Playing Samples

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Okay, I have searched everywhere (including other sites) and I have read the articles, but I can't seem to find the best answer. So, if it is on here somewhere, could someone point me in the right direction or answer my question. Basically I want to be able to play my own samples instead of using the built in ones or a soft synth. I have an Edirol Midi Controller keyboard. I usually do most things in Cakewalk Plasma and use Fruity Loops to sequence my drums. There is a fruity loops article on here that kind of answered some questions for me, but my only problem is that I have the FL version that came with my Audigy and does't allow me piano roll access. I have investigated Sampletank, but it seems like way too much money for me. So, I have decided that there are a couple possible options. I could upgrade the FL to the full version (if that is necessary) and figure out how to sync it with Plasma (I hear this is possible but don't know how). I could get Sonar 3 (I think this is the best program for me since I am already very familiar with Cakewalk products). Or I could figure out why my volumes are so low when I sample out from my computer to my actual hardware sampler. I never use my sampler cuz I hate chopping samples on it and when I record samples onto it from my computer, they end up with super low volume and some line hum. (Actually I get a little line hum all the time, but that is another problem). Can anyone make some suggestions or think of any other options for me? Or point me in the right direction? I do a lot of crate digging; so, I would really like to be able to play my samples instead of just cutting and pasting them. Thanks for the help.

What do I gotta do to get some love here? Come on help me out, not all of us are equipment geniuses here. You don't even have to answer my question, if you can at least hit me off with your opinion or point me somewhere. I'd really appreciate it.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
all i can tell you is that syncing programs together is a bad solution; too clumsy and eats way too much resources. why don't you leave cakewalk alone, and move to FRUITY LOOPS? (as i understand, REASON would be a bit too expensive for you). fruity is both cheap and complete. it has EVERYTHING + MORE. don't waste your energy on trying to find a solution to such a complicated problem. just invest money and some time to learn your new software. that's how i see it...

Good Luck,
Wings

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Hey thanks a lot Wings, I really appreciate it. I might consider buying Reason, especially if I were to sell my sampler. I saw a demo of Sonar 3 Producers and was very impressed though. Would you recommend Reason over Sonar? I guess the only reason that Reason makes me weary is because you can't use DXi's or VST's in it. From someone who has been around a while, is that really such a big deal? Also it is my understanding (I get confused on some of what I read) that Reason is not a Midi Sequencer, which Sonar is, am I right here? (I'll research this more in a sec.) I mostly sample but I do play some too; so, I think I kinda need that option. I also really like the ability to use Acidized (aka Groove) loops, but from my reading, I think that is essentially what Dr. Rex does. Correct? I know a lot of this is probably in here and I will look some more. I have been following the site for months though and just recently registered cuz I can't figure some of this stuff out. Everything I know I have taught myself and don't know anyone else that produces; so, some of my thoughts are off or just generally confused. Any help is highly appreciated. I'm about to score a new computer; so, I'm also trying to figure out what is best to tweak it out. Everyone please contribute your thoughts on this. I guess being able to sequence and chop my own samples is the most important thing to me since I sample pretty much everything including my drum shots. I know from these questions that it sounds like I don't search the forums but I really have and maybe I'm just not using the right topics or I'm just generally confused.
Thanks,
UnOwn

P.S.- Anyone know someplace to find a good tutorial on wiring all my equipment, hardware and computer, I'm getting slight line hum and can't figure out why (thought it was grounding or an earth loop, but haven't been able to solve this).

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Angelic Help

okay, first of all: http://hardwarehell.com/build.shtml -> a useful resource for tips on how to build\wire your home pc.

now, regarding the main issue: reason = producer's heaven on one hand, and also producer's hell on the other. i would recommend reason over sonar, yes. i would strongly recommend you to read: http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_propellerheads_reason.htm

"You can use reason as a straight ahead midi sequencer, playing Reason's instruments from your keyboard and recording the data. Reason stores all this tweak-data too. You can save a song and come back 6 moths later and all your tweak's are still there, just as they were when you closed the project the last time. There is only one major thing you can't do with Reason: You can't control external synths with it. That's important if you are considering Reason as a one and only sequencer. It can only sequence itself".

