Rawkus Records is Back

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Oh God help us....they were able to sign hot artists but the whole foundation is what F'd them....some rich kid with money again dabbling in the arts of hip hop wanting to capitalize....that could be good and bad....but I wont repeat Evil D's words here when I saw him in NY about 4 years ago now.....time flies anyhow concerning the label....but yes I do own sound bombing.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
bigdmakintrax said:
Oh God help us....they were able to sign hot artists but the whole foundation is what F'd them....some rich kid with money again dabbling in the arts of hip hop wanting to capitalize....that could be good and bad....but I wont repeat Evil D's words here when I saw him in NY about 3 years ago concerning the label....but yes I do own sound bombing.
What are you talking about, you own sound bombing?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^ same here....

what did you say, BigD?

ill o.g.
whats peoples beef with rawkus? I dont give a fuck i love the shit they were puttin out and im glad there back, i just hope they still got that same sound as they used to or that they can top there older shit.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Loose Cannon said:
whats peoples beef with rawkus? I dont give a fuck i love the shit they were puttin out and im glad there back, i just hope they still got that same sound as they used to or that they can top there older shit.
Word up. Look at every other label that was succesful at some point and youll find people that you dont fuckin like for whatever reason. Thats irrelevant. Rawkus had some hot acts. They were what Babygrande is now.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Naw I was saying I own that joint with Babu and bunch of other somewhat legends in hip hop, I bought it BRAND NEw I didnt start listening to hip hop last week LOL.....naw theres a ton of real hip hop heads either that were signed to that rich kid got daddys money label but I know absolutely nothing of hip hop...LOl anyhow I feel you but if it gets a Black eye from some of the legends I cant fuck with it LOL sorry.....they were out to change the pure artform of hip hop even though they gave birth and starts to so many Legends because they were the "only real underground fokused hip hop label at that time or so they wanted to make it seem so to the artists".....

I was at a conference and Evil D in attendance clarified his statements with me during the open session....because I also wanted to know why he hated the label so much....but after that I said damn thats crazy from a producer or artists standpoint but it looks like they were the first of many to come to exploit hip hop for the money....LOL

I dont know what else to tell you except I found this article....but look at the founders of the label and their big money.....LOL

Excerpt from
http://www.answers.com/topic/rawkus-records

Rawkus was its focus on selling records rather than making music that these acts wanted to make. In other words, Rawkus wanted their musicians to change their style of music to suit sales projections rather than the fans who bought all of Rawkus's releases. The catalyst for this was when Interscope/Geffen bought Rawkus and shifted the focus from underground acts producing what they want to acts producing what the labels want. Evil Dee said in a radio interview with Jay Smooth on 7 september 2001, “Hip hop means nothing to them. Nothing. They don't care; all they want is a check.” Evil Dee then impersonated a Rawkus executive in a tongue-in-cheek manner, saying “Hey if you put that dashiki and a gold chain you'll be phat!” Mister Walt, who was also being interviewed, put it best: “I've never seen a label, you know, I haven't even seen Def Jam have a fan base where, the kids see the razorblade (Rawkus's imprint, like Death Row Records' electric chair), they just buy it.” A little while later, Mister Walt continued his argument: “So these guys had a fanbase, and they turned [their] back on the fanbase.” Ultimately, in early 2004, Interscope/Geffen dropped the label and Rawkus folded, forcing everyone (including many of their best acts) to move to other labels (Company Flow left Rawkus over a dispute. El-P then formed Def Jux, what he thought Rawkus was supposed to be).

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
bigdmakintrax said:
(Company Flow left Rawkus over a dispute. El-P then formed Def Jux, what he thought Rawkus was supposed to be).

AND MR LEN GOT A LABEL TOO, DUMMYSMACKS (BULLYMOUTH ON THERE IS MY PEOPLES WHATCH FOR THAT).

EITHER WAY REGARDLES OF THE MAKE OF THE OWNERS ITS A GOOD LOOK TO BRING BACK RAWKUS CAUSE JUST THE PAST NAME IS GONNA MAKE WHATEVA UNDA GROUND ACTS THEY GOT SELL. bUT ASIDE FROM THE SHITYT POLITICS THE BUT OUT SOME CLASSICS. wELL EVERY THING ECEPT FOR THE LAST TALIB ALBUM.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Rupert Murdoch practically runs the world. I never knew his son ran Rawkus. That's crazy.

It feels good to know some dudes still got merits when it comes to Hip Hop. Rather than comprimising his style El-P said:

"Being signed to Rawkus, I'd rather be face fucked by Nazi's unconcious"

big ups to Evil Dee too.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
"Sign to rawkuss? I rather be mouthfucked by nazis unconscious" El-P

--edit: didnt see you already put the quote up mandamyth--

members online