Question on definitions

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I was never really sure what the difference between a programmer, engineer, producer and executive producer were because for years I was covered all the roles in my little studio, I'm sure that a lot of us here do the same.

But after doing some reading about the industry and watching VH1's Behind the Music, it would seem that the roles are:

Programmer-the guy who sits in front of the sequencer, samplers, synths making the sounds. This would be everyone here in this forum because it seems that everyone here is interested in playing with gear.

Engineer-the guy who understands the science of audio and does a lot of the grunt work in a studio like tracking, bouncing, micing, etc. I don't think many people here are engineers unless some of you have gone to recording school or are into wave physics.

Producer-the fat guy who drives around in a big car, takes the credit for all the work that the programmer and engineer do, and then gets shot by some local thugs. If any of you fit into this role, lose some weight and get yourself a kevlar jacket for x-mas.

Executive producer-the white guy who fronts all the money and pays the programmer and engineer to make the records, hires the producer to generate some hype and mystique around the project, and pays some local thugs to shoot him just when sales start to drop. If any of the people here are white and rich, let me give you my number and we'll talk....

Nick

P

Prophet

I was in situation with thug people as you say when I made a record for a rapper in Marseille.

They pretend to do thing to make you feel scare but do not want to go to prison. I was in all different position like you say above.

When you deal with major record company, what they want is profit. All people you see on TV like Irv Gotti or Jay-Z are not going to be here very long because style of rap comes and goes in waves. But they are being used by Lyor Cohen from Def Jam (the white person) to make money for Def Jam. Def Jam even open labels in Deutschland and other European countries.

Take advantage of stupidity of rapper because they think they are centre of world and make money off the rapper. The rapper will always not use money in good ways and will be bankrupt. Even if the rapper is not good, with good marketing he will be sold.

Programmer seems more to be in electronica bands. In hip hop, the "producer" is a person that wears many different hats.

I saw VH1 Behind the Music, but never saw what you say though. Where did you see white person tell someone to shoot producer? You generalise.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

The whole post was a joke, really. I just wanted to find out what people here considered a producer to be because it seems that it is such a general term that people use to pump themselves up for the ladies ("...yo, I'm a PRODUCER, wanna party?..."). I myself sometimes tell people I 'produce' techno records, but when I look and read about other producers, I don't consider myself to be anything like them, I think of myself as a programmer.

Nick

P

Prophet

I know what you say, good executive producer is one that will take risk to help everybody in making of record out and make something good happen to make money and everyone get paid. Also executive producer deal with bullshit for business and scream at people. If they have big ego and bad, they will put their name on back of record in big writing, like Master P. If they not bad, they will put it in small words in liner notes. If executive producer understand what everybody does it is ok. But people that say "producer" to get girls will not succeed. That is your generalisation, in rap usually one person program beats and record or take samples of song to make beat. They are a "producer." You "produce" music. When you have a lot of money, then you can say that to get girls, because it does! Just kidding. The ones who take risk in business to make it will. I dealed with much stupidity to live off my music, it is tough but worth it..

Do you record rap now vitaminman?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Yes, and it is the BIGGEST headache. We're dealing with these guys who haven't finished high school, have something like 5 children (all with different mothers), they've been to prison for aggrivated assault or theft, we have to pick them up and take them home from recording sessions because their driving permits have been revoked, they show up drunk or stoned and have no concept of rythm or timing...

They think we're just a bunch of rich people with a huge label behind us, they threaten to 'fuck us up' after some asshole promoter/manager in a bar starts telling them that we should be giving them $10,000 advances and huge royalty checks. I'll lay some of the blame of this on my partner; he makes a point to get everything in writing with LONG contracts which could give the impression that we have lawyers and all that.

Damn, I like recording bands and college kids with acoustic guitars because they're just happy to hear themselves on CD...the rappers all want money as soon as they've said two words into the mic.

Any nightmare stories?

Nick

P

Prophet

Yes major recording company is like a bank that gives big loans with big interest rate. Producing for major company is good,because you get paid up front while the artist does not. If you become producer on major record company list of producers, you will make a lot of money.

Yes rappers are idiots who think they are centre of universe. But contracts with these idiots are good, because you cover all aspect of production. That is best way for protection of music rights for you. You sound like you are small and must protect yourself legal.

Techno music for radio is best because you hire singer and make song. Then you sell it to company and get royalty.

B

Briellz

very true!

They give you a big ass advancment check.....then they get all that shit back when your album drops. Why do you think artist tour sooo much? You gotta constantly promote yourself!

Once the label gets all there money back....then you get paid!:booty:

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Or else the label's major source of investment gets nailed by the DA for internet fraud and tax evasion, so they pack up shop and move to England, where they get screwed by another label in a partnership, then move to Miami and run their shop out of someone's house, leaving a trail of unpaid royalty and license checks in their wake...

Nick

B

Briellz

The music biz is shady though bro! I'll tell you that much. You just got to be careful! :headbang:

P

Prophet

vitaminman seem like you were :fuckyou: by the record company! Did that happen to you? Be tough to stay in business like this, you need iron fist.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

A little bit screwed, yes, but the label got screwed the most out of anyone because their investors were sent to jail and the label were left with all these bills!

They only owe me something like $1000, but there are other artists who had way more success than me who were owed much more than that...I'm just glad to have had a little exposure, some releases in the shops and I got to hear my tracks played out in a club, that's worth more than $1000. They did pay me some money for earlier stuff, so I didn't get COMPLETELY screwed.

I NEVER want to make a career out of music, it's too damn risky, so many people try to screw you, and it isn't secure unless you've locked in some stupidly wealthy deal Even then nothing's certain. At least if it's a hobby, you can still enjoy it when you come home from your lame job.

Surely there are others here who got screwed out of a lot more money than $1000, maybe you have a story, Prophet?

Nick