Reality Check: WE ARENT THAT GOOD.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Truth, I agree and disagree.

I agree because yes, overall we all need to improve our craft. Most of the time I hear lots of dope beats from everyone here, but every once in a while I hear average stuff. But that's how it is no matter what - no matter how good we think we are, there's always room for improvement. Also, like the others have said - hearing someone's beats online distorts people's views about that beat because it's "online", rather than on MTV.

I disagree because from what you wrote, I get the impression that you're saying what you're saying because of the recent Beat This! comp. Sure, overall the beats weren't amazing, and yes we've had a lot better competitions, but that shouldn't be a reason to start this thread. (Truth, if that wasn't your intention then correct me).

Overall, yes we need to improve. But great artists are always criticizing themselves, saying that their own stuff is crap and needs lots of work, even though it's really good. All these competitions and showcases are for fun, but mainly to help you all improve. And hopefully we'll one day be considered THE place for the hottest producers.

As for the whole Soundclick thing, I do agree that it's a bad idea. First of all, going at someone for no reason is what people that are bored do. I've always looked at that as people that think they're all that so they decide to jump on someone else that's not as good to make themselves feel better. Stress, it's not aimed directly at you, I'm just stating my thoughts on that kind of tactic. That's why I mentioned in one of my posts in that thread that "IllMuzik is not officially supporting this".

You guys can do that Soundclick thing if you want, but I think it's a waste of time. At least do it without using the IllMuzik name! Remember, everything reflects back on illmuzik.com. And plus, starting shit over at other sites will only encourage the bad-asses over there to come here and fuck things up.... and what will happen? I'll get pissed off!

Just think about the Soundclick thing, that's all.

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Interesting,
A worthy read for the first thing in the morning. Now I dont want to spiritualize or get skeptic, but I am a writer, though not professional it is within to me to elaborate my personal point-of-view.
First Cold, you are making what was one of my biggest personal mistakes ever in producing, degrading myself by comparing what I produce against the maintsream music of the world. It took a while to sink in, that no matter what I do i'll never be able to produce or duplicate the sounds that are today's hip-hop.
It took the showcase here on Illmuzik, it took a few fans for me to realize. I am different, my musical influences are different, my education stem a little deeper to the roots of reggae, and most of all I am my biggest skeptic. And the music I produce, is the music that haunts my mind each day.
I commend everyone here on Illmuzik, for most if not all of us here are producing on the most unlikely equipments of all time.
Take for example 'frique, his gift from Santa, just an oridnary keyboard. But look at what hes already given us, classic soul and if you listen carefully to his beat. You hear chord progression that itself makes his beats classic comparable to that of a composer, and I bet my money right now give 'frique and all the members here just enough resources :equipments: and it'll be a whole new ball game.
Right now, my beats aren't everything, but they are unique in every way, and they aren't anybody out there that makes beats to the style I have. That my friend makes getting up and spending every hour of each day doing what I love regardless of whatever, because I know once I showcase them, I'll get a little love from the Illmuzik fams and thats all I need to get by.

About the battle thing, my personal opinion :
I think its a great idea, especially the way I would've organized it. I planned on keeping a top ten of the hottest lyricist based on stats of their winning on an exclusive webpage. Simplified, if you wack or got nothing to say - you will never make it to top ten or even if you do, you will need some serious skills to keep up at the top. This translates into exactly what Stress would've wanted a sort of elimination of the weaker kind, until only the elite remains. I believe once and for all these battles would've definitely proved not that Illmuzik holds a great standard of lyricist and beatmakers, but as other sites as well. And I bet as the tourney progresses we will find greater and greater challenge, in the end that challenge is passed on to us, to keep if we make that #1 spot. Just think we would have artistes repping different sites and forums battling over that elite spot. I definitely feel we should go ahead and test our skills.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Look Ima put it like this ya dig, you not going to get any further with internet battles thats true I really look at battlin over the net as just an avenue to practice my flow (which is what I need to work on) I practice every chance I get, but battles bring out the best in everyone lyrically I really could care less if a person is not on "my level" or not when i diss them they can either respond or keep quite simple as that sometimes I may get ripped and sometimes I do the ripping but the idea is to sharpen your skills and keep creative juices flowin thats what tearin up soundclick would do I could practice my flow its not like loosing an internet battle is going to shatter anyones career lol, and yeah why not battle that other site you spoke of I really dont care as long as I can do what I love doin, mcing. Of course we neeed to step our game up WE ALWAYS NEED TO STEP IT UP no matter how good you get because even when or if your on the top theres always someone practicing harder to knock you off. So if I get the green light from stress Im gonna make a cold ass diss track for soundclick and be done with it why not? Then if we feel like its time to move on to someone else Ill do that too and if you want to exchange words Im all for it.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
I agree and disagree, i am sh1t, really, but i still reakon we all got got talent, being good and having talent are different, talent can be nurtured and polished, into being good, but come on we would own soundclick, i think even I could fucking battle them and win, i agree we should aim higher tho....you dont get better by playing with the small boys, play with bruisers die by the bruiser, become a big boy yourself, @Krzy i hear you )last sentence, battling against big boys would be fun as well, "i got thrashed in a beat battle by the new RZA" that would be fucking sweet!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
WHOA!!!! i only got past a few posts before i realized i still didnt get the point across the way i meant it!

