Professional VS Bedroom Producers !

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^
Well, it was back then but i hope most people now understand that those SuperProducers are basicaly executive producers more than beatcreaters(even though they used to be just beatcreaters) and that none of them ever mixed their own albums, let alone master them. I mean, buying the gear dre uses does not equate or even remotely implies that one can reproduce the end product he produces (which differes from "creates").

The average hiphop producers wants a mpc, sp1200, triton, motif, fantom, spx0x, 808, andromeda or more recent maschine. The average hiphop producer never bothered about what good mixer, interface, nearfields, compressors, pre-amps, the lot, is neccesary to get a proper sound out there. Thus, learning to mix or master a production is mostly not ones aim, just make bangers using instruments big names use (or whatever you think you need to have). Most beatcreators i've met are good at making beats, the samplism part of it or i see how they grow in composing songs.. but about 90% of them use 20% of their equipment because they lack to comprehand the gear's abilities, failing to get the most out of it.

And you know what, its all about RTFM and to delve into the matter to make it yours. The akward part to realise for most of them is that producing hiphop is a very simple process on itself if compaired to, for example, techno or house. Techno/house demands far more knowledge of either instruments and outboard gear, you get confronted with many issues and techniques you'd encounter at a mixing studio or mastering studio. Ofc, even techno producers get their track mastered but there's a majority of them who do this themselves when compared to hiphop beatcreators/producers. That's why often techno producers are nerds, not gun slingin gangsters. Their learningcurve (from noobish to confident releases) involves more about finesse upon mixing then post production.

I'd put money on this, get 2 ambitious people that want to learn how to create music, one does techno and one does hiphop. After 5 years they get one take to mix each others music, techno producer mixes hiphop and vice versa. I think in 75% of the cases, the techno producer can still get more out of the hiphop production while the hiphop producer f's up the techno production. I know its a bald statement, but im just assuming that both producers purchase different gear for obvious reasons (not talking instruments, as in both genres the same instruments are used).

90% of good production comes from the knowledge, the other 10% is what you purchase and for both there is no excuse not to have the right tools. My perspective on both genre's is dated though but thats just my advantage of producing hiphop and techno before there were daws, you had no options, you just had to understand what you purchase so you're pretty damn sure you get most out of it...so off you take a plunge into the deep. These days, aspiring new producers are not limited which actualy makes that learningcurve longer. "i got a mastering class plugins, sure i can master my productions", "lets just take the other plugin compressor, waves is very good" or "limiter on the stereo bus makes your beats sound phatter". The things you discover and the things you don't realise these days are hard to pinpoint because you'd have no clue what you'd be doing since you just tweak till its good (opposed to say... 15 years ago, when you had no easy alternatives). These days noobs blame it on the plugins not being good enough...lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
100% Cosign! Especially the last paragraph...very accurate! The funny thing is...todays producers will tweak the ish out of a song using waves or whatever and think that it was hard work...lol.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
haha this is weird, I've literally just started working on beats again the last couple of days after being on and off for years. I thought I'd come by the site again to see what's up and the first thing I see is one of my old posts from waaaay back! Good to see some of the old heads still posting on here as well!