Picked up my first mixer today.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know, with my software only / mainly set-up, I dont need a mixer. BUT, i stumbled upon a Mackie VLZ 1202 PRO today, for $100. I snatched it up quick.

The money was set back for a mic [Was gonna go Samsung CO1U], But figured a $300 mixer, for $100 in the box, Couldnt be beat. So i guess with my paycheck friday, Ill buy a nice vocal mic.

I have a few in mind. Samsung co1 [Is it anygood, or is it boasted about, due to the CO1U's USB capability?], Shure sm58, And others around $60-100. Any suggestion's? It will be used for vocals, in my "personal studio" [Maybe 2-3 ppl will ever hear it.]

For now, im stuck with on-board sound. I am planning to upgrade soundcard's, but it will be a couple weeks at earliest.

So, from my computer's 8mm output, I got a 8mm to RCA [stereo], to a set of RCA cables, Then on the end i have PHONO RCA to 1/4" jacks.(they work, and are all Radioshack had. Return and order online?) Plugged into Channel 6 [Is this right?].

Then, from my "Control room" i have the same phono connectors, then RCA's, into RCA input on my stereo reciever.

Any way i can select between monitors, phones, and both? since i record in the same room my computer, and monitors are in?

How would i track back into the computer [Via line in, untill i get soundcard.], from my mixer? I tried Aux send, But nothing.

Btw, my set-up consists of:
Computer, onboard sounds, ASIO4all drivers.
Fruityloop6, Battery2, And audicity
Midi keyboard, and MPD16, both Via usb.
Monitoring using a stereo for now.

And my newly added mackie 1202. plus a few older yamaha and casio keyboards.

Edit: k, seen on Tweakz site, i need to go from ALT 3/4, to line in. Ill try that later tonight. Any option's on "Best vocal mic" under $100?

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
i dont know if you're gonna be able to tell any considerable difference between mic's under $100 and the soundcard you are using. If you are going to record this for your own personal use and a few of your friends you'll be fine with what you got i guess. it really depends on what you are going for becuase you won't be getting all of the usage out of your microphone becuase of your soundcard.

onboard sound is terrible, if i remember correctly. i'd recommend getting a good soundcard and then a microphone preamp. Even if your mackie board has a preamps, you may still want a dedicated preamp for your mic. I use to use the preamps in my mixer but once i bought an actual mic preamp it was a considerable difference in quality.

If you're on a hella budget though, just stick with whats on your mackie.

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
That mixer not gonna really do you much good if your soundcard aint hitting on nothing. I HIGHLY recommend u upgrade your soundcard before investing in ne more gear. With the onboard soundcard the convertors are gonna suck and the sound will all be discolored/terrible sounding. Though you may can pull some stunts but if u can spend the money on a mixer then im pretty sure u can cop an new audio interface. Go FOR IT.

Nicole

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Soundcard is ur priority now.
Do not get a mic until u get a good soundcard. M-audio 2496, Emu 0404 or an Esi Juli@.
If u want a mic for $100 look 2 get the Studio Projects B1. I have heard good things bout em, and Im coppin 1 too. If u can get the B1 get an Audio Technica AT2020 (Both are condenser mics)

T

The Bastard

sm58s a good live mic. not really made for studio recording, although u could use it and prolly get ok results, for the price of a sm58 u could get an mxl studio condensor mic that will prolly be better for you. but like everyone else says yur first priority here is a good sound card. then after that,a good mic preamp. those are more important than the mic

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i do plan on upgrading to a EMU 0404 when i get paid.
I just couldnt pass up on a $300 mixer, for $100.