question about the matrix in reason.....

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
hey does anyone here use the matrix module in reason? If so wat for? i can see its applications in techno or electronic joints but how could u use it on a hip hop beat? anyone got any tips? ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
DJDRAGN9 said:
hey does anyone here use the matrix module in reason? If so wat for? i can see its applications in techno or electronic joints but how could u use it on a hip hop beat? anyone got any tips? ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

i usually use a keyboard for my melodies but it is possible to do hip hop melodies on those things but its long and tedious. one thing i use them for is to trigger long samples on the nnxt. just turn the scale knob down so it lasts as long as the sample and then have it play whatever note your sample is on in the sampler. just tie all the gates together except the last one and copy and paste that badboy as many times as you need that sample triggered. also if you want the sample to stutter before it plays out completely, set up a pattern like the one above but dont tie the gates, and turn the scale knob up--that adds a nice effect every now and then.

hope this helps

peace

B

bullyfoot

DJDRAGN9 said:

Yo the matrix is crazy dog.! I just began to fuck with it. You can most definitely use it for hiphop. If you feel that its too fast and only for techno, change the settings ti like 1/8 or 1/4 and just use different sounds, you could really do alot. Try it. and hit me back with your results.GOOD LUCK.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I use it for bends and effects. Sometime's I make 1 Matrix device and hook it up to CV splitters. After I hit a point in a beat where I can't think of anything else or it starts going in a dirrection I don't like, I plug one of the CV Gate Out's of the Matric into different ports on the back of a device just to see what the outcome is. I use just one matrix so all the devices I plug it into get the same signal pattern.

If you look at the back of a lot of devices, they have knobs that cantrol the degree of modification the matrix will have on it. So sometimes if I have a bassline, I'll hook the matrix up to it and turn the knob down a little to give the bassline a slight bounce or something.

I remixed that Jin "Speak Chinese" and that Roots "Don't Say Nothing" with beats in Reason using Matrix devices.

I'll post the published reason files to propellehead's site on Friday the 11th if you wanna see how.

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Unless I am missing something, it is the only thing in reason you can't control with midi. I could see some use to the thing if you could use a keyboard to play the notes and have it play back the loop. As far as I know you have to click each note and, it just seems pretty worthless since you can do the same thing with more accuracy and non-computer sounding results in the Tracking section. I guess I could see it being used as an effects controler, but you don't hear many sweeps in a hip-hop track.

DJ Increment

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo whats up boys....&....girls.man i really like the matrix device... if ya ant got a keyboard then your in???another great tip is controlling the kik drum??if you were to have your snre/hihats/cmbls....on the redrum but the kik say in the second window of a nn19 connected to a matrix...eg..notes up or down ..swing..& dont forget the random select/alter buttons!!!real tight sounding ....tweaking the kik on nn19 may come in handy too!!!!!

E

Equality 7-2521

i agreewith Steez.

matrix is wack. cant even write in chords on it.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I have had Reason 1-2-3, never used it, don't even know how it works, don't even want to know how it work, and my gut feeling tells me that it will NOT have any effect on my production, so.....the HELL with it!

members online