Once Again I Have To Reiterate The Importance Of Regular Backups

So, this evening, putting the finishing touches on an upcoming house track with an artist Im working with, gave it the seal of approval ready to go. Turned the volume up and the bass was fucking banging, was a pleasure to behold. Then out of the fucking blue, the harddisk bounces itself to the floor and proceeds to stop working.
So there I was sweating like an absolute motherfucker, thinking what have I lost? Could have been weeks of work, all my recent beats, a whole house project with this artist gone down the shitter. I was pondering just ending it all right there, jump off Tower Bridge or some other melodramatic end to it all.
But no, I get home and realise I plugged in my back up device yesterday and its auto backed up everything. Fucking result, although Ive lost a tonne of shit I had on that drive that wasnt backed up, my music wasnt any of it.
Moral of the story, losing everything can make you want to give it all up, or at the very least, give you a sick feeling inside that you never want to feel, MAKE REGULAR BACKUPS.

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I support this message. Too many lost beats for me. All the beats from my teens and early 20's are dust in the digital wind (save a few on Souundcloud).

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
So, this evening, putting the finishing touches on an upcoming house track with an artist Im working with, gave it the seal of approval ready to go. Turned the volume up and the bass was fucking banging, was a pleasure to behold. Then out of the fucking blue, the harddisk bounces itself to the floor and proceeds to stop working.
So there I was sweating like an absolute motherfucker, thinking what have I lost? Could have been weeks of work, all my recent beats, a whole house project with this artist gone down the shitter. I was pondering just ending it all right there, jump off Tower Bridge or some other melodramatic end to it all.
But no, I get home and realise I plugged in my back up device yesterday and its auto backed up everything. Fucking result, although Ive lost a tonne of shit I had on that drive that wasnt backed up, my music wasnt any of it.
Moral of the story, losing everything can make you want to give it all up, or at the very least, give you a sick feeling inside that you never want to feel, MAKE REGULAR BACKUPS.
My external HD with all my samples on it stopped working a few days back. I think I can save the files but still. Make regular backups.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm going to create The ILL Data Center for beat backups.

badcable16.jpg

Sometimes you can buy a toaster (Dock Station)for your harddrive and 95% of the time it comes back on
Aleratec-HDD-Copy-Cruiser-Mini-drives.jpg

Kane the MOD

Is it just me or does @2GooD Productions always teaser his projects and then never ever looses a damn word about them again? Like Drake hiding his child kind of attitude.

Not saying that posting your projects on the ill will make you a professional paid musician but there is certainly no harm in doing so.

Unless, you are really into the furniture moving thing of course....

just saying.

Is it just me or does @2GooD Productions always teaser his projects and then never ever looses a damn word about them again? Like Drake hiding his child kind of attitude.

Not saying that posting your projects on the ill will make you a professional paid musician but there is certainly no harm in doing so.

Unless, you are really into the furniture moving thing of course....

just saying.
Lol, I will post once they are on spotify.

If it works for you, you'll recover everything
Ive had to resort to data recovery in the past, but Ive never been able to recover everything. Because of disk fragmentation, if the data is in fragments all over the disk, without the master boot record then I think it becomes impossible to know where all the parts are on the HD. When I plug the drive in at the moment it says that the drive needs to be formatted. I think the drop destroyed the MBR.

Kane the MOD

Ive had to resort to data recovery in the past, but Ive never been able to recover everything. Because of disk fragmentation, if the data is in fragments all over the disk, without the master boot record then I think it becomes impossible to know where all the parts are on the HD. When I plug the drive in at the moment it says that the drive needs to be formatted. I think the drop destroyed the MBR.
Did you try using a Linux with Gparted?

Sometimes that can do miracles.

A cool trick is using a Google Drive folder on your computer that you save all the music to. That way all your project files are backed up to the cloud in real time without having to worry ever.

I have issues with security of the cloud.
Yes, it may not be perfect. But the information being stored isn't really valuable (I mean its our project files, but it has no real inherent value to anyone but ourselves), and it's unlikely Google Drive goes down (and if it does, we still have the original on our computers as this is just a backup, not the only copy.

It makes for easy collaborations as well.

Yes, it may not be perfect. But the information being stored isn't really valuable (I mean its our project files, but it has no real inherent value to anyone but ourselves), and it's unlikely Google Drive goes down (and if it does, we still have the original on our computers as this is just a backup, not the only copy.

It makes for easy collaborations as well.
I use google drive for collaborations

members online