rappable beats?

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Is it that some beats are just better to tell a story or send a message in a rap versus just not coinciding with the purpose of the story or message?

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
Keep Them Heads Ringin!

I Make Beats Emcee's Can Rhyme To, To Me Thats The Whole Purpose, Unless Its Some Thing Im Just Gonna Scratch Over , But Even Then Its Structured To Have Hooks And 16 Or Whatever Bars In Between , Kind Of Like Dj Premiers Deep Concentration, In The End Im Just Making Beats To Get Mudafuckas Bopping They Heads To It!

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
M!nd_Ctrl said:
What makes a beat rappable or not? Timing? Instruments? Drums? Is it a personal style? Are you saying that peeps here don't make Hip Hop up to industry standards? Please enlighten me. I can see if the snares or instruments were off beat or something like that but shouldn't a "good" rapper be able to flow over anything?

Ctrl

To me rap beats need to not be muddled with too many instruments. The music needs to be simple, yet not simplistic in form. Melodies say alot on their own without tryin to be too complex.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
M!nd_Ctrl said:
Is it that some beats are just better to tell a story or send a message in a rap versus just not coinciding with the purpose of the story or message?

it's about making it easy and not going overboard on your beats. catchy but simple bassline first off, solid but simple drums... i think me and most people here over complicate the beats and make them a maze that make the message of the emcee confusing to the customer. i over complicate my beats in an amatuer way, and others overcomplicate them in a more advanced way.

it's about making perfection simple. not making the obvious simple.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I don't think about rappability (if there is such a word)

I make music..to make music....who am I to determine if someone can rap to my beat???

I can't rap...(although i've made a few attempts).......so I wouldn't know if a beat is MC compatible...

but yeah..

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
jclay12345 said:
I don't understand what you mean.

Meaning the beat is telling a story that the rapper can feel and base his/her lyrics on. I think I was getting off subject. I think this thread deals more with form, complexity and timing.

Ctrl

ill o.g.
Sorry I didn't read everyones reply BUT,I will say that alot of people make the mistake of tryna obtain complex beats by interducing chord progressions,change up's ,break downs,and add variation...What ends up happening is the creation of an instrumental...not a beat.If you have intentions of having someone rap on it simplify.Cause when you have a dope "beat" that hold it's own with out a mc chances are it will fall flat on its face when you try to put one on there.IMO.

E

Equality 7-2521

i produce for myself, not MCs. Id hate to be in a position where the artistic vision of another artist dictated my artistic vision. Haha what a joke.

And for anyone (jclay) who thinks Hiphop is not Hiphop because the song doesnt feature a rapper: does this also apply to DJs? Is Hiphop not Hiphop if it doesnt feature a DJ scratching it up? Im going to assume your answer is NO.....and how strange, esp when DJs were the ones who started this Hiphop shit. If i havnt made my point clear enough, Hiphop DOES NOT = rappers on beats. Think outside that microscopic square for a sec.

I can understand you make what you like listening to but loops and rappers is not the only kind of Hiphop ya know.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
i guess thats my point man, i dont believe in ever categorising my music, so if what i make isnt hip hop in your eyes, thats cool, and i can understand what you mean now, and why you would think that way...i just guess we come at it from a different angle...i make music because of a love for art, and a primarily musical love of art at that.....so the art and the power of it come first

alot of people use the progressive artsy umbrella as an excuse for wackness, so be aware of that, cos ive been in many situations where peeps play me wackness and they are always quick to assert how different they are and how they are trying to create something new.

But often i find that these peeps cant make stuff that bangs so they end up making some abstract garbage, so i think its good to b very critical and not let urself off the hook.

JUST COS SOMETHING IS DIFFERENT AND NO ONE ELSE IS DOING IT DOES NOT MEAN IS INNOVATIVE, IT MIGHT BE THAT PEOPLE HAD THE SENSE TO REALISE THAT A PARTICULAR DIRECTION WAS WACK SO THEY NEVA PURSUED IT.

jclay12345

JClay
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
i produce for myself, not MCs. Id hate to be in a position where the artistic vision of another artist dictated my artistic vision. Haha what a joke.

And for anyone (jclay) who thinks Hiphop is not Hiphop because the song doesnt feature a rapper: does this also apply to DJs? Is Hiphop not Hiphop if it doesnt feature a DJ scratching it up? Im going to assume your answer is NO.....and how strange, esp when DJs were the ones who started this Hiphop shit. If i havnt made my point clear enough, Hiphop DOES NOT = rappers on beats. Think outside that microscopic square for a sec.