it was never about, "we need to get better"- that is an obvious thing anyways. and merc, i KNOW you can hang with major label cats. i think more than a few of us can.

all i was gettin at, was this-

IF WE ARE GOING TO BATTLE ANYONE, A SITE OR WHATEVER, FUCK SOUNDCLICK. WE KNOW WE ARE BETTER. WE AINT (COLLECTIVELY) AT THE LEVEL SOME OF THESE MAJORS ARE, MAINLY BECAUSE OF EXPOSURE, SOME BECAUSE OF TIME, AND OTHER THINGS, BUT THESE ARE WHO WE NEED TO COME AFTER BECAUSE THEY GOT WHAT WE WANT. PERIOD. THESE SOUNDCLICK DUDES AINT SHIT, WE AINT DOING NOTHING FOR OURSELVES BY COMING AFTER THEM.

the actual emphasis was never on how we arent that good.... it was basically saying we need to move forward and not fuck with these other cats.... because a lot of us ARE ready...

i guess i did it the wrong way- the whole point of making the comparison between us and the "majors" was to illistrate the same difference between us and the rest of the internet world- why would they fuck with us?(the majors) when we got nothing they stand to gain by it. likewise, we shouldnt even bother with these other kids.... ... that aint got shit for talent or even work ethic for that matter. we stand to gain absoluetly nothing from it. i spoke of my personal issues to kind of put the heat on myself.. this was never intended to say anyone needs to do anything- but it was questioning what the hell we are doing when we want to have a site battle with a bunch of weak as 15 year olds...

and i havent read everything yet, so if there has been anything said that i dont get just yet i will respond later. i apologize if this got misunderstood.... i aint trying to put nobody hear on blast or nothin like that... i got into it with mod 1 and because he was running his mouth (Tim D and NUG also responded, but i had to delete it all) and took this thread as a license to diss everyone for sampling... i just need everyone to know where my intentions lie here...

****************UPDATE******************
i just read (most) of the thread, and i can clearly see i screwed this up. it really was never with the attitude of w arent good enough. i know what the line isaid, i know i said it- "we arent as good as these guys"- i wouldnt deny it if i could get away with it.

the beat comp didnt have a whole lot to do with it, believe it or not, and there like 4 or 5 that i REALLY liked... (and messenger, yours was among them.,.... yours was actually pretty ill.....)....

