Piano Notes

T

tapesmith

Are there any sites where I can find some notes for hip hop songs so i can play on my keyboard? Yell.

M

mbiafb

an alternative

Although I have not seen any free postings of notes, try looking for the sheet music at sites like sheetmusiconline.com or sheetmusicplus.com. The pickings for hiphop are slim due to the nature of hip hop. hard to notate samples in standard notation.

Another way to obtain the notes ( or at least something similar ) is to download Midi files of the songs you seek to play. Open the file in a program like Finale or Sibelius or any sequencing program that will also show the notes. I reccomend using Finale or Sibelius if you can because they will give you moe options as far as prining out the music and more options if you want to change the key etc. If you just need the basic melody, any sequencer with basic notation abilities will do like Sonar or Cubase VST will do that for you. In fact, even a few freeware programs will at least show you the notes on a piano roll.

M

mbiafb

Those might be hard to find for free......

Are you referring to the programs or the mid files?

I'll address both.

1) You are not likely to find the latest underground freestyle from a basement, but you will usually find the latest Jay-z or any other pop type rapper if you search the midi sites. Most of these files will suck, but will most likely contain basic melodies the original poster is seeking even in the bad arrangements. The range and quality expand if you purchase commercial midi files.

2) Since he did not mention budget, I'm not sure if he is looking for freeware. I presented commercial software as one option. Like all things, you get what you pay for, so expensive programs like Finale are going to give him more options, probably a lot more than what he needs. Not encouraging the illegale route, but I am sure most people know, Finale or Sibelius can be downloaded from various sources. As for free resources, none will give you the same control as the more expensive options, but free sequencing software like computer muzys which comes free with computer music magazine will at least show the notes in a piano roll. Even a functional demo like fruityloops, will show the notes in a piano roll if you import a midi file. not the best way, especially if you are used to reading sheet music, but still an option.

M

mbiafb

again..not that i am encouraging that sort of thing ;) , but it took a friend of mine ;) all of 30 seconds to type in sibelius and finale and find them both online ;)

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Tapesmith won't have a clue what to do with Sibelius or Finale if he can't figure out notes himself! Those programs are for score printing and arrangements, not for teaching people how to play/read music.

Nick

M

mbiafb

Tapesmith won't have a clue what to do with Sibelius or Finale if he can't figure out notes himself!

Tapesmith never claimed he could not read music. I assumed that since he was looking for the notes, that he knew how to read them. Both Finale and Sibelius are not designed for a person that cannot read music, but they can do a little more than meets the eye. I suggested those programs because they are the most flexible in terms of what you can do with a midi file once you have it.