NY Oil up for possible grammy

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Basically good message! Wrong choice of words in my opinion. Words like "Lynched"...whoa! I c why its getting pushed for a grammy. Racist people are sitting back laughing there ass off at a brother "metaphorically" or other wise advocating that somebody be lynched. He even said "Coon" and a few other deep rooted racially charged words. They hang 3 nuces from a tree in Jena La. and most of us go sign a petition. Its definitely getting him a buzz but I don't see it getting him much else. We may call each other the N word with a "gga" at the end which softens it up and doesn't carry the same racial meaning, but I've never heard one brother calling another brother a coon or saying shit like "I hope they lynch that nigga". I've been on this planet for a minute and I've never heard that in the hood. He could have delivered the same message with a better choice of vocab and it would have been felt just the same. I guess he was going for the shock factor. If Eminem would have came with a song like that we would be setting shit on fire. Not a good look in my opinion!

I know my kids listen to b.s. but I wouldn't dare add that to what they already hear by the minute on the radio. Like I said....very needed message....very poor choice of words. 2 wrongs don't make a right!

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Basically good message! Wrong choice of words in my opinion. Words like "Lynched"...whoa! I c why its getting pushed for a grammy. Racist people are sitting back laughing there ass off at a brother "metaphorically" or other wise advocating that somebody be lynched. He even said "Coon" and a few other deep rooted racially charged words. They hang 3 nuces from a tree in Jena La. and most of us go sign a petition. Its definitely getting him a buzz but I don't see it getting him much else. We may call each other the N word with a "gga" at the end which softens it up and doesn't carry the same racial meaning, but I've never heard one brother calling another brother a coon or saying shit like "I hope they lynch that nigga". I've been on this planet for a minute and I've never heard that in the hood. He could have delivered the same message with a better choice of vocab and it would have been felt just the same. I guess he was going for the shock factor. If Eminem would have came with a song like that we would be setting shit on fire. Not a good look in my opinion!

I know my kids listen to b.s. but I wouldn't dare add that to what they already hear by the minute on the radio. Like I said....very needed message....very poor choice of words. 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Wassup LDB,
I agree with your logic, however my only disagreement is when you say "he could have delivered the same message with a better choice of vocab and it would have been felt just the same". I think the shock value of this track is one of the reasons that it got over one million plays online.
If Eminem came with that track, forget about it. Even me (a white boy) posting it is kind of fucked up, that irony is not lost on me. It is however an interesting snapshot showing the proliferation of simple stereotypes, violence and overall negativity. Forget the chorus, agree it's over the top, but when NY Oil is calling out for Chuck and KRS, for those of us in our thirtys (me), it makes you long for a time when this culture was used as a vehicle for dialogue, awareness and change. Don't forget PE's "By the Time I get to Arizona" was released before Arizona recognized MLK as a holiday. It's that sort of empowerment people need to be reminded of, to me that's what I get from it.
All music can heal, and it's a shame that so much of what mainstream radio fills us with is self destructive bullshit (violence, materialism, addicition, selfishness, etc).

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Reread what you just typed. You refered to KRS and PE! They delivered the same message and we got it...am I right? That's all I'm saying. Both of them are still doing it and everytime I hear them I understand. NY Oil comes with like 70% negativity and 30% empowerment. KRS and PE pointed out what we were doing wrong in music and as a culture but there percentage was the complete opposit of Oils. If you're trying to help someone you can't break them down and not build them back up at the same time. You get nothing positive out of that. If he was going for the shock value I'm sure he achieved it.

I wouldn't support him if he was homeless, in a wheel chair with a cup in his hand. Not as long as he sticks to those racially charged, distasteful words.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
The method on wax was definitely different back then, PE was basically 98% empowerement, KRS I'd put at about 90% (he always had one violent song on each record just to pull people in and get the larger message across).
One note regarding hip hop production, no one mentinoed it yet, but Common's Finding Forever was #1 on the Billboard chart last week. I honestly think the cliche that no one buys or listens to positive music is on it's way out, I really think that the audience wants more positive music and will pay money to hear it. Even in these days of downloading, there's a big opening for the right mc/producer to come with a positive record and get paid (especially if the beats and rhymes are up to par) IMO.
There's a large audience out there that's tired of the norm and wants some substance.

