Reason analog rack template

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey ILL..got a challenge for the "experts"...well since group can read people so well..lemme just say it like this...I WANNA MAKE REASON SOUND AS ANALOG AS POSSIBLE, SHOW ME HOW!! lolol...seriously...im not new to Reason been with her since 1.0 in 2000. And yes i know computers aren't analog anyway but..im fiddling around with stacking Scream modules to try and get the best analog sound possible. I have an SP1200 here with me as well..and comparing back and fourth...same drum kit loaded on the SP as i have loaded in Reason. Just using my raw ears and of course monitoring on the same reference monitors. I thought about using a spectrogram and comparing visually..tweak play view, tweak play view..but i dunno just wanna try with ears first. Has anyone ever tackled this. Help me out with any tips or tricks if you dont mind...if i get something goin nice that i like..ill be more than happy to upload the template for all

preciate any feedback

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks Smith..thats an article i had never seen on Ill good info. That really focuses on drums...what im more after is yes..the 12 bit sound..but for the whole Reason rack. I guess what im saying is..im experimenting with different stacks of Screams and EQ's, compression etc etc to "combinize" lol it and add it to the top of the rack similar to a mastering combi..but will give the whole rack a "pseudo 12 bit sound"..am i making any sense or just rambling...sorry its late. What i would LOVE is if the ILL fam would come together and help me come up with a SICK "pseudo 12bit analog" combinator patch...and i can customize a backdrop for it and call it something like.....ILLMUZIKS SP12BA (Sick Pseudo 12 Bit Analog)...LOLOL...i dont know..just something crazy....and up it for all the ILL fam to have that use Reason..........any volunteers??? Just tryin to give back in a different way

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Good luck with that!

The thing is, I don't think most users of Reason want to "analog" aka "dirty up" everything up. Most of "todays" music calls for a combo of both (analog and digital).

That's why I Rewire Reason with a DAW so I can have to ability to mess with vst's. I have the closest thing to the sp12 in a vsti called "Proteus VX". I can actally use it as a virtual instrument, set the effect to sp12, and everything coming out emulates 12 bit or I can use it as a vst FX and throw it on a Reason track Rewired to my DAW of choice (Ableton Live 7.03) and get that 12 bit crunch on my Reason tracks. Rewire is a beautiful thing. Allows you to do with Reason the things that you can't really do with it being "so clean" as someone has already stated. Those screams can only do so much before they over tweak shit. There are also a lot of 8 and 12 bit sample packs out there that get the job done.

Keep experimenting! You may find a combo of something that gets you in the ball park. ONE!

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
LOLOLO...I feel ya Drama..i guess i should have stated this is actually for a project..more of a "proof" project so to speak....me personally..ill just dirty up the final product in Peak or Audition using the PSP Mixpack2 or a host of other shit. Yes Ive heard about Proteus VX but isnt that interface specific? Yeah i too am a rewire whore ALL DAY LONG my choice is Pro Tools 7.4..lots of sound mangling processors in the Oxford bundle. But you know what..if you spend some time the Screams can be pretty damn dope. They will only trash if you let em...but yo..thanks for the response fam. Ill let you know how its coming

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Yes Ive heard about Proteus VX but isnt that interface specific?

The version I have isn't. It works great for me. There is a version that is interface specific though. I guess they knew not many people would go out and purchase a sound card and interface just to use it so they released a slimmed down version that works just as well.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
this probly wont solve it either but if you ever come across a copy of live, they have a plugin called "redux" that is specifically for reducing bit rate.

but, try messing with the scream distortion on the digital setting...tweaking that gives some definite crunch...then try stacking another one on the "tape" setting...mess with those.
its just gonna come down to experimenting.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yep exactly..thats just what im doing...yes i have a copy of Live..use it religiously..LOVE IT as a matter of fact...but im just trying to keep it within Reason (no pun intended, lol) and see whats possible

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
The screams dope but it tends to color the audio too much for my taste.
What i would try maybe is rewiring to either something like Live or Logic and then applying a plugin to the desired track, or if you want everything to sound that way - just bounce the track and then import into your daw to do some final tweaking.
Try a plugins like Massey's Tapehead plugin which is free by the way:
http://www.smassey.com/au.html
Or use something like iZotopes Analog modeled vinyl simulator which is also free:
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

members online