so let me just apologize, because this was really all about the soundclick thing. i tried to relate things to keep perspective- we aint eatin off this yet, and we are going to attack someone else for no reason under the Illmuzk banner-Fade's business basically- because we can? i just figured, we need to check ourselves cause it looks like we are getting a little big headed..... and sometimes its good to realize, "we aint eatin off this yet". thats all i just wanted everyone to re-evaluate things and keep perspective. why? because i dont want to represent and be a part of some arrogant, big mouthed-we can-beat-anybody-attitude group/family/site whatever you consider this. i dont want to see this site turn into that. we are better PEOPLE than that. fuck being an artist. we are better PEOPLE than that. i know what its like to NOT be any good and have people diss on me instead of trying to help me realize my passion and potential. i'm not saying we should help them, because thats what we are on this site for. messenger, you specifically, yes, i think this is the best place to learn and gain knowledge.. i have learned a great deal in my year here. i made some good contacts with other artists and made some friends. of course, at some point we all need to get up, get out and get our music out- but that wasnt what this was about. the "much less the internet" line (although i did a poor job saying it, as with everything else i have said it seems...) that we "need to need to understand what we need to do to make it in the industry, much less the internet"- i should have said "instead of the internet"- not dissing the internet because it has opened so many doors none of us would have had ootherwise- but again, this soundclick thing is bullshit. unless we (stress in particluar) seeks out anyone there with actual skills to battle and call out... but a general diss is pointless. ... fuck soundclick. lets conquer the industry. thats where our focus needs to be anyways, isnt it? if you aint ready, you aint ready. there is nothing wrong with that. but this soundclick thing is pointless, doing it as we were going to anyways.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo at the end of the day?

it seems i basically dissed the members (unintentionally) here and i apologize for that- it never occurred to me that that part would so dominate the subject... but all i want is what is best for this site and its members and the career directions we all have.

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
Yeah I agree with you Truth some people here suck but don't swallow.....:D

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
nas, i dont agree with you. people need to stop taking this as some diss session. that wasnt what it was. read my damn post again. you dont agree with me because i dont think we suck.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
yep i feel you truth, we shudnt be wasting energy with soundclick, but rather be concetrating it on the industry. i aint sayin we shud battle the industry, but like we shud be working on getting illmuzik heard and also reppin ourselves.
ive been here at illmuzik roun 2yrs naturing my craft, but now with my game upped(and i dont think ive reached my potential), am begining to push my work out here, getting contacts with djs and looking to get work at a radio station. at the moment i get free time to come over here and browse the forums regulary, so im signed on alot, but in the future i probably wont be here often(mayb once a week), so am makin the most of the resources while i can, hence 'more internet'. ill leave it at that.
but truth i see where u coming from, the whole soundclick thing is pointless,it wud be funy tho lol, but on the serious point i dont really see what we will gain from it

Muzik

SouthBound
ill o.g.
this is some deep shit... Personally i agree with ya Truth no need to explain why i just do... One of tha "Main Reasons" i joined here was
tha fact that there was no "mainstream" influence to this site..
Everones mind is not clouded by "Tha Mainstream" Blue collar guidelines
that the industry has set... So there Creativity is at tha upmost "Yall not scared to try new things" "Much Luv" In That direction who knows maybe tha illest unheard of style will form...... 2nd tha comlexety of the stuff ive heard on here is just what i need.. yall Way better than me and by that Fact im going to grow off of your opinons,your muzik, and the sheerdiversity of tha aura that surrounds yall.. I look up to yall all of you!!! Much Luv... Yea im gettin Air Play down here.. Yea folks is lovin it.. "But"Mepersonaly im surrounded by simple easy, repetative individuals downhere ..In which these people will not help me grow so im stuck at one level... I need the complexity !!!! i need people to be honset, tell me my shit wak but be honest... Dont just say it because im from tha "ATL" hell im takein a chance by being here... So if i can break those bonds make yall change your preseption of tha south and the rest of them folks down here that are stuck too then thats a big step.. Look at "some of tha artists"already make a lil change, but folks up north an i agree with yall, were fuckin simple ,repetative same old crunk this crunk that man its ok sometimes but im trying to grow here "Up >My< game"... Reality bites but thats how i want it!!! Thank you all... "ALL OF YOU" Im not affended by any remark or diss or anything.. Well almost anything... Keep it real...

Tha whole Illmuzik vs soundclick thing the track i produced and submitted
at tha time was "nice to me" some of yall might of heard it.. but im not feeling it anymore... Its not my best... Need to grow.... and ive changed tha name of it and Humbled myself cause although it would be funlike i posted in that thread and the rest of yall said "I dont see anything to Gain" from it... But... "IF I SEE ILLMUZIK BACKED INTO THA CORNER"
"I WILL MAKE MY NAME TASTE LIKE SHIT IN THERE MOUTH" werd!!!
I have so much more to add but no time ill be back latter peeps and Formant i agree with you on tha mastering part i know mad folks including myself would love a industry standard master For example Afri."s Battle this track would really shine on a masterd mix...

