Production As A Job

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Hey! I Know i made a post named production as a hobby, but recently i sat down and talked with my parents, and i decided i wanna take music seriously. I live in greece and my dad lives in england where there are a lot of opportunities to work as a music producer. So i will go and study music production in england so i can do it for a living. I know it sounds risky but i love music production and i just dont want anything limiting me from doing what i really like. I started doing lessons to learn music theory and harmony, i also do some music production pre-lessons that are nessecary along with getting the proficiency english degree just because the university i want to go in asks for it. I just wanted to share it on a beatmaking comunity and ask for your opinions on the topic. Also, if someone lives in england, can you tell me how things work there? Like, how can i work there if i cant find a music production related job right away? And even if i find one, how can i live there? Is there anything special i need to know? Sorry if im being a pain in the neck but im really trying to find what i want to do with my life. :)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Go for it. If you have the chance to do it then you should. How old are you?

I was in a similar situation a long time ago where I went to live with my father and take courses for music production but it wasn't a big place, it was just a small course but I still learned a lot. After that I wasn't in a situation to continue pursuing it because of personal responsibilites so that's one thing I wish I had of continued though.

One thing you need to be careful of though is what school you go to for music production. The reason I'm saying this is because from what I see, a lot of the course material from today's schools is stuff you can learn on your own online. The only difference in some cases is that you walk away with a degree from the school. On the other hand, that still doesn't guarantee you a job in a studio afterwards.

But if you want to do it then why not? You're young I'm assuming so you should. Just be careful. And if you do take a course then learn as much as you can before you start the course (you already know a lot), as that will help you.

TriKRaps

Go for it. If you have the chance to do it then you should. How old are you?

I was in a similar situation a long time ago where I went to live with my father and take courses for music production but it wasn't a big place, it was just a small course but I still learned a lot. After that I wasn't in a situation to continue pursuing it because of personal responsibilites so that's one thing I wish I had of continued though.

One thing you need to be careful of though is what school you go to for music production. The reason I'm saying this is because from what I see, a lot of the course material from today's schools is stuff you can learn on your own online. The only difference in some cases is that you walk away with a degree from the school. On the other hand, that still doesn't guarantee you a job in a studio afterwards.

But if you want to do it then why not? You're young I'm assuming so you should. Just be careful. And if you do take a course then learn as much as you can before you start the course (you already know a lot), as that will help you.
I will go when im done with school so i will be 18 by that time, currently im 16, i will try to end harmony lessons, learn piano and acordion and learn as much daw's as possible, also i will try to make myself a decent beatmaker before im ready to go

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Do not attempt to pursue music as a profession as the odds are against everyone no matter what style/genre(s) you prefer to make. Go to either a College or Uni and get a major that satisfies you and work on music in your downtime. If you rap don't quit but don't attempt to master producing and rapping at the same time as it is never wise to be a Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Outsource your beats but try to connect offline with a producer if you can if your city and/or country has a scene and be selective with whom you collab with, always.

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
I'm gonna have to somewhat disagree with OG on this. It really depends on what you want to do within music as a profession. Do you want to be a producer, a songwriter, an engineer, or do you want to venture over to the business side of it? There's a bunch of possible professions to choose from within the music industry. If you end up going to school for it, you can definitely network your way around and land a gig somewhere after school. The school you choose should have plenty of resources available for you to reach out to depending how prestigious the program is. Or you can just do the networking yourself amongst your peers. It all boils down to how much effort you're willing to put into it.

The internet has made it more viable to pursue music as a career compared to like 10-20 years ago. I know people who aren't mainstream big, but are able to support themselves because they've developed a sizable and loyal following even though relatively it may appear small. They're loyal enough to buy merch, beats, etc. to help the monthly income flowing consistently.

What I think OG was thinking when he responded was when people say "I want to be the next big thing in music." Like the next Drake or J Cole. I cringe every time I hear that from someone because it doesn't make practical sense. The artist themselves have no power over that - the listeners do. They're the ones that decide who blows up. Drake and J Cole just made music that they liked and the masses decided that they liked it too. Obviously the right marketing/business backing is crucial to help facilitate that, but ultimately it's up to the people. You can have all of the resources needed to assemble the best marketing strategy but if your product is shit, then it's still going to flop.

I think my one piece of advice is to be brutally honest with yourself or find someone that will be brutally honest with you. Ask yourself if this is really what you're passionate about. If yes, pursue it as much as you possibly can given other time commitments. Nothing's easy. You're going to have to make sacrifices and trade-offs. Everything in life takes hard work. If it didn't, everybody would be pursuing their own passions, but most don't. There's distractions everywhere as mentioned before, but if you catch yourself constantly being distracted, then you should reevaluate and ask yourself again if a career in music is what you really want. Obviously we aren't robots and need breaks/a sense of balance, but if it keeps happening, then maybe it isn't truly what you want or you flat out aren't willing to put in the effort to make it happen. Which goes along with my tag along piece of advice: you always need to be self-aware and practical about your own skills as well as your progression. Constantly reevaluate. It'll help to continue to drive you or push you away to another career pursuit.

Sorry for the rant haha, I'm very pro- go for it but with a keen sense of self-awareness. Hope this helps.

TriKRaps

Do not attempt to pursue music as a profession as the odds are against everyone no matter what style/genre(s) you prefer to make. Go to either a College or Uni and get a major that satisfies you and work on music in your downtime. If you rap don't quit but don't attempt to master producing and rapping at the same time as it is never wise to be a Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Outsource your beats but try to connect offline with a producer if you can if your city and/or country has a scene and be selective with whom you collab with, always.
og bama you told me the same things on the messages... we disgusted this things privately why post it again?... anyway thanks koey ill take your words in consideration too... im really gratefull for all the help

members online