Reaper vs Pro Tools

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Alright, so basically I'm trying to find out the main differences between the two. I've never used Pro Tools, just Reaper, but it looks to be almost the same thing. Other than the hype around PT, is there any real reason why it costs 10x as much? Is it the Plugins? Can it do anything better? Is there really much of a difference with the interface?
I see a lot of people complaining about PT not working properly also, yet Reaper I've never have a problem with. Obviously thats a biased thing to say, but is Pro Tools actually worth the money?

I'm not thinking of buying it or anything, I'm just trying to figure out why theres such a price difference.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yes, Pro tools does tons of stuff Reaper does not do. PT is a great tool for post production, Reaper does not even touch post.

As far as people complaining that PT does not work properly sometimes, I agree. The thing can drive you nuts. But if you are an engineer you simply MUST know PT. You can get work, just by being the PT expert. You will not find ANY Reaper specific jobs. For years I personally have had a love/hate thing going with PT. It does so much stuff so well, but so much so terribly.

Pro tools is perfect for studios, because it can basically do EVERYTHING. No matter what job gets thrown at you, PT can work with it. Now I am not saying it always works well, but it will get the job done.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Yes, Pro tools does tons of stuff Reaper does not do. PT is a great tool for post production, Reaper does not even touch post.

As far as people complaining that PT does not work properly sometimes, I agree. The thing can drive you nuts. But if you are an engineer you simply MUST know PT. You can get work, just by being the PT expert. You will not find ANY Reaper specific jobs. For years I personally have had a love/hate thing going with PT. It does so much stuff so well, but so much so terribly.

Pro tools is perfect for studios, because it can basically do EVERYTHING. No matter what job gets thrown at you, PT can work with it. Now I am not saying it always works well, but it will get the job done.

Interesting. So what about Logic? It can not only rival PT in popularity, but it also runs smoother (going by what I've read, not experience)

Oh and could you be more specific on what you mean by Post Production? It has a lot of basic effects, for mixing and such, and you can easily install more plugins if the stock ones aren't good enough.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Reaper, really solid program which you can run from a usb drive that tiny. Loads of routing options, automation is everywhere. We tried this when Logic had issues on a new mac pro and found it really flexible to work with plus it needs next to nothing on resources. Reaper lacks a lot of features you'd find in PT or Logic but other than that it does exactly what you may expect from any daw.

Im a Logic user though, for its features and due to the Logic Environment. With logic environment i could take my drumstation and make a tr step editor which dumps score to tracks. Lots of fun stuff you can do, in our case its the only program that can let us work without a console while still having inline capabilities

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well Logic does not rival Pro tools in popularity at all. When I say post, I mean mixing for film, dialog editing ETC.

For example, mixing 200+ tracks on several consoles with several mixer engineers at the same time. Pro tools has a great solution for this. Pro tools also handles ADR great, where Reaper does not do this at all. Don't get me wrong, Reaper is great. But there is a Reason Pro tools is so ubiquitous.

members online