Nicki Minaj saga

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I can't believe I'm posting about her but actually it's not really about her, it's more about what happened. I don't follow all this hip hop gossip but I found this story interesting.

Apparently she has a new song out:

And radio guy Peter Rosenberg didn't like the song and said it was "wack". She then freaked out and cancelled her performance for the Hot 97 summer show.

Now - is this cool? I mean, just because someone doesn't like your song, does that justify not performing? Seems childish to me. What's worse is Funkmaster Flex thinks it sucks too and now everyone's on him about his comments. What gives? Does everyone have to be nice to one another no matter what? What ever happened to criticism? Take the good with the bad?

I think all artists should be ready for criticism, especially how things are today in the world where everyone criticizes everything.

What do you think?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
oh man, I just had a artist freak out on me and unfriend me on facebook because of some constructive feedback I gave about a project she wanted me to work on for free. I was not even critical. People are nuts. Criticism is great! and Nicki Minaj SUCKS!

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sounds like a super inflated ego because a bunch of people with no ears but think she looks good keep telling her that her music is hot.

Orrrrrr that people tell her SHE is hot and she misconstrues that to mean her music is hot.

Either way I find her incredibly annoying and I feel she has ruined a big piece of women in hip-hop.

I find I can listen to Lady Gaga as long as I do not SEE her. Nikki on the other hand, no -- I just can't not looking or otherwise.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
"my opinion, im a grown ass woman..."

transgender bitch please, Flex > Minaj and Flex is highly rated on what he considers good or not. Flex has to do shit and dont even understand that interview stress posted... That bitch should PAY!!! flex if she wants him to promote her shit..

"wayne has been my mentor"
there you go...

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
This is good for the culture. What used to be the pinnacle of all Hip Hop shows (Summerjam) is now a joke. I'm glad Rosenburg publicly called her shit wack in front of the NY/NJ crowd. Best part is, Nas was supposed to come out wit Minaj for Queens and instead he did a set with Lauren Hill.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Hmmm...lauryn hill or Nicki Minaj... Wow...that's a tough call.....

And by 2500 car lengths, Lauryn Hill edges out Nicki Minaj!!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
For the record, Nicki Minaj is forced to do this type of music, if she REALLY went hip-hop with it...she is actually pretty good....

I actually dig the song, for what it is.

She is a crossover artist, not just a hip-hop artist....

She's the Lady Gaga of hip-hop.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Am I the only one that realizes that new song is pure club music? That's great if you're into it, but I just don't see how anyone can consider her anything related to hip hop. She's completely pop/club.

I agree with Stress. I think it's about time people started shaking things up instead of kissing each other's asses all the time.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I watched the vid with the sound off..

Id poke her, thats all Im thinking when I watch the vid.

Ok I listened to it a little, I mean its a pop song nothing more or less.
Little kids are gonna like jump around to it at weddings (the edited version).
Lyrically yes its wack. But she is doing pop/club here is all I hear.

Honestly it sounds like any artist off the Nickolodeon label, highly processed highly T Pained.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^its nowhere related to hiphop indeed.

This is all about promotion and HER best promotion was just to show up and summerjam. The interview made it worse for her appearance because 95% she blabs about is besides the point, which flex made. You back up your ego by showing up and instead she let her fans down. I doubt the impact though haha, hearing Nas ended up with Hill leaves Minaj way out in a tiny shadow.

Flex is really politicaly correct there, props for saving face there but business wise if you're in my face talking about how much influence 97 has then she should know better than to talk about her financial achievements and play nice. Personaly, i wouldnt book her anymore and 97 can easily get away with that.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Look, I'm going to break it down for you. I'm going to be super-cynical and call me out if you think it's BS:

This is a contrived event that was created to bring attention to Nicki Minaj and Hot 97. My prediction is they will "make up" in some kind of Nicki Minaj headline show. I can't think of better publicity than such a contrived event.

"Starships" has been out for 15 weeks already and only hit #5. The "controversy" will make people more aware of it and will likely boost her up. Honestly, if the song hasn't gone number #1 in 15 weeks, it likely won't. This "controversy" will help her sell the song using the narrative that YMCMB publicists contrived as "standing up for women."

Since women purchase most music, especially pop music by Nicki Minaj -- this entire episode is a brilliant way to make more money, since people will check out (and buy) the song.

I heard Rosenburg and he's right, it's not hip-hop it's hip-pop. The industry is in the same state as it was in 1999 when Murder Inc. was at the top of the charts with Ja Rule and Ashanti running the charts.