thanks .. Maybe one day ill be on yalls level .. ;)

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Everything is a slow process. Ive been on this site for almost 3 years now and i have heard a lot of people who started out wack but slowly started getting better. (ME included) as far as comparing ourselves with major releases, i dont think thats a fair comparison. We are struggling musicians with limited access to tools and time. how can you compare our music with individuals who have the luxury to do what they love 24/7?? I know that if i was given an advance of, lets say, $60,000 to make 3 BANGIN' BEATS in a span of 3 weeks, i know i can deliver. So ILLMUZIK peeps, keep it up! we gettin' there! the CD COMPILATION is the first step. we can go from there (by the way, FADE! GET ME ON THE NEXT ONE. ILL COME WITH SOME FIRE)

blaqcyde

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
i feel wut u sayin p_1...i mean the major producers have access to live intruments, unlimited sounds and hardware that costs thousands of dollars...all i can afford is sum software and a midi controller. but i do wut i can wit wut i got and wut i got im proud of. ILLMUZIK is a great building block to help us get to where we wanna be....word

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
Good that you've cleared that one up a bit truth, the second one came out with a lot more positivity for my eyes, a good rallying call for us all to up each of our games a bit, start aiming high and even if we miss we'll still be better for it. Now lets get Afrique signed to Interscope lol

E

Equality 7-2521

thanks for clearing that up Truth. (unfortunately some seemed to ignore your update but nevermind.

Truth: i think it was youtr thread title that had everyone fooled lol. not to worry.

I REALLY feel you with the soundclick thing. from an objective point of view, it seems like the act of dissing soundclick would be "bringing others down in order to get up". that is the process of a loser. winners dont need to pull others down. they get so good that the position of others is irrelevant. so yeah i agree that dissing soundclick is a wack move. i thikn dissing ANYONE at this currant point in time is stupid.

i thought that if we are gonna make it in this industry we have to be making connections. right? isnt that wat its about. countless times on this board ive heard the experianced peeps say about how making it in this industry has ALOT to do with who you know and who you connect with. my point: you dont make connections by dissing someone. when you diss someone, they wont like you. when ythey dont like you, they will try to fuck you over when they have the chance.

i know this whole soundclick thing was about "disposing of the wackness" or "taking out the trash" or whatever but yo why the fuck do you (maning the peeps who DO want to battle soundclick) feel obliged to take the trash out?

this is the perfect time for me to qoute Aesop Rock.
"Next time you want to be a hero, try saving something other than Hiphop and maybe Hiphop will save you from the pit stop."

and i dont think it has anything to do with how wack soundclick is. im also agains dissing a site which has been making moves.

basically i think we should put our egos asside and fuck this battle bullshit untill we are established and are making it in the industry.

true some are ready. but if the ones who are ready diss somone. that someone will automatically think the whole of illmuzik dissed them

andway to cut a long story short........FUCK THE SONDCLICK (or whatever other site) BATTLES.

IT AINT TAKING US WHERE WE WANT TO GO.

i concider that blatently obvious.

word up to Truth. (and im glad you liked my beat dude. cheers for mentioning it)

and have a nice fucking day

peace

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
My personal opinion.
1. The soundclick thingy isnt really anything personal so dissin it is a bit useless..
2. Dissin soundclick is to global, pinpoint your aim if you want to take em out..
3. It shouldnt be on a illmuzikbanner, form a collective of people who are active on illmuzik and make up a team with another name. Cause Fade doesnt want to be associated and some other members arent into this.
4. Besides that I think (when aspired) get your name out with your own shit so people can listen to it, that's the best dis i think. And on the second thing you release, if you still desire so, dis some wack cats like nelly and so on that are in the industry.. cause soundclick is internet and it aint shit to anyone.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 254
I don't think SOUNDCLICK is that whack ... I've heard a lot of dope beats there (you got to dig a lil' deeper !) and as far as us not being that good : well , that's kinda true I guess...but I definetly know some people here that could hang with the big boys, but really they're not given the opportunity to do so ...

D

DIRTONE

TRUE

MAN ALL WE CAN DO IS TO KEEP DROPING WHAT WE DROP AND DO WHAT WE DO.
-DIRTONE

Attachments

• 17_dirtbag.jpg
    17_dirtbag.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 134