R.I.P. Roc Raida

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
http://www.sohh.com/2009/09/breaking_busta_rhymes_ann.html

Roc Raida Dead: Turntablism Innovator And Deejay Icon Died At 37

X-Ecutioner member and Busta Rhymes' personal deejay, Anthony "DJ Roc Raida" Williams, has reportedly passed today (September 19).

Busta announced the unexpected news via his Twitter account Saturday afternoon

"I am sorry 2 say that on this day at 2:05 Sept 19th we lost another incredible life...Dj Roc Raida died 2day my personal Dj is gone... I just wanna thank everyone 4 ur love and support and ur prayers...We will never let ur name die Roc...We love u and will 4ever miss u...RIP." (Busta Rhymes' Twitter)

This was later followed by a stream of Twitter "R.I.P.'s" from RZA, DJ Drama, N.O.R.E., Big Pooh, Talib Kweli and Kid Capri.

"yesterday i shouted out dj's across the world, dj am and dj jam master jay, today i say rest in peace to a close friend dj roc raider!!!!," Capri wrote. "dj roc raider was a real beast at his talent, and a very humble soldier, i will miss the homie, im deeply sadden, god bless his soul." (Kid Capri's Twitter)

A statement regarding his passing was released Saturday afternoon.

"Anthony Williams p/k to the world as The Legendary Grand Master Roc Raida has passed away unexpectedly today Sept 19 2009. He is survived by his wife, 3 lovely daughters, mother and friends. Raida was recently in an mixed martial arts accident, something that he has been practicing for several years. Although he had under gone 2 surgeries with great success, was released to an inpatient physical therapy facility and was in great spirits the past few days. This morning he started to have complications and passed. The family asks for privacy at this time." (Nah Right)

Raida was reportedly checked into a hospital earlier this month after becoming the victim of a car accident.

While details could not be confirmed, it was reported that Roc Raida suffered injuries to his spine during the accident. "Anthony Williams p/k/a GM Roc Raida is in the hospital,' Roc Raida's family confirmed in a statement. 'His family thanks all of his fans for the well wishes and prayers. At this time please allow him and his family privacy to deal with the matter. The rumors and chatter is not accurate and we will release something more in detail at a later time. Thank you on behalf of the family and close friends.' (All Hip Hop)

He also helped create hit records for some of hip-hop biggest names.

Raida has produced records for artists, such as Big L, Fat Joe, Ghostface Killah, Jungle Brothers and Linkin Park, to name a few and has dropped scratches for artist's like O.C.'s classic 'Time's Up' to pop sensation Pink's new album I'm Not Dead. (British Hip Hop)

Raida's career within the music industry dates back nearly two decades as a member of the X-Ecutioners and award-winning deejay.

Roc Raida started DJing hip-hop at the age of ten with his father's help. From there he's gone on to found one of the most prolific turntablist crews the world has yet to see, with partners Mista Sinista, Rob Swift and Total Eclipse. Collecting championship titles and awards across the world, he's brought an art form back that may well have been slowly motioned to obscurity, creating excitement by injecting pure passion into his mixes. (All Music)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Fuck, he was my hero when I was growing up and learning how to DJ.... that's terrible news.... RIP.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
RIP

i loved the dude - sinista, eclipse, and swift were all cool - but roc had heart

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
WTF?!!?!? R.I.P. Roc Raida. He was one of my favorite DJ's, to this day I still watch his routines regularly.

So was it an MMA or car accident??

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word...a big part of the hip-hop movement...RIP.

I still watch his videos as well, always wanted to be as good as him.....

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
R.I.P. - Great DJ. He will be missed in the Hip Hop community. Damn...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I actually got to meet RR at one of the DMC Championships. Real good peeps at first glance. I remember early in his Djing career, he was competing against qbert, honda and a few other big names in DMC and eventhough those other cats were BEAST, I said to myself that RR is gonna be a force to contend with. He was very inovated on the wheels and he invented alot of the same scratches we still hear today.

dac