Rap Image

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
If you get big and sign to a major label, how does the whole image thing work?

do they let you have control of your own image or do they have things like marketin teams and shit like that decide wut the best image would be for you.

cuz man im plannin on gettin big wit dis shit but im tryna do my own thing. im not tryna have ppl tellin me what to do.

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
It's pretty much both,dude!
So,watch out

M

MIKELABZ

i would imagine that they image you accordingly to the style of rap u possess.

L-Rock

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear J-Malice:

Your statement:

"cuz man im plannin on gettin big wit dis shit but im tryna do my own thing. im not tryna have ppl tellin me what to do."

does not make sense from a label's perspective.

If I am a label, and I think you are a promising artist, however, you do not possess a workable attitude that I can capitalise on and lower my probability of failure if I invest in you, then I won't invest in you.

Let me give you a clearer example:

I am at a label, and I get your demo from a friend. She says "check this rapper J-Malice out, he's good."

I listen to it, and I like it, so arrange to see you in action, and arrange with your manager to perform a showcase for me.

I create a strategy with a team of what would occur should I sign you, and what would be the best chances of having a successful record come out. This strategy then depicts the decision making in how your record and your image as an artist will concur with that strategy.

So, if you have an attitude where we offer to market you a certain way, with a higher probability of selling more units as image "x," than your wanted image (the one you desire) which we will call "y," then there will be a direct problem and issue in the way the record company will approach you and your management.

Should you not wish to accept our terms, we would either look for similar artists willing to work with us, or simply coerce and use our leverage against you or your management for you to do our bidding whether you like it or not. Money would talk in that case.

Usually, such an issue happens after an artist gets signed and then wants to flex their muscle. With a quick scare that they (the artist) will be dropped is usually the fix-all for that.

Yes, image stylists are used, they are expensive and they are used for a reason. Furthermore, discussions with video directors on the projection of your style and image on television also is a factor. These decisions are made on the type of music you will do. The creative dept. that does in-house album art (if the art is done in house) usually sets the tone.

Another approach is to hire an advertising agency and actually have them create your image that would most appeal to our target demographic. This is usually tricky because a package deal would have tol be accepted by the agency of having a couple artists on their account, and that costs the label money. But stylists and image consultants are constantly used regardless.

You must remember, as an artist, you are essentially a product that needs to be sold and create a return on investment for the label. That's something that you should think about. Labels will usually do what I said, at least smart ones.

Sincerely,
God

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
aight coo god thanx for that input. what if im startin an idependent label? and if i sign my label to a larger one? im thinkin that the independent label is the best way to go (well thats wut im doin either way) as far as being able to do your own thing. but gettin signed or signin with a larger label would be better for the finances. but my plans are to get my money from sellin beats, albums, and shows. do you think this is a good strategy???

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
J-Malice:

The problem I see with starting an independent label is that EVERYBODY (it seems like it) has their own record label in the US and Europe. Competition is great now, with many people now believing they can get a piece of the pie.

The advent of digital recording has made it easy for "startups" to come out of the mainstream populace. but:

Honestly, it's better for an artist to go to a major, or just invest in him/herself rather than sign to an independent label that does not have enough financial backing to make the artist a viable return on investment.

If you have a lot of money to support your own product, have the necessary connections, etc., then go for it. If not, reassess the situation and make sure you have an effective business strategy before jumping into the mix.

It's hard enough for a major to make a profit, some independents do, it just depends how you define "independent" as and what form of distribution and business method you utilise to make an income.

X

xkwest

God speaks.....wow!...
that image post you made, makes perfect sense...
look at fabolous....grimey to soft... label changed up his image so he can sell more records....

cassidy... on that "come to my hotel video" with rkelly... doesn't cassidy look out of place in that video... cat looks emotionless and lifeless like he's not comfortable doing that video....

destiny's child...specfically beyonce... increased sex appeal to sell more records....

so its obvious that labels put pressure on arists to adjust or many times flip their image to appeal to the masses.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
agreed the label does have the upper hand...record sale = $$$ and if they believe they can increase your sale by change a few things....they will...becuz they have to make their money in order to pay you....

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
So,like I said,it's ''Pretty Much Both''.

members online