The method on wax was definitely different back then, PE was basically 98% empowerement, KRS I'd put at about 90% (he always had one violent song on each record just to pull people in and get the larger message across).
One note regarding hip hop production, no one mentinoed it yet, but Common's Finding Forever was #1 on the Billboard chart last week. I honestly think the cliche that no one buys or listens to positive music is on it's way out, I really think that the audience wants more positive music and will pay money to hear it. Even in these days of downloading, there's a big opening for the right mc/producer to come with a positive record and get paid (especially if the beats and rhymes are up to par) IMO.
There's a large audience out there that's tired of the norm and wants some substance.
I totally agree, the main thing I hear hiphop heads talking about now is "Real Hiphop" I think the need as well as the desire for it is there, maybe the labels will take note of the success of Common, and make moves in the right direction.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I tend to stear clear of the term "Real hip hop" I prefer authentic or hardcore. Why? Because most don't consider southern lyricism "real hip hop" and you won't get away with shutting the south down. Those days are behind us. There's room for everything even the bullshit! The problem is that all you hear is the bullshit right now. If they level the playing field for all music falling under the umbrella of "hip hop" then all will be satisfied. IMO the radio stations as far as subgenre's, need to be broken down some more to give the listener more choices. I think that's the biggest complaint as far as the "authentic" and "hardcore" hip hop heads. They don't have a choice of what they can listen to unless they get sirrus or some shit like that. If we had more choices in radio and video then I think alot of the bitchin moanin and groanin would stop. If you didn't want to listen to bullshit you could just tune your t.v. or radio to what you prefer. That's the happy medium that I think hip hop will eventually figure out and go with.

Trying to shut down a type of music because you don't like it or because you thinks it's not "real hip hop" will never work. Whether you like it or not someone does and that someone is winning out right now. We have to find a middle ground.

I tend to stear clear of the term "Real hip hop" I prefer authentic or hardcore. Why? Because most don't consider southern lyricism "real hip hop" and you won't get away with shutting the south down. Those days are behind us. There's room for everything even the bullshit! The problem is that all you hear is the bullshit right now. If they level the playing field for all music falling under the umbrella of "hip hop" then all will be satisfied. IMO the radio stations as far as subgenre's, need to be broken down some more to give the listener more choices. I think that's the biggest complaint as far as the "authentic" and "hardcore" hip hop heads. They don't have a choice of what they can listen to unless they get sirrus or some shit like that. If we had more choices in radio and video then I think alot of the bitchin moanin and groanin would stop. If you didn't want to listen to bullshit you could just tune your t.v. or radio to what you prefer. That's the happy medium that I think hip hop will eventually figure out and go with.

Trying to shut down a type of music because you don't like it or because you thinks it's not "real hip hop" will never work. Whether you like it or not someone does and that someone is winning out right now. We have to find a middle ground.

I have nothing against the South.
Scarface is from the south.. MadSkillz is from Virginia. It aint a north vs south thing, its a lyrical skillz thing.
If we would stop creating divisions that are easily manipulated into something they aint and started working together we could figure this thing out. Peace, Love & Unity style. Fuck the divisions, it used to be the east/west divide now its the south vs everyone else, thats bullshit. If an artist has skillz I dont give a fuck where they are from. I pay homage to the bronx and NYC music because its the birthplace of hiphop. To not honour that is like dissing your parents. And hiphop has been about adapting and inventing something new from something old, to not know that is to not know hiphop. The south has done its thing for as long as I can remember, they just did it differently back then. 2Live crew have been in it for ages. Im not sure where Masta Ace is from but I remember a track "Booming in My Jeep" Phat video by the way, loads of massive tits shaking about and big booty girls. That was a Miami bass beat.
I have noticed lil drama that you really are caught up in the whole divisions thing. Forget the divisions and unite to take the artform forward. The divisions are an illusion, see it for the bullshit it is.

ps I totally agree with you about the choice aspect, radio stations tend to play what they are paid to play these days, and those with the biggest marketing budget get the most airplay. The music industry on a whole needs to recognise the need for musical diversity. Shit just gets boring and then people become haters and all this division bullshit goes on.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
2good..that's false! You can't speak for me as I can't speak for you. But I am wise enough to know that if you consolidate it and pick and choose what you deem real or fake, good or bad it won't work. Time moves forward not backwards and by that I mean music is not going back to the way it was. You can pray, hope and wish on a star.....that just is not going to happen We need to make room for it all and give people a choice like I stated. There are just not enough choices right now. I don't see how you can argue that point. It's not an eastcost, westcoast dirty south thing with me. It's a this subgenre that subgenre thing and there's room for it all thing. If that's not clear I don't know what else to say.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
How soon we forget!

