Protools/logic/mac

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i have been to a couple of pro studios and noticed that these seem to be the industry standard ... whenever i tell someone i use reason/fl the response is always "thats a good starting point, learn them then 'upgrade' to PT/Logic" is there any particular reason music/video studios prefer mac over pc ?? honestly i have not seen one with a pc ..

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
For YEARS Pro tools sucked on PC and was just not a viable option. Also PC's sucked in general for audio so most studios went the mac route and never looked back. I have no issues with PC's per se but I would say that macs are still built a bit better for audio/video.

Second Pro tools is a more appropriate tool for a recording studio that works on many different projects in a day, Records live music, mixing film scores, ETC (I would never record a band with FL for example) If you want to work in the music industry especially in a studio you sure as hell better know both macs and Pro tools (and Logic to a much lesser degree.)

As far as video goes there is a major shift to Final Cut and that of course is mac only. Apple builds so many technologies in to there computers that are for content creators.

Now as far as FL/Reason goes they are more songwriting tools, Reason is widely used in top 40 music and I have never seen anyone look down on it. FL has a little bit of a unjustified reputation as being a toy but is a fantastic tool non the less.

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
makes sense now .. but how does Cubase compare to pt??

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
All the DAW's do a great job and are fairly unlimited from a power perspective.

Cubase is not used much in recording studios so it won't help you get a job, but I think both Cubase and Nuendo and very cool programs so if you just make music for yourself or send stems to be mixed elsewhere it doesn't really matter what you use. If you want to go work in a recording studio learn Pro tools PERIOD.

But if you are creating great beats in FL or Cubase or whatever and it connects with your brain then you should just keep using the same program. Once you are productive in something it is really hard to change and keep that momentum going. It just depends on what your goals are really.

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've been using reason since the second version. I'm pretty thorough with it now. But i'll be switching to logic because i'm actually 'PRODUCING' records now and not just making beats. It's a choice I HAVE to make.

But I can rewire reason w/ logic so, everything should be all good with the switch!

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I love Logic, but since Propellerheads Record came out I mix most of my own stuff in that. So I don't fire up Logic all that often these days. If you are a hard core Reason user take a look at Record. Then you wont need to use Rewire or anything, its a fantastic solution.