putting samples together

LMNO

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Any general tips on putting samples together? I've been sampling a lot of records lately. Also been downloading and getting sample cds. I can't seem to put what I have together. I made maybe one or two decent beats and they are lacking basslines.

At the moment I like making mysterious, errie sounds. I'm wondering what you all did when you first started sampling. Did you collect a ridiculous amount of samples before you made anything?

thanks.

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I started out by getting sounds. Mostly drums because this is what will gets the head nodding. Mostly just take your time and find the sound that you hear in your head. It may take a while up if you look hard enough you can find any sound you want.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I would just listen to old tracks... Listen to old music and how its put together, it will give you good idea's for drum patterns and sample placement... It's a good way to develop skill, but mostly i would just dig and dig until i find somethin that just stands out.... You'll know what i mean, u will be searching and something will click like WHOA!!!! This shit is gunna be dope! That's what happens for me... And i know alot of people that feel the same about it... It's all about Searchin for the perfect sounds.. Im sure you know how you want something to sound, just go along the lines of that... Whether its a concept you have in mind or a whole beat... Take that and work with it... Oh yea, and dont froce music out of yourself... Make sure your feelin the vibe before, otherwise you can make some garbage ass shit...

E

Equality 7-2521

ive only got like 20 samples of the basic instruments.

i recommend getting a feel for all your samples if you dont have too many and thinking about which ones would go together well. get a feel for what compliments what and what matches up with what. in the name of your sounds you could include a code which says whether they are soft or hard or dark or light sounds ya dig. just get a feel for whats available and what you could do with it.

try playing a sample and then going through your library of sounds and playing other samples over the top of the first one to see if they match up. ofcourse they wont be on time and the notes wont be melodious but it will give you a good enough idea of whether a certain sample will work with another sample.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
just keep playing around with wot you have and keep adding new ones ! eventually you will get it ! at first i woz like wots up with this program man acting like it woznt my fault lol but just keep trying and you get the hang of it eventually !

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
just keep playing around with wot you have and keep adding new ones ! eventually you will get it ! at first i woz like wots up with this program man acting like it woznt my fault lol but just keep trying and you get the hang of it eventually !
I second that, there are no rules and trial and error will give you the insight you need.