reason does not load vst\vsti\dx\dxi. that's true. it's a big disadvantage, that's also true.
but - you can live without that. i have been using reason since version 1.0 (and even earlier alphas and betas) and i can honestly say that i don't need nor want to use external plugins. reason has everything you need in order to create music. it does not limit you. it's all up to the user, to take advantage of all the ADVANCED features it offers. those who tell you how poor reason is, do not know what they are saying. reason got all the effects you need as well (although it's a common belief that the effects suck, it ain't true). some of the effects could have been better, but it's not a catastrophe. i cannot tell you that reason is perfect or near pefect; that would be a lie. but it is a rock solid (almost) solution to all your beatmaking needs. if you do get reason, also be sure to get RECYCLE. that's your answer to all your sampling needs. dr. rex is out of this world. as comfortable as it gets when it comes to working with samples.

don't forget that fruity loops is just as good as reason, even though a bit different. i would think twice before making a final decision. fruity is an EXTREMELY powerful all-in-one studio, and should not be underestimated. forget everything you have read about fruity\reason thus far and focus on my next phrase: MANY PEOPLE tend to bamboozle and fib, but eventually, it's all about what you can do with your weapon of choice. always remember and memorize that software does not limit you in any way.
just learn your software the best you can, and concentrate on making YOUR MUSIC. that's my mantra.

to your last question: Optimising Windows XP For Music - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Mar02/articles/pcmusician0302.asp

if you need further help, feel free to ask and consult! i'm here to help you the best i can.

All The Best,
Wings

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Great info Wings! Is there a member of the year award? Or did you stop with it Fade cos Wings was always winning???

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
afriquedeluxe said:
hey i use reason, and its a midi sequencer. but it hasnt got the GM soundset.

Hey afriquedeluxe,
I thought I read that you did and we all know you got some bangers, thanks for the input. I've read a little bit about the GM Soundset (and soundfonts in general, I think thats it), but could you elaborate as to why it is a good idea to have these. I know you are big on playing keys, but I'm wondering from a digging standpoint what is probably better for me. Thanks. Also, I see that a lot of people us FL and I use it to sequence my drums, but the sample placement just doesn't seem as intuitive to me. (I don't have the full version though, so maybe this is the prob). I like the looks of that Dr. Rex thing but I really just want to know what everyone's favorite tool for chopping (not a wave editor) and playing samples is? Also, if not a standalone program, what is the best host in your opinion? Sampletank looks sick but is too much money when I need a sequencer as well. Thanks guys.

Wings, you rule!!!!!! Thanks for helping out. I've read a million reviews and the most I have gotten out of them is more confused. I am a firm believer that less can be more and you just got to learn your shit. I have been using mainly Cakewalk Plasma up to now and it is really better than people give it credit for, I just mainly need the ability to play my samples. The effects suck in it as well, but it is built on the Sonar engine as far as I know. That is why Sonar is taking such a high profile for me in this, because I'm so comfortable with the layout. And I know that I still don't know how to do everything in it. The main problem with Plasma is that, although I am a fast learner, no one uses Plasma, or talks about it, or is anything written about it (except in the included help.) I've done the worthless included tutorials and even tried to read the whole programs help, but couldn't get through it. I'm rather proficient with computers but need an actual paper book to read or at least some online articles (so I can read them at work). Home time is for making beats not reading the friggin help. I'll study up some more on the stuff you included and get back if I have anymore questions. Again, you rule...thanx

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
hmm the GM soundset is, well useless lol becuz reason has alot of amazin sounds that it doesnt need them. and for sampling , id say reason and the recycle program wud do the job well. recycle is really good. choppin in this program is ridiculousy easy. after u chop up ur stuff, u cud save the file as a rex file and in reason usin the dr.drex machine open the file, and bamn, u got ur chopped samples there to ready to use. for a complete software package of making beats, id suggest-

main program - reason

choppin tool - recycle

sound editor - sumtin like cool edit, sound forge

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Hey thanks, that sounds like a good combo. I alread use Wavelab and Wavestudio for my sound editors. Although my wavelab isn't the full version, I seem to get all I need out of it for now. Since I have a midi controller, do you guys think I should get rid of my sampler (Yamaha SU200)? I really never use it cuz, as I said, the samples sound like crap when coming back out of my computer. I just like playing the buttons though. How much do you think I could realistically get for it? According to ebay, looks like about $190 to $250. I'd probably be willing for that. Well, thanks again for all the help.
-UnOwn