offset drum pattern?

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
does anyone know how to do the style of drums like dilla, pete rock, kev brown, illmind, battlecat and so on do? you know, its kinda offset? i cant figure it out for nothing. does anyone know? theres gotta be some kinda technique. i spent months trying to figure it out. i cant quite get it. any help is appreciated. thanks

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
I think you just got a play with it and used your ear I dont think there is a set "offset" pattern......listen to those artists u like and try and copy what they did and then look at the way its layed out

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
PrOLifiK said:
I think you just got a play with it and used your ear I dont think there is a set "offset" pattern......listen to those artists u like and try and copy what they did and then look at the way its layed out

the thing is, i've been trying to copy but had no luck. their is something to their technique i cant grab.

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
try finding a track with drums you like loop the 4 bars or whatever in your sequencer and play along then look at where the drums hit and go from there. whats an example song your talking about? could it be they dont chop there breaks right on so maybe the drums sound a lil off.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
It's not offst, it's syncopated...

what program do you use?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
All right, drums arrangment is my thing...

if you are at 70-100 bmp, try this

legend:
0 = step clicked
o = step unclicked...

KICK = 0oo0 oo0o oo0o oo00
Snare= oooo 0ooo oooo 0ooo
HiHat = 0o0o 0o0o 0o0o 0o0o

it that what you where looking for?

also, check a thread Wings posted (in the Ressource section)

1. Lesson 1: A Few Basics and Some Genres: http://www.wayneandwax.org/lessons/musiclesson1.html

I answered a question about drums on another thread:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112394&postcount=11

and N.U.G did a thread about different drum patterns:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10941

Enjoy!!!!

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
There's alot of way to achive a "offset feel". Jazzy Jeff mentioned having his hi-hats going a bit offset to get a more "offset" feel.

If you make your drums with quantization you won't achive this.

M

mr wires

if ur using FL, an easy way to find this out is by getting midi files of the songs u want. Then open up the drum patterns on piano roll and there it is. /////////// mr wires

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
In that "Funky West Coast Shit" if you notice, all the drums are played about a 32nd note before it "should" hit, giving it a hoppy-jumpy feel to it. Try to shift your entire drum line over and see what it sounds like.

I noticed in the song "City" by Wu-Tang back in the days (Wu Tang Forever Album) Rza had snares in it that were a touch early.

Some software allows you to "humanize" or "randomize" your midi track, but you do lose something when you do it.

I don't know FL Studio at all, but in the old version of Fruity Loops you couldn't really randomize anything, let alone quantize. If you can't in Studio, get some better software, like Reason, Cubase or Digital Performer, and read up on quantizing. Then, you may want to quantize the hats and the kick, but not the snares or something. Or let the hats be lagging and everthing else in time. But in hip hop, it's usually the snares that are slightly offset that give it that effect you want.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it is usually a 16th3rd swing on the kick in hip hop (reminicent of hard bop and later fusion drummers such as art blakey etc.) rarely will you have to quantise lower than this on hip hop drums (rolls and etc. are different and southern hats etc. are often using rhythms at 32nd3rds)

i often just play in drum patterns on my sp-404 now tho and loop them as it is quicker and if you practice like this and only redo/delete certain notes as you get better banging out ideas will be more effecient.