quantization in Reason

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just wondering if any of you fellow Reason users set ur quantization to "User" like me. I know standard quantization for hip hop is 4/4 but in reason when I set that the beats sound real mechanical. It seems when I set it to user it has a nice natural swing to it but still is in time with the tempo.

Oh and I usualy set the grid to 1/8 or 1/16 depending on the beat.

What settings do yall use?

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
i just use it to bar and then when im done i quantize it to 1/16th so it can match up with my drums.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Phantom, i think i kno what u mean, but in yer question i think you mixed up what a time signature or meter is vs. a actual resolution that u can work in (hence, what are tha notes that are being played? - 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes. etc.).

Tha signature is a time stamp so to speak of how many beats there is per bar and how many bars.
So, if yer shit says - 4/4; that means that yer working on a time signature of 4 beats per measure of 4 bars.

But tha way it sounds, i think u mean to say; What 'resolution' do others here use if im not mistaken?

I used to use 1/16 for a long as time, then i tried 1/8 triplets for a good while also, and now i mostly stick to 1/8 notes but then i like to vary other resolutions into tha pattern later.

The only time i use tha USER setting to quantize is if i say; write my bassline through my midi and then i want to keep that same timing and feel of tha bass line so ill Highlite all tha notes in my bass line, select "Get user Groove" and then later when i have programed another part of my song that may have not been initially done in tha same groove as tha bass line, ill Highlite all tha new notes in that part and then quantize that shit to my new user groove.

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
DueceMade Ent. said:
The only time i use tha USER setting to quantize is if i say; write my bassline through my midi and then i want to keep that same timing and feel of tha bass line so ill Highlite all tha notes in my bass line, select "Get user Groove" and then later when i have programed another part of my song that may have not been initially done in tha same groove as tha bass line, ill Highlite all tha new notes in that part and then quantize that shit to my new user groove.
yo thats pretty cool, I didn't even know you could do that with reason. Ill have to try that out. I guess I should prolly dive into the manual to find out what else I've been missin.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Phantom, i think i kno what u mean, but in yer question i think you mixed up what a time signature or meter is vs. a actual resolution that u can work in (hence, what are tha notes that are being played? - 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes. etc.).

Tha signature is a time stamp so to speak of how many beats there is per bar and how many bars.
So, if yer shit says - 4/4; that means that yer working on a time signature of 4 beats per measure of 4 bars.

But tha way it sounds, i think u mean to say; What 'resolution' do others here use if im not mistaken?

I used to use 1/16 for a long as time, then i tried 1/8 triplets for a good while also, and now i mostly stick to 1/8 notes but then i like to vary other resolutions into tha pattern later.

Yeah I know what a time signature is and dat 4/4 means 4 beats per measure. But your right I think I did ask the question wrong. Ever since I been using reason I always set the signature to "user" not realizing what it means. I always thought it "learned" the grove you were bangin the beat out in. Then keepin dat groove but some how quantizin it. Idk sounds stupid but dats how its worked for me. I don't rember settin a user groove b4 so I don't know what groove its quantizin in but its seemin to work for me. Ima try out how you described to use it. Good lookin.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Right on, i wasnt tryin to down yer instight on reason either dog jus for tha record...i was jus tryin to clarify....Also, are u concerned about this cuz u midi - in yer hits and keys to tha prgm?...This would really be tha only reason to worry about yer initial question.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i jus press that shuffle button and trun the dial ... the only thing that sucks is that the shuffle amount is the same for all the tracks so if you want quick kicks and mechinicaal hats u gotta export them seperately .. does anyone else use that shuffle shit??

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Right on, i wasnt tryin to down yer instight on reason either dog jus for tha record...i was jus tryin to clarify....Also, are u concerned about this cuz u midi - in yer hits and keys to tha prgm?...This would really be tha only reason to worry about yer initial question.

Iknow you wasn't. Its all good. You helped me understand what "user" is realy for. By @kmidi in" do you mean program my beats with a midi controler if so yeah I do. I use the korgmicroKontrol so I be bangin on the pads. Can't use the redrum the other way. Reminds me of fruity loops too much. Lol (no offense to FL users) ..... But nah im not worryed or concerned cause as I said my beats as far as quantization have been comin out the way I want em so the way I had it set was workin fine. I think my initial question should have been "Generaly what seetings do you fellow reason users use" just tryna get insite in how others use the program cause as you know there's amillion ways you can go @ it ... Like I just discovered (which some you probably know bout) that you can use the vocoder as a up to 32 band eq ......

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I dont use any of it.. O just Open Reason Load my Custom Drum kits instruments via nnxt (yea)
Record and and play my shit out that my i get my own Feel to it..I like to make my Drums sound like they was Real Played out rather than grided ya know.. thats just me though..

Now if i fuck up on a Hit i'll continue.. the go back capture my user quantize and apply it to the Fucked up note.. thats bout it