Production opinions? Lil' Wayne - Lollipop.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Why is this song successful. Is it just because it's Lil' Wayne?

They run his voice through Melodyne or ATR, there is a weak song structure. The only real hook is the riff in the background. Is it the novelty of the ATR being run through Lil Wayne's voice that's doing this?

What am I missing from here? Why did they choose this to be a single off the album. Any of you cats -- please chime in.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i think this song is horrible. I think its only getting spins because its lil wayne. His autotuned vocals sound like crap.. basically cause his voice is so spitty and raspy. (I cant believe cats are RAPPING with autotune now lol enough is enough) with his buzz he could have recorded farts for his lead single and still had a hit. The song actually started off REALLY REALLY slow at least here in ny. which tells me basically it was forcefed down our throats until lil girls start to remember the chorus. i think its a real weak song. even for a female club joint. but who am I to say whats hot and what isnt?

on a side note the gunit songs ive been hearing on the radio are even worse. I guess thats what they sound like withouty dre's guidance (ewww) Yayo needs to get a rope and a bucket and do us all a favor.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I honestly cant wait for this auto tune shit to be over with. The song fits with the general sound in HipPop right now so I guess they chose it because it's safe.

You know what this is, it is a Big Mac with fries! The ingredients are shit, but people will consume it in the masses! The labels know this. They are creating the equivalent of fast food, but in music.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
With the structure of the beat, I don't see the difference between a song like this and say Hurricane Chris or Soljah Boi. Production and Lyric wise it is all just very repetitive which seems to be the formula for most of these types of radio songs.

With todays "dumbed down" market that sadly appeals to way to many people (mostly teens) It's no surprise that this song gained so much success. I don't think the average 12 to 15 year old girl is going to look for song structure, or even lyrics that mean anything. As long as it is repetitive enough to stick in there heads, and say something really dirty that their parents wouldn't want them to hear...then it will be successful. I know that is just one portion of the listening audience for this song, but it does play a big part.

As for the auto tune fad, I can't say I hate it...because I like SOME songs with Akon and T pain...and believe me there are only SOME songs..lol......okay maybe like 2 songs, but anyways...rappers should stay away from this whole style.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
The song actually started off REALLY REALLY slow at least here in ny. which tells me basically it was forcefed down our throats until lil girls start to remember the chorus.

on a side note the gunit songs ive been hearing on the radio are even worse. I guess thats what they sound like withouty dre's guidance (ewww) Yayo needs to get a rope and a bucket and do us all a favor.

The tactics of the Jedi is to cram shitty songs down our throats and buy that shit. !!!BEST RAPPER ALIVE!!!!

Gunit is falling off and it was expected. Yayo has never really been that "great" so I think we could kick the bucket.

You know what this is, it is a Big Mac with fries! The ingredients are shit, but people will consume it in the masses! The labels know this. They are creating the equivalent of fast food, but in music.

Hip Hop aka MC'Donalds

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I just read the lyrics, because I couldn't understand wtf he was saying.

It's genius. It's fucking genius. The lyrics are so fucking dirty, it's awesome!

Here's my take -- you can call me out on this, cuz it's an uninformed opinion.

1. Lil' Wayne releases the first major rap song that has the fucking RAPPER using autotune. Everyone that copies this style is now copying the "trendsetter" Lil' Wayne. Lil' Wayne is not a singer, like T-Pain, so there is a difference. Hence, Universal can shoot off press releases on how "he's changing the game" supporting the current messaging in their PR that he's "the best/most innovative rapper in the game." Jessica A. Dumbshit who buys his music will eat this up.

This is smart.

2. If this song came out without the Autotune, it wouldn't have been so different. It would've been another whack song.

3. A shitload of money was put into PR so this song would get A-list rotation. It would have been a hit no matter what. This is the crux of it.

4. Wayne, as a couple you already said, could've put out a song of syncopated farts with him "rapping" through a distorted vocoder tied to the nutsack of a moose, and it still would've been number one. Why? When everyone was knocking Lil' Wayne for having a guest spot on every fucking song last year, Birdman was building Wayne's hype and asking price for the next "hit." This exposure of Wayne being the "guest rapper" on a shitload of Top 40 hits gave him the momentum he needed for a guaranteed hit in "Tha Carter III."

Now, I think the song is WHACK as fuck, but I kinda understand wtf they were thinking, especially after reading the lyrics.

I bet his next single will "redeem" him lyrically, and will probably have a hot pseudo-techno synth beat on it. I might be wrong. Hopefully I am, I'm sick of the techno shit.