I can understand you make what you like listening to but loops and rappers is not the only kind of Hiphop ya know.

i didn't say it is not hip hop if it doesn't feature a rapper. I'm saying if an instrumental is not rappable, it is not hip hop. I could be wrong. That is why I just wanted to know everyone's input.

and I don't know if DJs started hip hop, but they kept it going.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ummm yeah you are wrong in that assesment im.... so if a beat isnt rappable, it isnt hip hop? what abuot break beats? not just "breaks", but "break beats"? you, the kind that b-boys get down to? thats hip hop in its rawest form right there, just drums and percussion really....what about groups like Invisble Scratch Picklez? they are turntablists, they spin records... the scratch and do amazing things, and can make ANYTHING sound like a hip hop record. so dj q bert aint hip hop? hell a lot of RJD2's beats would be ruined if you put rappers on them.... and that dude is a man among men in the production game..... arent many with better samplin skills, i promise you (equalityis tryin though! lol) and if you dont think that man's music is hip hop.... i dont know what else to say.

i'm sorry man but you have a VERY narrow perspective what hip hop is..... and the irony is that norrow view seems to have produced a broad, generalized, blanketed perspective of what ISNT.

and, a dj DID start him hop, dj kool herc to my knowledge.....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i think there is a clear difference between a ''rap beat'' and a ''hip hop beat''.

i mean a Lil Jon beat is your typical rap beat. you couldnt listen to an album of his instrumentals, they are just too simple.

whereas you got people like Pete Rock and RJD2 who make that real stand alone, raw hip hop music.

but it all depends on how you look at it. no ones wrong.

sAfE.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
no, there is a right and wrong here, sorry to say.

all rap can be hip hop, but all hip hop doesnt have to be rap.

jclay12345

JClay
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
ummm yeah you are wrong in that assesment im.... so if a beat isnt rappable, it isnt hip hop? what abuot break beats? not just "breaks", but "break beats"? you, the kind that b-boys get down to? thats hip hop in its rawest form right there, just drums and percussion really....what about groups like Invisble Scratch Picklez? they are turntablists, they spin records... the scratch and do amazing things, and can make ANYTHING sound like a hip hop record. so dj q bert aint hip hop? hell a lot of RJD2's beats would be ruined if you put rappers on them.... and that dude is a man among men in the production game..... arent many with better samplin skills, i promise you (equalityis tryin though! lol) and if you dont think that man's music is hip hop.... i dont know what else to say.

i'm sorry man but you have a VERY narrow perspective what hip hop is..... and the irony is that norrow view seems to have produced a broad, generalized, blanketed perspective of what ISNT.

and, a dj DID start him hop, dj kool herc to my knowledge.....

the break beats I've heard are rappable, but people just don't rap on it. the DJs u named, sorry I never heard of them. but u have a good point though cuz I have heard some dj scratch competitions and I wasn't feelin it because it wasn't rappable. but that doesn't mean that it isn't hip hop like you said. so ok, I see your point.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
alot of people use the progressive artsy umbrella as an excuse for wackness, so be aware of that, cos ive been in many situations where peeps play me wackness and they are always quick to assert how different they are and how they are trying to create something new.

But often i find that these peeps cant make stuff that bangs so they end up making some abstract garbage, so i think its good to b very critical and not let urself off the hook.

JUST COS SOMETHING IS DIFFERENT AND NO ONE ELSE IS DOING IT DOES NOT MEAN IS INNOVATIVE, IT MIGHT BE THAT PEOPLE HAD THE SENSE TO REALISE THAT A PARTICULAR DIRECTION WAS WACK SO THEY NEVA PURSUED IT.
haha....obviously some people who try and make arty music are going to make garbage....there are people who lack talent and vision in every field....its a mute point, and has no contentious rationale.....just because some people make a false representation of the advantageous areas of a specific field, does not make the arguments for that field any less pertinent....because the same issue is equally commonplace in any other field of hip hop, it is an argument that logically cancels itself out....and due to the seemingly intentional nature of your use of derogatory word use for abstract music as opposed to the lack of a counterpoint to your positivity for "bangin" beats it makes it seem as if you are only posting this mute point for the sake of bellicose reactionary bullshit........and what the fuck is stuff that bangs, whether it bangs or it is somewhat more chilled out, its whether it is GOOD or not.....im sick of this keep it real, keep it banging shit...keep it skilled, and fucking quality, whatever style you make......all forms of music can be good, dont close your ears to anything that isnt banging...........that to me is an "umbrella" for those scared to let all forms of thought, style, and vision into the world