Its real funny how people want to put there on time stamp on what they call "real hip hop". Like from day one it was all about lyrcism and hot beats. It wasn't...at first is was all about blue lights in the basement party type shit. Everything str8 sampled... dance music!

Sugarhill Gang "It's nasty (Genius of Love), Step off ..if I'm not mistaking they were talking about a whole lotta bling bling in that song...lol big diamonds and shit, the message and white lines were the only concious songs on there first couple of albums. "Freedom" str8 bragadocious. Is this not where it all started? Hmmmm...I wonder is that's considered real hip hop and if so why?

Since everybody wants it to go back to the way it was....why not go back that far? I'm willing to bet a mill nobody wants that. Everybody wants it to go back to the era they deem "real hip hop".

Put on some hip hop for BB king, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson etc etc. They'll say "turn that shit off" with the quickness. I guarantee they don't own one hip hop album.

My point! We need not do what they tried to do and stiffle a music that we think is "bullshit". If it wasn't for hip hop some of them wouldn't be eating right now.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
im not talkin bout no one n particular ... but alotta music just sucks no way around it... and trust me these guys will not stay around for vey long either... if anyone thinks hurricane chris will even make it to a second album they are sadly mistaken.. one hit wonders .. im not mad at them cuz they played themselves... like jay-z says .. dig a hole.. bury urself... u can make a hit with a gimmick but u cant make a career with one. I like all types of hip hop, my beats and my rhymes have influences from evry coast... i got family and have spent time both down south and in the midwest besides just the east coast. i have a decent size record collection filled with everything from classical to hevy metal... ask class he will tell you that i listen to classic rock shit all day.. i draw on wide variety of infulences....

I say all that to say that some the new so called "hip hop" music im hearing right is plain and simple some of the worst music i have EVER heard, period, plain and simple. not the worst hip hop, the worst MUSIC ive heard. Fools rush in... no truer words have been spoken. alot of artist these days go into the industry purposely making themselves a gimmick just to get on, with no skill, no vision, and no respect for themselves it seems.. thats who should be lynched lol... these niggas is just making fools of themselves... straight up

i think what cats are mad about and myself included is the fact that anybody can hold the title of a rapper right now. that shit used to mean something. back then evrybody was nice. there was a minimum amount of skill u needed to even be fuced wit.. now literally anybody of the street can call themselves a rapper. i swear some of these cats ryhme like i used to rhyme in 6th grade and thats not a joke...... even worse actually i was on some shit back in the day lol... i grew up listening to wutang,outkast,nas,jay,big,pac.... those guys had better flow and better beats than the generation before them. but the generation after took a huge drop in skill... why? .. think about it ... jay was nice back then, but he was a fish in a lake... his shit was "on par" but nobody would dare call him th best ever... now he is the best thing we got lol.. and now lil wayne is all of a sudden the best now... my point is these guys are the best by default, because evrything else mainstream sucks, not because there music is so great.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
wasent feeling that song at all... i think there is better stuff to be nomintated but atlast he had the right idea in mind but he could have went about it different

as far as the whole whack music thing...

There is ALOT of whack shit coming out the south right now... I mean ALOT... im not saying its the souths fault but damn man we need some balance... cats like stat-quo need to become more vocal bout this ish... becasue this whole hurrican chirs, d4l snap movment is making shit look real coonish... now there is nothing wrong with dance music... I came up on luke and jam poney express Dj's but .. right now there is no balance and most of the shit coming out the south these days is straigh up trash...And what makes it worse is when cats from other area;s try to inmtiate this stuff , which sounds even more waterd down...

Also i dont think the south is ontop of the hip hop map right now... its just a specific sound out the south(the crunk dance shit) that is popular... southern hip hop culture as a whole is still unknown to the masses......

members online