Old School Heads...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I have been on a few IM's with members who make bangin tracks and in the some of the convos I would ask if they ever heard of artist who had been mad influential on me and my hiphop, and they hadnt.
Like Schooly D , Hasshim , Latin Rascals, Newcleus, Egyption Lover, sorta that era.
Of course there are other eras and what not BUT
Anyway it occured to me maybe this is why there may be what doesnt feel hiphop out there now.The history is being forgotten because its really not bein taught, as soon as its outa "Style" its ..well out of style.

SO that being said Im wondering if anyone would be down for commin up with a page that features an older hiphop artist weather huge or just one of those records you have in the crate we could feature them and give the low down ie, all the above artists all composed mostly at first , and play the song or whatever...We'll think of somthin but if your interested in somthin like this and want to contribute then pm me..

If sounds like a bad idea feel free to post that here as well..lol

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The history is being forgotten
that's what i beleive, don't know if it's because it's not being taught. one must want to learn, so that could go both ways.

If sounds like a bad idea feel free to post that here as well..lol
sounds like a good idea.hell, even a thread devoted to videos,concert footage, interveiw, etc. would be dope too. i'm always finding dope vids on youtube. that may make for a good start and it's easy to get into. but in the meantime..

: plays Nas' Carry on Tradition..and exits the thread :

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
^ yea, PSK what does it mean... thats on some philly rap revolution shit.

thats keepin it real.

slick rick is my dude tho.

sounds like a good idea

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Well this will prolly be outside of the forms more like the articles on the front page and what not. BUT those are all good ideas, definately the types of gear and techniques cats was using , of course drum machines were really big...
Im open for ideas lets discuss it and decide what we would like the format to look like.

The older NYC Radio shows WERE the shit tho..
And Definately Schooly D is a Bad mf, the techniques hw used were really cool, ie throwin reverb on the whole track ala Gucci Time and PSK.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Only thing i wasn't feelin was when Schooly D did the theme for Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Cartoon network. ... its catchy after a while.. but.. no.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Basically it's not going to be something here in the forums, it's going to be on the main part of the site in its own section. Why? Because forums are for community-related stuff, this is more about information and contributing to the site. We can have a section here to maybe discuss the stuff that will be posted in that section, but that's about all.

I'm still not sure where Relic wants to take it but I've already started setting up something.

For example, maybe you would want to add something like this:

Artist: EPMD
Song: Never Seen Before (rmx)
Sampled Artist: Slave
Sampled Song: Watching You
Comments: Erick Sermon took this Slave song and spanked it like a red-headed step child, coming out with a sick beat, still with his signature funk style.

This is just an example, so if you guys have ideas to add, post in here.

I don't know if Relic wants to make this ONLY old history stuff, or if he wants some digging stuff too, etc.

Thanks.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Digging is cool too, I just want to make sure that we can actually hear the songs of the artist as well, because if you have never HEARD PSK then you will think that that R&B song that came out not long ago (W/E that was) using the beat was the original...

I got the idea, but Im all about some brainstorming with folks on here and Fade have the final word as to how it, ought to/gonna be...

What say ye? Brethren of Ill?

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I'm down Relic! I'll start thinking of some stuff cause they use to call me E.S., the overlord of fresh! (hehe, youngsters missed out on that)

dfine

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
If you never heard PSK you need the go back school. Some heads don't even know the names some song on cats albums. just the track number

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
sounds like a good idea i can't wait to check this out. Don't stone me here guys but i've never heard of these guys myself. I'm sure the guys I look up to were influenced from them so indirectly i see the connection. I look forward to gettin schooled though lol.

members online