Panning instrument to both sides

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got a piano i want to put around 25% L and R in my mix, and I'm wondering if there's any way to tell reason to do this without duplicating the NNXT and using the mixer to pan each to one side at 25%. anyone know?

veon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wtf is that. never heard of that. panning is volume in the L ch and R ch if you raise it 25% in both ch youll have the same thing but probably louder. thats not a pan at all.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wtf is that. never heard of that. panning is volume in the L ch and R ch if you raise it 25% in both ch youll have the same thing but probably louder. thats not a pan at all.

panning is used to locate things in your mixes. you keep drums/bassline center and pan the rest of your instruments- if you don't, you're gonna have a hard time separating sounds and it can confuse people's ears.

yes, you can just pan something to one side. but that gives it a hollow sound, which you dont always want in my opinion. if i have a piano knocking throughout my beat but i need to give it definition from the drums and bassline, i pan it 25% each direction so it gives more of a stereo effect. maybe thats just be but i was almost positive almost all producers do that to gain clarity in the mix.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
LOL ur makin shit to complicated...
just create a line mixer, assign the first output to the left input of channel one on the line mixer, and the second output to the left input of channel 2 on the line mixer. Now pan channel 1 hard left, and channel 2 hard right and you have a full stereo field instrument.

Now you can get flexible wit this, by narrowing the field path (by varying how much you pan) and adjust the volume on each channel.

This is what i do and it works like a charm.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just create a line mixer, assign the first output to the left input of channel one on the line mixer, and the second output to the left input of channel 2 on the line mixer. Now pan channel 1 hard left, and channel 2 hard right and you have a full stereo field instrument.

Now you can get flexible wit this, by narrowing the field path (by varying how much you pan) and adjust the volume on each channel.

no doubt...i had thought out of inexperience that if i only put one channel on each side the sound wouldn't be 'full' enough, like i'd be cutting it in half and panning, but i realized you just compensate by raising the volume.

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1

Good shit. nova..i'm just now starting to utilize panning to improve my mixes...and this piece of info came just in the nick of time.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
no doubt...i had thought out of inexperience that if i only put one channel on each side the sound wouldn't be 'full' enough, like i'd be cutting it in half and panning, but i realized you just compensate by raising the volume.

It actually makes it fuller........ what you basically just said is like saying "i like my sandwhiches with one bologna, because one bologna on each bread doesnt seem.. Full enough"//

u dont have to compensate for anything be.. its wider than it originally is so infact you have to turn it down or narrow the panning. Somehow i feel like you missed what i tried to explain, i'll take a snapshot when i can.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It actually makes it fuller........ what you basically just said is like saying "i like my sandwhiches with one bologna, because one bologna on each bread doesnt seem.. Full enough"//

u dont have to compensate for anything be.. its wider than it originally is so infact you have to turn it down or narrow the panning. Somehow i feel like you missed what i tried to explain, i'll take a snapshot when i can.

nah man i got you, sorry if i just mistyped i was real tired when i wrote that previous post. i appreciate the advice

Young Qyu

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
what if you wanted to pan sections in one riff. Like say if i have a long piano riff under one nnxt and i want parts of that riff to pan left and right. i don't see an envelope for that. so how do i do this without having to use 2 nnxt's having seperate parts for the left and right side that still plays that same riff. tell me if i'm not being very clear. i know in logicworks, you can just use the panning envelope bar and manually adjust that center line in specific parts that need panned left or right.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well you can record panning to the sequencer but I don't like to do it that way. If you want to try it make a new sequencer track and link it to your mixer and hit record. Moving the pan knob will record itself to the track which you can also pencil in using the sequencer zoomed in.

members online