question regarding sound

Kaleidon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hi, I have a crappy set of headphones that cancel's out certain frequencies when i listen to it with the 1/8 jack half way stuck in. It cancels out the drums so all i can hear is the melody.

I've been trying to recreate this affect when sampling certain songs in which I only want the melody or drum part but it doesn't always work the way i want it to.

Is there software or a plugin that could do this? Is there an EQ technique or hipass low pass filter that could do this?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I don't know what DAW you're using but if it's FL Studio, you're in luck. If not, applying this technique will do a decent job for you. It won't be perfect but with a little tweaking, it will help you get that effect.

Check this thread... https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27297

You just need an analyzer and a good multi channel EQ.

SafeandSound

ill o.g.
Hi there it seems to me that the headphones are somehow flipping the phase of the L or R channel cancelling the "mono" drums and allowing some "difference information through.

You would have to create 2 mono busses on your DAW output (panned L ad R and phase flip on channel. It might give a similar effect.

cheers

SafeandSound
online mastering

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hi, I have a crappy set of headphones that cancel's out certain frequencies when i listen to it with the 1/8 jack half way stuck in. It cancels out the drums so all i can hear is the melody.

I've been trying to recreate this affect when sampling certain songs in which I only want the melody or drum part but it doesn't always work the way i want it to.

Is there software or a plugin that could do this? Is there an EQ technique or hipass low pass filter that could do this?

yes , there are auto panning plugins, however your going to have to record this thing breaking everything down to its individual tracks that you can solo.. THEN yes there are ways to do all this, but NO there isnt just one plugin thats going to emulate your crappy headphones lol no offense.
It will take you making it happen through lotta work or you emailing izotope and waiting till they develop that!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Just mic up those headphones and get the real deal!

You could get a decent pair of Sony headphones for a song.....

Then when your budget permits, monitors....Or..if you're like me....and don't have the right room treatment, some dope ass headphones......like my Sony MDR V900HD.

members online