Additionally the other end of the problem which I hear here as well is when your at work and the showcase starts and by the time you get home its 300 posts later then you spend all night getting a cramp from reviewing everyone
Sometimes I dont have jack to have reviewed but I like to review random selections.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If you want to just review and not get feedback, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying each member needs to review everyone, but at least review some random ones. Basically just keep a flow going in the thread.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
well, the other issue is that if you're just pickin random ones some people are gonna end up with no feedback. and then they feel like they're getting jipped. so then they may not review next time until they see some results.

so what you really need to do is review the most recent 5 posted beats or something. that way the first people to post don't get all the feedback and the 5th and 6th people to post get absolutely nothing.

another thing guys, if you hate writing reviews for all the beats, just listen to them and only review the ones you want to. like, maybe someone made some really hot shit and you want to let them know it's a real banger. so let them know. but some beats just need SO much work that it's not even worth while posting a review. it doesn't take that much effort to just listen to a beat. so just listen to them, and decide which ones you think deserve the feed.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
KurtisRich said:
You know what kind of bugs me out? When someone gives a shitload of list of beats they want you to check out... for example...

Check out my beats!
1 www.myshit.com

2.www.myshit#2.com

3.www.myfuckenwackshit.com

And many more etc.... that bugs me though.

I think some people are just too anxious to get their beats heard.

No no, the worst is when someone does something like this:

"Hey people, wassup? Please check out my beats:

sounclick.com/whatever"

And then you click, and there's like 10 FUCKIN BEATS and they didn't specify anyone in particular. That's really anoying, like, what do they expect you to do? Check em all? Some? One?

Fade said:
This continues on throughout the thread. So like this:
>> 1st post
>> 2nd post -- gives feedback, asks for feedback
>> 3rd post -- gives feedback, asks for feedback
etc etc

Wasn't that the rule since day one?:p

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Qwerty said:
No no, the worst is when someone does something like this:

"Hey people, wassup? Please check out my beats:

sounclick.com/whatever"

And then you click, and there's like 10 FUCKIN BEATS and they didn't specify anyone in particular. That's really anoying, like, what do they expect you to do? Check em all? Some? One?

lol qwerty you are the man. right on the money though.

i like the idea of having to review other peoples stuff to get reviews for yourself. I guess you could get a script if you wanted to, or the members could just mentally keep tab. its obvious to everyone just by looking in the thread at who hasnt returned feedback. someone could let them know they need to hit people back an if they dont, then they wont get any feedback from then on until they do.

even if they come back a few showcases later an try an post somethin, anyone that remembers could just drop a line an let em know they need to review everyone elses ish before anyone in the new showcase will review them.

i dunno, these ideas are good though

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Qwerty said:
Well sort of. It was basically an un-written rule. This time it would be an actual rule.

It's a toss up, but whatever conclusion we come to, it would be best if 1 or 2 of you guys would take care of it by monitoring the threads in there. Who's up for the task? The winner gets a can of beans.

Emeezy

Etrack Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
I check out pretty much every showcase, I always see people who dont leave feedback, its usally people who are farely new here. It doesnt really piss me off but i always wanna say something. I just figured nobody would care if i told em anways and keep goin about there day. But that being said i wouldnt mind lettin people know. Im checkin the threads out every week anyways.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
lol qwerty you are the man. right on the money though.

i like the idea of having to review other peoples stuff to get reviews for yourself. I guess you could get a script if you wanted to, or the members could just mentally keep tab. its obvious to everyone just by looking in the thread at who hasnt returned feedback. someone could let them know they need to hit people back an if they dont, then they wont get any feedback from then on until they do.

even if they come back a few showcases later an try an post somethin, anyone that remembers could just drop a line an let em know they need to review everyone elses ish before anyone in the new showcase will review them.

i dunno, these ideas are good though
Str8 5th !!
Querty, right on!!! lol

members online

No members online now.