Production techiques post here

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anyone have any interesting production techiques for drums,bass, or anything or post here.Everyone should do one. This would will could build a nice lil wealth of knowledge to get newbie on the right foot and for other to reference. i will start off

If you have a sample and you don't like the way it sounds put it in reverse i found many cool effects using the reverse effects. also if you have a sample add a lot of reverb and echo and put it in reverve you get a pat or string like sample.

Peace out.

TonyESharp

E

Equality 7-2521

na i fully agree with Tone.....reversing is one of the simplest but phatest techniques to use.

i find fading sounds is a great was to fit sounds together

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
reversing isn't forcing music, it is using an effect to use the full potential of a sample. AKA being creative. some time it is just cool to clear your mind of everything and just go at it on a sample see what you come up with. Sometime you find out some really cool sounds

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Originally posted by ToneEsharp
reversing isn't forcing music, it is using an effect to use the full potential of a sample. AKA being creative. some time it is just cool to clear your mind of everything and just go at it on a sample see what you come up with. Sometime you find out some really cool sounds

i didnt mean reversin a sample is forcin. i was jus givin a production technique, or ratha sumtin dat ive heard from many of these big time artists on interviews, dey always say neva force music , let it come 2 u. i tink dats da gr8est technique of all cuz it always brings out dope material

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
oh ok, yeah that is true about music. i find that happens a lot. Say if got a HOT sample say a piano lick and a sweet sounding bass line individually they sound hot but together not so great so you have to sacricfice one and keep the other for another project. Music is about the big pic no the individual so much. it is like a puzzle with each instrument a piece coming together to form a picture.

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
dont be to technical with eqing ect....

what help gave groups like black moon and mobb deep there signature sound was overlapping of multiple eqranges

and if it dont sound good to you, it isnt good

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
When you're working on your tracks/beats, don't be too technical about cleaning up certain areas, eqing, compressing, etc in the beginning. Come up with the rough draft of the beat first, the hook, then do all the technical stuff and clean up last. When you have those creative juices flowing while making a beat, it can easily go away if your not satisfied with say, a eq or tone of a particular track. It works for me.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Consider every sound you use of having an envelope ( ADSR ), work on those envelopes to alter the dynamic amplitude of a sound, wether it's a sample, an analogue sound or a preset from a rompler.

Record every sound/instrument as loud as possible and keep in mind that compression/limiting/expanding is a subtle factor to accent a sound, not a raping factor. But both can be good yet the first one is the " normal " approach.

Drums, Bass, yep, they're mono, keep em like that. There's the need to keep notice upon how to master for media purpose, i.e. vynil does not handle stereo-enhancers/bass-expanders very well. I know we're not talking mastering here, but it is important during your production hours not to use a lot of these fx. The basic unmastered track should be as dry as possible and as loud as possible, when mastering the full track you add compression, fx etc and balance out the instrument tracks. Than normalize to -0.1 dB or even better, balance out your track without normalising up to -0.1dB.

Gate, gate, gate . . . Drums Drums Drums. Clean up the mess between drumhits, or not, it's a personal preference but it makes a track tight n tidy.

Also, there are recordings n instruments which you don't or absolutly should not compress/expand or limit. This goes for contra basses for example, a good player has practiced for years upon bringing forth the acoustic dynamics of his contra bass. You bet your ass on it that he would not appreciate it if you screw up his work by altering his hard trained skills. But these go for acoustics, you shouldn't worry about the rompler in your triton ( example ).

ALSO!!!!!!!!! Bass is fucking nice, but don't overdo it, you have no idea what it does on a 8 kW PA system. If you exceed a bit your mids disappear in the same fashion, so again, little eq, little compression.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
learning how to Rolloff bass properly and leave enuff air in your mix between 0 and your mix peaks.....especially if you like sub like I do.....the reason why there are formulas for that is because you want to have the track sound exactly the same in a computer speaker system or a 100,000 dollar PA system, car or bookshelf system....that is the difference in a well mastered track...how many times have you been like shidd this track was cranking in my computer...and my headphones but then you go play it at a real studio.....or somewhere else and it's not even close....that's what real audio mastering takes care of, you do have to have good monitors and a couple of reference monitors to get it right......