Producers, What Do You Expect From Rappers?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I rap/write lyrics but I'm in the nascent stages of it as I'm starting again from the bottom in a new era, what do producers expect from rappers or are your expectations lowered or non existent? I'm asking as someone who isn't the stereotype of a rapper and proud to not be. The rapper lifestyle to me is more akin to being a lifelong student of the craft as opposed to the manufactured hype that many still fall for due to naivety and/or ignorance.

With regards to stereotypes, I don't have an entourage.

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I want a solid back and forth. Good communication. Tell me if something in the beat isn't working so I can change it. Take criticism from me and work on changes I hear. DONT phone in the verse or lyrics. Don't waste my time etc. Personally I am a best idea wins type of guy so if you hear something in what I am doing thats not working TELL ME and I will do the same. If you dont want to do the project anymore tell me. Don't ghost me.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
The same things I want from myself. I want to see dedication to your craft. even if you're naturally nice you need to know you can get better. you should have a business mind and that means a goal with a plan to make it happen. you should have an idea of what you want to sound like or at least who you want to be seen as. you thuggin thugga? you the professor? etc etc. I want LYRICS. better bring something that will move me. when people announce they want beats and I say lemme hear what you got I confuse cats and close doors on myself. but that's okay cause if you don't see this as a collaboration, if you don't expect me to protect my work from someone I think is wack, then we shouldn't be working together anyway. I will delete your verse, disavow you, cease and desist your stubborn efforts, copyright strike you, and put the track back on the market. no refunds. I aint playin, anybody workin with me should feel the same way. I don't care if you can't say reverse the harpsichord trill at measure 17 and reduce the overall reverb by 3 percent., I can't talk like that either. but at least use descriptive terms to speak your mind and have the confidence in your craft to do so as we build your sound. I am more willing to get deep with a repeat customer than a one off who goes after the cheapest beat. BTW @OGBama you sound more like an emcee than a rapper.

i would like to see them be prepared and have some idea of what they want so we can understand what each other are going for...
and bars also a work ethic is #1 lol:)

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Well... I used to make beats for the project of a guy ten years ago. He vanished. To this day I still don't know if he ended up in jail or into too much debt he had to disappear completely.
I just make beats for the sake of it now, but if I was to work with a rapper I would expect him to be consistent and reliable.

And yes +1 about the entourage thing... In a small city where I come from, when 2 different entourages meet and they all had some shit going with one another... What a mess.

Well... I used to make beats for the project of a guy ten years ago. He vanished. To this day I still don't know if he ended up in jail or into too much debt he had to disappear completely.
I just make beats for the sake of it now, but if I was to work with a rapper I would expect him to be consistent and reliable.

And yes +1 about the entourage thing... In a small city where I come from, when 2 different entourages meet and they all had some shit going with one another... What a mess.
its not just that, I really like to get a clean recording, that can be awkward with residual background noise from fuckers that cant keep quiet hahahahaha. Hopefully with the new studio setup that should really be minimised but hey I like the excuse to keep irrelevant people away when there is work to do.

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
I already agree with what 2Good Productions said. I'm currently trying to work with a vocalist(singer, not a rapper). However, the singer is really taking a long time to write and rehearse for one of my beats that she liked. I have to be patient with her as she could help a beginner like me to make it big (she's connected) but, the wait is a heavy load.

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
Just in case I ever get doxxed and the vocalist in question sees this post, I just want to stress that I respect and like her very much. However, I live in walking distants from her and it's coronavirus time; we both got a lot of free time.

members online