Hopefully, he won't combine syrup with everclear and die on us.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I just read the lyrics, because I couldn't understand wtf he was saying.

It's genius. It's fucking genius. The lyrics are so fucking dirty, it's awesome!

Here's my take -- you can call me out on this, cuz it's an uninformed opinion.

1. Lil' Wayne releases the first major rap song that has the fucking RAPPER using autotune. Everyone that copies this style is now copying the "trendsetter" Lil' Wayne. Lil' Wayne is not a singer, like T-Pain, so there is a difference. Hence, Universal can shoot off press releases on how "he's changing the game" supporting the current messaging in their PR that he's "the best/most innovative rapper in the game." Jessica A. Dumbshit who buys his music will eat this up.

This is smart.

2. If this song came out without the Autotune, it wouldn't have been so different. It would've been another whack song.

3. A shitload of money was put into PR so this song would get A-list rotation. It would have been a hit no matter what. This is the crux of it.

4. Wayne, as a couple you already said, could've put out a song of syncopated farts with him "rapping" through a distorted vocoder tied to the nutsack of a moose, and it still would've been number one. Why? When everyone was knocking Lil' Wayne for having a guest spot on every fucking song last year, Birdman was building Wayne's hype and asking price for the next "hit." This exposure of Wayne being the "guest rapper" on a shitload of Top 40 hits gave him the momentum he needed for a guaranteed hit in "Tha Carter III."

Now, I think the song is WHACK as fuck, but I kinda understand wtf they were thinking, especially after reading the lyrics.

I bet his next single will "redeem" him lyrically, and will probably have a hot pseudo-techno synth beat on it. I might be wrong. Hopefully I am, I'm sick of the techno shit.

Hopefully, he won't combine syrup with everclear and die on us.

you know, it makes sense...... but I think Snoop beat him to the auto tune thing with Sexual seduction...though I don't remember if he raps and uses autotune, but he does use it..

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Lil Wayne Makes Me Wanna Not Even Be In The Game Because He Is A Bad Representation Of Hip Hop. I Got Twin 15 Year Old Sons And They Like Some Of Lil Wayne's Music...but They Know That Dont Get No Play In My Ride. These These Young Cats In The Game Like Wayne Think They Hard...them Cats Aint Hard...m.o.p! Thats Hard...lollipop, Huh...i Knew Exactly Where He Was Gonna Go With The Song As Soon As I Heard The Title...lil Nigga Is Predictable Also. Plus He Kisses Other Men On The Lips...thats Just To Much Bitchassness For Me...i'm Sorry. OH YEAH YOUNG BUCKS...ROGER TROUTMAN WAS THE FIRST TO USE THAT EFFECT ON HIS VOICE BACK IN THE DAY...WELL HE WAS KNOWN FOR THAT EFFECT ON EVERYONE OF HIS SONGS. LOOK THAT SHIT UP. MANDR'E WAS ANOTHER. BUT NOT SO MUCH AS ROGER.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
What's hilarious is how the fiercest music critics on this site don't have a "clue" of why this song is saturating the airwaves. G almost had it but didn't really take it there so I will! (we he mentioned he read the lyrics)

IT'S THE FUCKING CONTENT! SEX SALES...SIMPLE AS THAT. GIRLS AND GUYS BY THE FUCKING MILLIONS ARE DOING XSTACY AND WHEN THIS SHIT PLAYS THE ONLY THING THEY HEAR IS "LETS FUCK LETS FUCK LETS FUCK" "EAT MY PUSSY SUCK MY DICK". REAL TALK!

So it's basically a theme song for how you feel when you're on X!

I know mf's who can't get there ass's out of bed until they pop a "double stack" of X! Has anybody seen how this fools starts his shows lately? He goes on for about 20 minutes in poem form about eating pussy..real talk! Have you seen his YouTube vids where he's just talking shit? 99% of it is about SEX!

BABY A.K.A "THE BIRDMAN" HAS FREAKED AND TURN LIL WIZZY DA FUCK OUTTTTTTT! LMAO

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
What's hilarious is how the fiercest music critics on this site don't have a "clue" of why this song is saturating the airwaves. G almost had it but didn't really take it there so I will!

IT'S THE FUCKING CONTENT! SEX SALES...SIMPLE AS THAT. GIRLS AND GUYS BY THE FUCKING MILLIONS ARE DOING XSTACY AND WHEN THIS SHIT PLAYS THE ONLY THING THEY HEAR IS "LETS FUCK LETS FUCK LETS FUCK" "EAT MY PUSSY SUCK MY DICK". REAL TALK!

