Pad Controllers and Recommendations

ill o.g.
What's up everyone-
I looked thru the previous posts about the different Pad Controllers that are out there (mpd24, trigger finger, padkontrol...) and I was wanting to hear people's positive and negative feedback with their experiences. I have an mpc 4000 which i'm gonna sell just because it's too much of a hog for me... i like simplicity in my hardware, complexity in my software. So, i know akai's feel and i've dicked around with the trigger finger a little and thought that it was pretty nice. No experience with korg's padkontrol.
I'm looking for suggestions... I'm currently running Sonar 5 with kontakt 2, Battery 2 (controller MUST work with battery 2), Wavlab, Reason. I know the trigger finger is pretty much plug and play but i was wondering how user friendly the mpd24 and the padkontrol are?
One big issue just like everyone is the Roll option and x-y on korg, which pretty much sells itself but I'm wondering about the user-friendlyness of it. i don't wanna be spending a ton of time setting up kits (korg calls them scenes). Also how would you all rank the feel of the pads....obviously another huge issue...most specifically the korg's?
Thanks everyone- Sub~Con

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I use the MPD16 with Reason3.0 and FLStudio. I was lookimng at the whole roll option on the PadKontrol but I can setup my own rolls with a few clicks in FL using the MPD16. I'm sure theres a way to set up rolls in Reason I just have'nt figured it out yet. If I had to pick betweenthe newer controllers I would probably get the MPD24 for the transport controls. But, I'm goodwith the MPD16 right now!

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Use the arpeggiator in your channel settings. Go to "Func"> arpeggiator. Click the off button to ^, set your repeat to "2" and right click your time knob and go to set. Set the step to your liking and bang away! Trust me fam I don't think the price on that PadKontrol is justified when most software sequencers have this feature. The MPD16 would be a good investment for you at $99. Hope this helps you make your decision. Good Luck

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i love my trigger finger, one thing does annoy me however, sometimes if u hit too off center it will put down two notes at once, like a milliscond apart, i can just go in and delete one but it just annoys me when i do it while punchin in some drums and i hear two kick drums like stutter into eachother

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
trebeatz said:
i love my trigger finger, one thing does annoy me however, sometimes if u hit too off center it will put down two notes at once, like a milliscond apart, i can just go in and delete one but it just annoys me when i do it while punchin in some drums and i hear two kick drums like stutter into eachother

yea i was fuckin wit a mv 8000 and it was doin the same thing

ill o.g.
alright, thanks fellas, i really appreciate the feedback...knox i appreciate the instruction... i'm sorta feelin the trigger finger cuz ive felt the pads plus i have an axiom 49 on the way which has 8pads..but something bugs me about usin only 8 pads on the corner of my keys....call me wasteful but if it inspires me to have a separate pad controller...i'm faded and its 3 am. i'm tryin to make sense so i still would love some more feedback....thx and goodnight!!

ill o.g.
more suggestions/advice? i'm pretty in the dark on which way to go... Lookin for feedback on the Mpd 24, trigger finger and the padkontrol...

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
M-Audio Axiom 49......check that out, the pads are supposedly velocity sensitive...im planning on buying one soon, ill let u know how it is.......

ill o.g.
awesome... i actually ordered one too, should be getting it beginning of may but pad-wise i still want to have something like the trigger finger for more pads and tweaks...but still let me know what you think of it..lates bro

any other suggestions?

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you gotta have the roll feature, Go with the PadKontrol. I dont think i'd pay that much. My $99 MPD16 is doing just fine for me.

ill o.g.
ok cool, didn't realize the mpd-24 wasn't comin out til august...i decided last night to go with the korg padkontrol so i'll try to give people a good review once i get it. thanks everyone for the feedback.

ill o.g.
Any word yet on how much the MPD24 is gonna cost? (I checked the earlier MPD24 thread, there wasn't an answer).

I've been thinking of adding a drumpad controller to my setup for a while...Trigger Finger feels too flimsy for my tastes, so I was thinking of the MPD16. Considering I can get that new for $99 and lower now, from its $300 retail cost a few years ago, it was my top pick. Now that depends on the estimated cost of the 24...'cause those new features look sweet.

Edit: also, any word on whether it'll work with Acid 6 (which comes packaged with a special edition of Kompakt) would be cool...

Dabeskeptsekret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Korg Pad Kontrol

I guess I can go ahead and give a review of this peice being that I own both the Trigger Finger and the Pad Kontrol. If your looking for soft pads that are extremely touch sensitive, and the roll feature, I'd go with the Pad Kontrol. The X-Y pad lets you not only control the speed of the roll, but the pitch as well. You can pretty much assign whatever you want to the X-Y pad too. Another great feature that it has is you can configure the key mapping WITHOUT having to go through the librarian. You still will end up going through the librarian (to save your settings) but I didnt have to do it immediately. Its overall performance is just great, I'd suggest it to whoever wants it.

The Trigger Finger is okay. I used it when I was running FL with a slew of VSTs (Battery, Kontakt, Sampletank, Sonik Synth, etc.). You can also program rolls in Battery 2 if your using the Trigger Finger without having to click, or fill in, or just mouse around period. Im selling my Trigger Finger for like $100-140 bux to whoever would want it.

members online