If I was younger, I would scour the internet and the streets for the next 50 Cent (the original pre-Vitamin Water 50 Cent), with a comparable personal mythology and street cred (was shot, incarcerated, etc.) and then market this rapper as a "solution" to all the fake hip-hop.

Welcome to the cycle repeating itself every 10 years, gentlemen. Welcome to what I what I wrote about 10 years ago on this forum with the "mook" and "midriff" in marketing.

Package the gangster rapper I talk about as the antithesis to Lil' Wayne and the fake stuff and watch the money roll in. Position Lil' Wayne as the next Ja Rule. Call him out on his women pants, kissing Birdman, whack rhymes etc.

The guy would be a folk-hero, much like 50 Cent was at the top of his game when "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" came out.

The people are hungry, they need to feel "real" again. Everything is too pop.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I agree with God, it makes sense!

So right now I'm going on record saying that StressWon's latest single sucks donkey balls. This one:

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Fade that DOES suck DOnkey Balls tho.. I didnt hear ANY auto Tune !!????

Look, I'm going to break it down for you. I'm going to be super-cynical and call me out if you think it's BS:

This is a contrived event that was created to bring attention to Nicki Minaj and Hot 97. My prediction is they will "make up" in some kind of Nicki Minaj headline show. I can't think of better publicity than such a contrived event.

"Starships" has been out for 15 weeks already and only hit #5. The "controversy" will make people more aware of it and will likely boost her up. Honestly, if the song hasn't gone number #1 in 15 weeks, it likely won't. This "controversy" will help her sell the song using the narrative that YMCMB publicists contrived as "standing up for women."

Since women purchase most music, especially pop music by Nicki Minaj -- this entire episode is a brilliant way to make more money, since people will check out (and buy) the song.

I heard Rosenburg and he's right, it's not hip-hop it's hip-pop. The industry is in the same state as it was in 1999 when Murder Inc. was at the top of the charts with Ja Rule and Ashanti running the charts.

If I was younger, I would scour the internet and the streets for the next 50 Cent (the original pre-Vitamin Water 50 Cent), with a comparable personal mythology and street cred (was shot, incarcerated, etc.) and then market this rapper as a "solution" to all the fake hip-hop.

Welcome to the cycle repeating itself every 10 years, gentlemen. Welcome to what I what I wrote about 10 years ago on this forum with the "mook" and "midriff" in marketing.

Package the gangster rapper I talk about as the antithesis to Lil' Wayne and the fake stuff and watch the money roll in. Position Lil' Wayne as the next Ja Rule. Call him out on his women pants, kissing Birdman, whack rhymes etc.

The guy would be a folk-hero, much like 50 Cent was at the top of his game when "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" came out.

The people are hungry, they need to feel "real" again. Everything is too pop.

Wow lol, I read the mook and midriff thing , lol, yep looks that way.

Thing is, there are a shit load of actually "real" folk.
It baffles me that no one actually just puts out real music if for no other sake than to keep pissing off that element that always follows this combination every decade?

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
well.. im on Nicki's side on this... if this was Gaga or Fergie doin that song, no one would say a word.. but since its Nicki, its a prob.. she said b4 that she wanted to do other types of songs.. she was done with covers like "Warning" and "Jump Off" and she showed she can go in with "NIGGA" and "Monsta"... When LL made "Goin Back to Cali" i was like "what tha fuck is this bs?! but LL said "yo, im an artist, and i wanted to try something else, i've done all types of Hip Hop, and i dont wanna be put in a box" (and now that song hook is iconic).. years later, Kanye does the same thing with 808s... and we do it as producers.. no one here is always doin 100% Hip Hop.. i know for a FACT, we got other genres in the stash.. so im not even mad at wat she's doin... i wouldve been 10-20 yrs ago, but the landscape has changed...do i like every song? Hell No... but Starships is NOT the song to even bring up... "Stupid Hoe"... "Beez in tha Trap"? yes... but "Starships"? cmon..

and how are u gonna dis her and then expect her to grace ur stage? i wouldnt be surprised if its a ploy, but i also wouldnt be surprised if she goes to Power 105 now.

da relic

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Its 2 possible reasons
1: Money, you dont support places that get you to headline and speak out against you, effectively using your name for promo and hype. Hiphop rules dictate that you go out and diss Rosenburg and go about your set, but this is a business 1st now. You protect your brand and performing wouldve only driven more hype to THEIR event.

and/or 2: Money, see G's reason

This is a contrived event that was created to bring attention to Nicki Minaj and Hot 97. My prediction is they will "make up" in some kind of Nicki Minaj headline show. I can't think of better publicity than such a contrived event...

Apparently Hot97 was playing YM songs all morning the next day. "Break up, to make up"