So it's basically a theme song for how you feel when you're on X!

I know mf's who can't get there ass's out of bed until theY pop a "double stack" of X! Have anybody seen how this fools starts his shows lately? He goes on for about 20 minutes in poem form about eating pussy..real talk! Have you seen his YouTube vids where's he's just talking shit? 99% of it is about SEX!

Well what about the people who dont take X, but like the song. It falls into the Hip pop catorgory so people who just like popy music are going to like it regardless of its context. I agree with your opinion on sex sells, because it is the truth, but what makes this song any different from the last one?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
"everybody doesn't do x" true! but the people that are making that song go (the fans that is) are doing x and a whole lot more! If you've been in these clubs lately you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. These kids are popping pills of all kinds like it's "candy". They really didn't promote this song. It started out very slow on the radio and the took da fuck off. And for those that don't know...most of that ATR singing is not Lil Wezzy..it's the other dude in the video who actually was merk'd not soon after the video was shot!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
IMO, T-pain brought the autotune to the hip hop world. Snoop was the first rapper to use it personally, and lil wayne is being a cocky douchebag as usual.

Lollipop.. as usual in his songs its mostly shit, but i know what the lyrics are and there may be one or two nearly thought provoking lines.. thats it.

"I make her feel right when it's wrong like lyin" (i think thats coo, but in the song lying sounds too much like line and nobody caught it.)

"Told her to back it up like berp berp
And make that ass jump like jerp jerp"

^ no comment on that tho..........

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
"everybody doesn't do x" true! but the people that are making that song go (the fans that is) are doing x and a whole lot more! If you've been in these clubs lately you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. These kids are popping pills of all kinds like it's "candy". They really didn't promote this song. It started out very slow on the radio and the took da fuck off. And for those that don't know...most of that ATR singing is not Lil Wezzy..it's the other dude in the video who actually was merk'd not soon after the video was shot!

LDB's on point with the X as a reason as well. Kids are takin' "foxy" too, which is a little "harder" and different than X, but the premise is that kids are takin' this shit like candy. The cool kids at school drop X so all the other kids copy them, and here you go.

But: Universal dumping their Q2 promo budget into promoting Lil' Wayne is also a fact of why it is doing so well. Not a coincidence, dude.

ATR is definitely being used on Lil' Wayne while he is rapping. Not just on Static.

IMO, T-pain brought the autotune to the hip hop world. Snoop was the first rapper to use it personally, and lil wayne is being a cocky douchebag as usual.

Disagree -- Snoop used it to "sing" the song. He didn't use it over his rap. Weezy uses it over his rap. The PR unit at Universal is clinging to this idea.

beatboye

ill o.g.
First time i ever heared the use of auto-tune was "one more time" that dance track by Daft Punk it's performed by Romanthony. It's heavely compressed and it sounded wack at first but as time progressed it was one of the best dance tracks of music history because of the use of auto tune. But also the singer who is female but looks like a homo is Cher they called it the "cher affect" now everybody thinks its t-pain remember ROGER TROUTMAN like skidflow mentioned earlier on

remember tha past fuck hip pop anyway you heared that new g-unit track with lil waybe it's a sick beat but they fucked it up AGAIN (GAY UNIT) its called i like the way she do it

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Right...Well Universal has made a big investment in hiphop and they are gonna see a return thats for sho.
Whether the music is crap or not..
Interesting slant on the autotune thing with weeble, but I guess Im not impressed because if I had that effect I would have done that by now..I love f'n with fx on everything.
I think the next stepchild song Ill just run him through a phaser the whole track and claim that. lol
Im pretty "MC JOE UNKNOWN" had already done this with the autotune but Joe isnt with universal.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
I heard a joint on Shade 45... joint by 50Cent, and he had that autotune on his vocals. I think it was only for a chorus though. Shit is mad funny how these artist take no shame in biting each other so blantantly. I mean these cats don't even try to put a different spin on things...they just str8 up biting. All you young artist out there...take a look at the industry right now...this is what not to do.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Man, i can't believe what is considered "hip hop" anymore. Everybody using effects, marketing schemes. Blech! Makes me sick.

Wanna impress me? Spit a 16 over a drum loop wit no effects. I wanna hear what you have to say for real. Not to sell records,,,but,,,,it is what it is.

members online