Question About The Basics Of Sampling?????

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I Suck At Sampling....i Try Every Time And I End Up Making A Beat Were The Tempo Is At 120's And It Sounds Like A Fuckinf Dance Beat.....................

Where Do You Start When U Make A Samples Beat...........do U Start With The Drums As A Whole.....or Do U Just Start With A Kick, Or A Snare...etc......

Or Do U Start With The Sample Loop And Then Work Your Drums In From There?????

Some Help Pleaz.........cause I Dunno Were To Start.........and Gimmie A Step By Step Way Of Doing It Cause I Suck.............i Got A Good Ear, But My Style Has Been Beats From Scratch Using A Keyboard..........i'm Trying Sampling But I Blow Worse Then A Bitch With Buck Teeth N Braces!

dialogic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
this isnt an expert opinion, but... u know it depends. I look for some hot shit that's kind of obscure or just a note or 2 on a song and, if i find that, i go from there. But other times, I got this hot idea for a drumtrack and fit a sample later. I guess most often i put down a basic drumtrack, fit a sample to that, and flush it out as a whole.

I usually get somethin whack at first when I start flippin a sample, somehow it just turns out hott after i keep fuckin with it, just try and try again.

One thing about the tempo though, I use acid and instead of counting by the standard 4 (I dont know what to call the markers they have or whatever) but esp on the drumtrack, i count by 5's to bring it down around 96 w/out stretching my samples too far. Ion know if that makes any sense but...

incogneeto said:
I Suck At Sampling....i Try Every Time And I End Up Making A Beat Were The Tempo Is At 120's And It Sounds Like A Fuckinf Dance Beat.....................

Where Do You Start When U Make A Samples Beat...........do U Start With The Drums As A Whole.....or Do U Just Start With A Kick, Or A Snare...etc......

Or Do U Start With The Sample Loop And Then Work Your Drums In From There?????

Some Help Pleaz.........cause I Dunno Were To Start.........and Gimmie A Step By Step Way Of Doing It Cause I Suck.............i Got A Good Ear, But My Style Has Been Beats From Scratch Using A Keyboard..........i'm Trying Sampling But I Blow Worse Then A Bitch With Buck Teeth N Braces!

E

esentric

I sample my groove or melody first. Then chop or arrange. Next, I find the drums I want to use. Last, I create a bassline. If you are using ACID drop your tempo to about 90 bpm's (u can speed up or slow down later)

E

esentric

dialogic said:
this isnt an expert opinion, but... u know it depends. I look for some hot shit that's kind of obscure or just a note or 2 on a song and, if i find that, i go from there. But other times, I got this hot idea for a drumtrack and fit a sample later. I guess most often i put down a basic drumtrack, fit a sample to that, and flush it out as a whole.

I usually get somethin whack at first when I start flippin a sample, somehow it just turns out hott after i keep fuckin with it, just try and try again.

One thing about the tempo though, I use acid and instead of counting by the standard 4 (I dont know what to call the markers they have or whatever) but esp on the drumtrack, i count by 5's to bring it down around 96 w/out stretching my samples too far. Ion know if that makes any sense but...

I feel what you are saying

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Thers no real way to sample, you could sample one thing and different people would flip it different ways. But anyway this is what I usually do, I find a sample I want to use like a 2 bar melody for example, then I cut it up in recyle at the start of each distinct sound like each piano note or something. Then I load up the rex file into nn19 and then mess around with it until I find something I like.

Or . . .

I record the 2 bar sample for example and then load it into nn19 and play it into the sequencer then i change the tempo until it is a perfect loop with no gaps, then I program the drums to the sample.

Peace

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my first step is usually to let the samples dig for me and not the other way around. if you're just listening for breaks, it might help to just sit back and bump some shit you enjoy and smoke a blunt - something might grab your ear. im always listening to records, and sometimes a part of a song will grab my attention and i'll know right away how i want to flip it. i dont really give a f*** about samples most of the time, im just listening to some old funk & soul shit because that's what im into. im sure my process would be different if i had an obligation to make a certain number of beats per week, but i dont, so i just flip shit when i get the inspiration.

then i arrange the sample(s). there's really no magic here. it might depend on what style of beat you're making, but i usually know off top. im not into spending hours chopping millisecond samples up because my ears get tired and i get frustrated.

i program the drums after that. i like boom-bap battlecat style drums with some tamborines thrown in for good measure. simple & bangin.

then i go back and tweak a little bit, add some reverb to the drums, and mix it all down.

then i come back to it a few hours later and it sounds like shit. :) rinse and repeat.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
My way:

1. Find sample.
2. Cut it to a nice 2 or 4 bar length.
3. Lay down a kick and snare.
4. Mess around with the sample until it fits and flows nicely.
5. Add percussion.
6. Add bassline.
7. Add in sounds such as strings, synths etc..

sAfE.

beatzbybuddy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree with Rhythmikal, you need to find the sample 1st. Then play your drums off the sample. Rem, you dont need to have a whole song for a sample. Find the 2 to 4 bar sample and loop it. I use the MPC 2000xl so I go to trim mode, fit the sample , load it into the pads. Once I do that, I hit the "16 levels" button on the MPC and play the sample slow or faster.. Once you get the sound you want play it and just adjust your tempo to make it loop. Now that you have that, use your mind with drums and play off the sample. Thats how I learned.

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1)I find a loop and cut it out using cool edit pro
2) Chop it up in acid and arrange it so it sounds the way I like ( 90 bpm)
3) Then add snares
4)Then add kicks
5) then bassline, coz I llike the kicks and the bass to go together if youKnowwhatImean.
6) Then Hats and any other percussion.
7) then I might add other samples that go with the beat , Trumpet stabs etc

I've never added extra sounds like strings or synths but I'll try it out Rythmikal.
I read an interview where RJD2 said that he messes with the sample first and adds the drums later. I agree with him.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I get a lot of samples when I'm just listinging. I try to go for 10 records and try to get about 20 good samples. After that I loop then in cool edit, and chop them in recycle. If I'm using reason on the MPC, I play the snare on the 2 and 4 and play with the samples. If I'm using REason, I might play a sample with dr.rex and grab another one that I chopped. I filter and use horns and pianos. After that I bring in some basic hats and kicks. That gets a 4-8 bar arrangement. Then I play with the drums and make a song.

M

MIKELABZ

1.sample First
2.trim Process
3.slice Process Or Strech Process

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Personally i'll search through records first til i find something dope i never go in with any conceptions of what im looking for unless someone has said yo i want a track that sounds like this or has this sorta mood ! Once ive found something then record it get it in cool edit chop it up make something fresh with it chuck it in the sequencer add the drums and bass and woteva else ! I cant see how having drums first works imo just because when you play your sample you i persoanlly hear then how i want the drums to sound to fit the sample if you make you're drums before hand imo opinion they can never fit aswell !

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Incog....Im not sure if anybody answered it yet? - But, if u jus toy with the tempo if the track, something as simple as that can greatly change the outcome of your beat. Dont always jus make a 120bpm beat cuz thats the default.....If you slow that shit down to like 92 or 88 yer gonna have a nice even rhyme-spitting tempo. That will also invite more room for yer samples.

STEEZ

C

Carpe Diem

Well find out the tempo of ya sample first off... Theres beat counters online, dunno where, just search on google... U gotta click everytime theres a beat...

Then, say you find ya sample is 120BPM, slow it down to 90 BPM using a Wave Editor such as Sound Forge (The Time Stretch Option)... Then arrange it in ya beat....

Sorry if this sounds rushes, i got a lecture in lik 5 seconds!!!

Peace...

Carpe

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What I do...is find a sample that I like.....record it on cool edit or protools.....chop it in cool edit using the multitrack mixer.

I see people adjust the tempo on acid or soundforge...

I use fruityloops...I either just speed it up or slow it down on the piano roll...Once i get the right speed/pitch......I put it for 8 bars @ whatever tempo fits into the 8 bars......i also put hats in every 8th step to see if the sample is on beat....once i get the tempo/hats correctly..i throw in my drums..bassline...strings...etc......I don't have a set tempo to my beats...whatever i feel sounds right....i go from there......I also EQ my samples...for overall sound or...if the sample has a dope bassline in it....bring up the bass or take it off.....

Def EQ the samples...they sound so much tighter w/the right EQ'ing......

Hope this helps.....

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If ur starting to use samples then it may be easier to start off using loops off records rather then trying to do the most lil chops.

as u get better at finding loops on records then u will progress into different ways of chopping.

but i think the key is dont force shit and dont chop for the sake of chopping.

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
If ur starting to use samples then it may be easier to start off using loops off records rather then trying to do the most lil chops.

as u get better at finding loops on records then u will progress into different ways of chopping.

but i think the key is dont force shit and dont chop for the sake of chopping.

That is exactly how i started, just finding loops. Then later I chopped the loops up so I could change the melody. Now I'm at a point where I hear a stab there and a hit there and I know how to use them to make a beat.

But dont chop for the sake of chopping. finding and using good loops is an is art, just listen to Madlibs stuff.