Out of Favor

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
I seem to have this problem every time I buy a keyboard I fall out of favor with it n end ujp sellin it but I love my MPC1k to death. I only use the keyboard for a bassline but I can do that on my mpc do any of u guys buy gear n later on disliking it

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I have the exact same situation, I think it's because I can't play keys. I've bought and sold a lot of gear, however I always keep an MPC. I've had the 2000/60/1000 at all times, although in 98 I had only the SP1200 (sounded great, but too time consuming for someone with a day job).
MPC's are definitely my #1 favorite piece of music creating gear.
I will say this though, that LinnDrum II analog looks incredible, I cannot wait for that thing to come out...

A keyboard is a valuable resource, without one I would never have gotten to play one the way I can now.
And in using the keyboard I have come to get an understanding of which keys follow each other for any particular scale. And you cant beat using a keyboard when it comes to improvising things. Even just playing a sample on a keyboard like the sample is a synth. Keep the keyboard, learn to appreciate what it can do. I put my keyboard away for a couple years, it slowed my learning curve dramatically. But now I appreciate what it can help me acheive.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I'm glad I started out with a keyboard. The old Roland JW50 was the first piece of gear I ever purchased. The next piece was a fuckin two piece sampler...can't even remember the name but it was a big piece of shit with only a few seconds sample time....lol.

I can't straight up play the keyboard but I can definitely get my music to sound the way I want it. May take a minutes but I can get it done. I know basic chords and that's about it. I strictly go off the dome (by ear) but it always works out for me. I seldom ever get reviews where a real keyboard player tells me I hit the wrong note. I let me ears find the key I need to be in.

I guess it depends on your level of production skill as far as if you feel you need a keyboard or not. I know personally I wouldn't lay down a bass line, strings, piano etc with out one. Yes you can play around and find the right chord progression on your MPC but it's not the same to me, it's definitely not as fluent. If you just str8 sample to put your tracks together I guess it don't much matter but if you like to compose entirely or over a hot sample you have to turn to the keys! I'm sure some can get it done...using pads for composition just won't cut it for me.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
keyboard makes thing so much easier .... i would def recomend having one .. .. i use my keys more in my beat making process than the mp pads by far... i dont know why but ..... i prefer to play my chops out over the keys rather tha the pads... esp if i have more than 16 chops cuz otherwise u gotta switch bewtween banks to access the other chops.

that being said i know a producer in queens with two grammys that doesnt use any keys at all just the mp .. plays bass, notes and piano and all that shit on the pads... he also hasnt placed a record in over ten years either lol

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
... he also hasnt placed a record in over ten years either lol

lol...yeah..there was a time when you could get away with that. Now music theory and peoples understanding of it makes not knowing any of it detrimental to your music career.

members online