Pro Tools Integration Hardware ?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Your first guess is right, you will connect two cables from a hardware device and plug them into two inputs of the soundcard:

MPC into Monitor Input 3 and 4
Motif into Monitor Input 5 and 6

Then you would plug the Main Outputs 1/2 back into your speakers.

Don't be confused: the Mackie control is NOT a soundcard, it is only a faderbox which can be used to control software like Cubase, Cool Edit, Sonar, Pro Tools (I think), and others. If you get the Mackie Control, you will still have to get a soundcard as well.

There are other options besides the Digi001, have you looked at the Echo Layla24 or the Delta 1010? I believe that they have better sounding convertors than the Digi001, and you can use them with just about ANY software out there, not just ProToolsLE.

Take care,

Nick

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Originally posted by vitaminman

There are other options besides the Digi001, have you looked at the Echo Layla24 or the Delta 1010? I believe that they have better sounding convertors than the Digi001, and you can use them with just about ANY software out there, not just ProToolsLE.

That's what I was thinking. Sure the Digi001 is nice, but you would be limiting yourself. I've heard lots of good feedback about the Layla and Delta.

C

Copenhagen

I'm just using ProTools with the M-Box to record vocals and mix down our tracks with all its plugins etc...and the good thing about having/using ProTools is that its the standard most studios use and I can therefore just bring my shit directly to the studio in the their format and save time/money...even thought it ain't the best, its not bad.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

That's one of the thing about Pro Tools...is it hardware or is it software?

It's BOTH to my knowledge; it is a complete system from the ground up encompassing hardware and software. Their systems come in all sizes and flavors, ranging from the Digi001/M-Box and ProToolsLE at the bottom end all the way up to the big HD192 systems with PT6 and the DSP cards.

The advantage is that the hardware and software are designed to work with each other...the disadvantage is that once you get stuck into a Digidesign system, it is very difficult to get out because you have to get rid of EVERYTHING. Digidesign cards won't work with ASIO drivers, and you cannot use their cards under Windows except for simple 2 channel playback; Digidesign software won't work with cards that aren't Digidesign...

So, to answer your question, I don't think that you can use the Layla or the 1010 with any version of the ProTools software, except for maybe ProTools Free (which is a joke).

As for preamps...I'm not much of a preamp kind of guy, so I can only relay what people have told me: do not get the Digi001 just because it has preamps, they sound terrible, and you will eventually get different convertors. A co worker uses the Digi001, but purchased a Focusrite preamp and RME Hammerfall 8/8 convertor box and plugged it into the Digi001's ADAT interface because its own convertor box sounded so terrible. He's as happy as a clam now, but it cost him a lot of money!

Take care,

Nick