Project 2 - looking for some input (Hot/Not)

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
So...hmmm. Ok, heres my takeaway

So, its cool man. I may be a bit biased because its not really my style - however, because of the fact, I feel I may be able to provide a little bit more of objective criticism. At the end of the day, its cool shit man! Its solid. Its cool. For me personally, thats about it. There isnt much replay factor for me.

A few things stand out to me - first and foremost it sounds like your vocals are sitting "on top" of the beat. For the type of style that youre coming with, its a bit a distracting. Also, I feel that there could be a bit more done with processing your vocals. A little bit more variation, perhaps some deliberate punch ins at certain points, some adlibs with a bit of delay, your vocals with a bit of reverb etc... Some processing that follows the tone/feel of the song is needed. Dumb Out would be the closest to what I mean (with the chorus).
Fly Shit Only and Represent Me are the only ones that kinda mix well for me - but I would still add some processing on those vocals and adlibs.

Content of lyrics is w/e for me. To each their own. Heard it all before in about the same way and it doesnt really stick out or hit me on any personal level. And dont get me wrong - doesnt mean somebody else wouldnt dig it. Beats are cool. Not bad, they just dont really hit for me personally. I can see them translating nice across different mediums, but there is a lack of depth for me.

Overall, its a solid project mang. I cant really say too much about it; to each their own. There is just no hook to reel me in with, and sounds a bit rehashed. But a solid project and it sounds clean. Keep moving forward.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
I think Mike Chief basically hit the nail on the head here vocals seems the same all the time, ad libs are a must, Fly Shit only, Passing Me By and Playa are the best beats imo but lack substance in the lyrics compared to the beats. The rest are all club stuff i think so lyrics not so important but the sounds needs to be more unique to stand out, it all sounds a bit preset. Definately heading the right direction though and you could still throw in an autotune beat here and there for the kids, other than that i agree with every word above.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
@Kane the MOD Big Boi is a huge compliment!... I'm blushing : ) what could I work on to improve the beats or raps? I'm trying to get nice wit it
Not sure if I can give you valuable feedback. I try nevertheless...

I think the production is rock solid and versatile even though some instruments get used on a few tracks.

You are riding the ATL Player/Baller wave which is cool but also not very unique.

Keep putting in the work and try to find your own lane.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Benjamin Earl Turner and Coast Contra are the only things i can think of that are new, and i plan to have a look more into J.Cole.

On the new stuff try and come across as real cause i dont think you can pull off street/pimp and not on the level of a lyracist (yet), from this one i dont really get an identity other than white frat boy/rich kid or fake which isnt good. Not trying to offend just being blunt. Put yourself out there think Kanye and colledge dropout,